Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC
Newspaper Page Text
ONE HUNDRED REASONS
Why Blease Should not be Re-elected Governor
The following reasons given by one
hundred cltlzons of Anderson county
?why BleaBe should not be re-elected
governor Is the result of a ennvaas
by the Jones headquarters and each
reason Is the opinion of a different
1. Because he says "To hell with
2. Because he said he would make
the gang that opposed him sweat
3. Because he would not discharge
Stothart when It was proven that he
took graft and he himself went upon
the stand and would not answer
claiming that It would Incriminate.
5. Because no man can get a Job
unless he buys It by a vote for Blease.
6. Because he discharged the first
winding up commission thnt had re
covered so much money from the
7. Because he villttles men of un
8. Because he publicly advocates
9. Because he has too many crooks
for his bosom friends.
10. Because he pardoned Wash
Hunter his own client from which he
bar received money as attorney.
11. (BeCAUSO he pardoned John
Black, the grafter, and stands by his
friends no matter where they stand.
12. Because Judge Ira B. Jones Is
too much the better man.
13. Because he always tried to
bloc); Investigation of the old dispen
14. Because he wants to he the
h. Because he Insulted the lady
ticket agent at Belton.
lfi. Because he pardoned the Yan
17. Because he allows Just anybody
to call him a liar.
18. Because he has been weighed
and found wanting.
19. Because he Is using hypnotic In
fluence and suggestion on the ignor
ant people wherever he enn.
20. Because he vetoed a bill to pay
for dlptherla antitoxin to the poor
children who were not able to buy it.
21. Because he has pardoned or pa
roled 375 criminals and given reasons
for only f>? in his book.
22. Because he vetoed the bill al
lowing Charleston to have a commis
sion form of government thereby re
fusing to allow local sentiment to
govern In a matter Involving no moral
23. Because of general inconsisten
24. Because ho irrnys class against
class when we need to pull together
for the good of our state.
2.">. Because he regards his will
higher than the law.
26. Because he is In sympathy with
the Wall street interests as shown by
his support of Harmon.
27. Because he was in favor of In
creasing the taxes on the people to
add a $900.000 wing to the state
house, and at the same time he says
he Is the p^or man's friend.
28. Because he should not have vot-<
ed for Jones for speaker and asso
ciate justice and senator If Jones was
such a bad mane as Blease now pro
29. Because his Immoral language
emanating from the mouth of the
highest executive officer of the state,
Is dcgrudiug to the youth of the land.
30. Because be pardons negroes
thai burn bouses and barns.
31. Because he keeps Ben Abney In
32. Because of his abuse of Oov.
Brown and all the citizens of our sis
ter state of Georgia.
33. Because he Is In sympathy
with grafters. He will say not but
'his every act has befriended them.
34. Because he proclaims that he
will violate his oath of office and lead
35. Because he tries to prove his
Innocence of graft by grafter witness
36. Because he has adopted as his
flag the red flag of anarchy.
37. Because of his opposition in
stitutions of higher learning.
38. Because he pardoned Hasty,
who killed two unarmed men in his
39. Because he sets at nought too
much work of jurors.
40. Hecause It was necessary for
bis own friends to Join In expunging
his dirty message from the journal.
41. Because he voted for a bill to
close the schools to children whose
parents were too poor to pay poll tax.
42. Because he voted against the in
come tax and in favor of the rich
man. A poor man has no income tax
b3. Because he ignored the old par
don board and without the aid of
their services turned down the ver
dict of 4,500 jurors.
44. Because be Is a dangerous dem
47. Because we don't want a dic
tator in South Carolina.
48. Because his re-election would
mean a reign of lawlessness and cor
ruption worse than In the time of
Scott and Moses.
49. Because he has tried to usurp
the powers of the three departments
of the government, the legislative
and judicial as well as the executive.
50. Because Ben Tlllman says
Blease has muddled the waters.
51. Because he Is and has been al
lied with the criminal element In our
society while he poses as the friend
of the poor and honest men.
52. Because he cries persecution,
when he himself Is ever and anon ac
cusing others without any semblance
53. Because be has accused Judge
Jones of favoring social equality and
Tillman says no sane man will be
64. Because he accused Judge Jones
of being of mixed blood.
55. Because he accuses Ben Abney
of bribing Judge Jones for the South
ern Railway and In turn eulogizing
the man he accuses of bribery.
56. Recause be said be would vote
for Tatt If Wilson was the democrat
57. Because the republicans favor
68. Because he claims to be the
poor man's friend when all he wants
Is his vote.
59. Because he threatened Charles
ton with metropolitan police If they
didn't vote for him.
60. Because he pardoned a man on
a hand primary when he should have
referred It to the pardon board.
61. Because as a legislator be was
never known to take the moral side
of any Issue.
63. Because life Insurance money
now coming Into this state at 5 and 6
per cent, will likely be withdrawn If
this lawlessness continues.
