Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC
Newspaper Page Text
Anderson College is located in
the delightful Piedmont region of
South Carolina, in sight of the Blue
Ridge Mountains. The dry, brac
ing air of this section makes it an
ideal place for growing girls and
boys. The College Plant is on the
outskirts of the City of Anderson.
The City is in easy walking dis
tance, and the electric railway
stops just in front of the Main
Being near a city, but not in it,
is a distinct advantage to a col
lege. The students are removed
from the ordinary distractions of
city life. Their health can be bet
ter guarded. A larger campus can
JAMES P. KIN ARD, Ph. D.,
C. M. FAITHFULL, A. B
Just after the recer
They were entertained by
were said about the Collei
editors had to say :
Early next morning two cars,
which luid lieen furnished hy the
Piedmont and Northern were filled
with thc editors and their friends
an?' n trip made to Anderson. Mr.
William Banks, editor of the An
derson Intelligencer, arranged
every detail of this outing and was
an ideal host. The country travers
ed was u part of the beautiful Pied
mont section. The Interurban pass
es a number of thriving manufact
uring centers. Arrived at Anderson,
we editors were hospitably received
and entertained at a splendid new
institution of learning. Anderson
College. Here the president, trus
tees and their wives and a number
of representative citizens conducted
their guests over the handsome
building. Anderson College is one
of the younger colleges for the
higher education of young women,
but it is doing a great work already.
The Baptists of the State have rea
son to be proud of Anderson Col
lege. Plans set on foot by the An
derson Chamber of Commerce led
to an offer of $100,000 and a site
and the Baptists decided to build
the college. The buildings are large
and comfortable, the dormitories de
serving of especial mention. The
rooms nre arranged en suite with
baths between every two rooms.
Though the college is only two
years old, it is already well equip
ped and can easily care for a large
number of student*. Dr. James P.
Kinard, formerly professor of Eng
lish at the Citadel and also at Win
throp, is president of this thriving
Institution and he has an excellent
corps of teachers. - Lancaster
News, July 17th.
THE EDITORS AT ANDERSON COLLEGE
it meeting of the State Press Association at Chick Springs, a few of the editor
the city, and lunch was served to them in the large dinning room of Anderson C
*e on the return of the editors to their homes. Following are two "samples"
MAIN BUILDING AND DORMITORIES.
s came over to Anderson,
ollege. Many nice things
of the kinds of things the
The Inst day of thc Association'?
meet was spent in the best town in
South Carolina or any other State.
We refer to Anderson, whose ever
lisping*slogan is"MyTown." "Billy"
Banks, the editor of the Anderson
Intelligencer, conducted us over thc
recently constructed and superior In
terurban Railway. We were taken
then to the handsome, newly finished
"Anderson College for Women. "
This magnificently appointed and
equipped college was a revelation to
us. At tremendous cost these An
derson people have established this
excellent seat of learning, and the
money was raised right in the town,
and no sign of debt hangs over il.
We inspected the whole building in
all its departm :nts, and ?ts modern
and thoroughly :ip-to-date r.ppoint
ments will equal anything in this
latitude.-Edgefield Chronicle, July