64. Because the Blease winding up
commission did not recover a cent for
the state and put a stop to the good
work of the Aosel commission.
66. Because the Southern Railway
has a friend in the white house, und
the governor's chief adviser is also
66. Because Bleuse voted against
the reduction of railroad fares in 1907.
67. Because It takes money to get
a pardon and only Blease lawyers can
get them then.
68. Because he is trying to estab
lish ring rule by "my" friends.
69. Because if he is re-elected we
will have no use for our court houses
70. Because he offered to pardon the
man who would kill any man who ac
ted as King and Watson acted.
71. Because he stands by his friends
and others need not apply.
72. Because he furnished the su
preme court a list of ellglbles, when
it was none of his business to name
the special judges.
73. Because he Is making the negro ]
an issue Instead of himself.
74. Because he threatens to wreak
vengeance on those who dure to dis
agree with him.
75. Because he won't take the $100
reward offered by Judge Jones for
some one to get TUlman to say that
Blease Is eminently qualified for gov
76. Because lie has accused the su
preme court of corruption.
77. Because South Carolina can't
afford to lose the services of a man
like Ira B. Jones.
78. Because he wouldn't sign the
bills or veto them, thereby shirking
79. Because his language at Bam
berg drove the ladles away.
80. Because the eyes of the world
are on South Carolina.
81. Because he said Georgia couldn't
raise anything but pimps.
82. Because he pardoned Glenn of
lvexlngton who shot Rhoden with his
hands up and didn't allow him to
serve a day and Rembert, Blease's
house leader, got $300 for the Job.
83. Because he voted for free pass
es to legislators.
84. Because he has two railway
clerks as his secretaries.
85. Because he voted against feder
al aid In road building.
86. Because he favored abolishing
the office of bank examiner.
87. Because he favored abolishing
the insurance commissioner's office
thereby allowing fake Insurance com
panies to come back into the state
and rob the people.
88. Because Tillman says .Tones Is
eminently qualified while he doesn't
say as much of Blease.
89. Because he pardoned three ne
groes who beat and robbed a poor
white man and left him tied to a tree.
90. Because he was on the board
of trustees of the negro college when
the steam plant was installed, and
then went over the Btate cussing the
legislature for keeping it up.
91. Because Jones has proven to be
the white man's friend in 1876 while
Blease is only talk.
92. Because of his inaugural ad
93. Because he voted to let the rail
roads keep secret who were carrying
94. Because Sam Nichols talked too
much about him and Blease put his
stamp of approval on Sam.
95. Because he treated King and
96. Because Hub Evans, Rawllnson,
Black and Tow ill are among his fav
97. Because he pardoned Fleming,
who shot the sons or two Confederate
veterans In the town of Springfield.
98. Because he called Woodrow |
Wilson the tool of corporations.
99. Because his own ward in New
berry wouldn't send him as a dele
gate to the county convention.
100. Because Senator Tillmans says.
'Sensible men will never weigh Sen
ator Tillman and Qov. Blease in the
same scales. If the fools do it is not
any fault of mine."
MAKES PIMPLES ?0.
Kemarkable How Zcmo Clears the Face
of Pimples and All Other Blemishes
With the linger tips apply a little
Zemo to the skin, then sec the pim
ples and blackheads vanish. Zemo is
a liquid, not a smear, leaves no trace,
just simply sinks in and does the
work. You will be astonished to find
how quickly eczema, rash, dandruff,
Itch, liver spots, salt rheum, and all
other skin diseases are cured.
Zemo is put up by the E. W. Rose
Medicine Co., St. Louis, Mo., and is
regularly sold by all druggists at $1
for the large bottles, but you can
get a liberal size trial bottle for only
25 cents. And this trial bottle is guar
anteed. You surely will find Zemo a
wonder. Get a bottle now from I>au
rens Drug Co.
Auto Repairs that will cost
you the least owing to our
complete shop equipment for
quick work?least charges
Repairing that ' 'stays re
paired"?that means getting
car-service out of your ma
chine. Try this combinatiuo
get our estimate!
W. P. HUDGENS
Laurens, S. C.
Jno. W. Kerguiwi C. C. Feathers ton?
W. B. Kaifht
FERGUSON, FEAT HER STONE ft KNMHT
AttorMjri at Law
I Laartai, *. C.
Prompt and earoUl attention givoa
to all )umh??m.
Office Over Pslmett* Bank.
Bucklen's Arnica Salve
The Best Salve In The World.
- ^ ... - I^S^V^j
j MULES WANTED!
I I will be at Counts, Stables, Laurens, S. C,
Friday and Saturday,
Aug. 23rd and 24th
to buy Fifty head of good big Mules from
4 to 8 years old. No small or aged mules
W. R. SEAHORN
?^^Cou^Stables, Laurens, 5. C. WHITE PINE^ENN.