About The Fort Mill news. volume (None) 1890-1892
- The Fort Mill news. volume : (None) 1890-1892
- Geographic coverage:
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1890; ceased in 1892.
- Fort Mill (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- South Carolina--Fort Mill.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214681
- South Carolina--York County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213427
- York County (S.C.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. I, No. 29 (April 29, 1891); title from masthead.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 2, No. 36 (June 15, 1892).
- sn 93067905
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Fort Mill Times and The Fort Mill News
The weekly Fort Mill Times (1892-current) came into existence just as the forces of industrialization and development were starting to remake the economic and physical landscape of York County, South Carolina. Sadly, many early issues are missing, and much of what is known about the Fort Mill Times in its formative years has been gleaned from the Yorkville Enquirer, published in the nearby town of Yorkville. By most accounts, the Fort Mill Times began as the Fort Mill News, which was established by William Benjamin Ardrey in 1890. Ardrey chose as its slogan, "Do good unto all men," presumably in reference to Galatians 6:10. In 1892, Baptist minister John Eugene McManaway assumed ownership, and from all appearances, used his platform to conduct a long-running public feud with John Lawton Harley, the minister to the Methodist churches in Fort Mill. The latest available issue of the Fort Mill News is dated June 15, 1892.
That same year, William Rufus Bradford, Sr., launched the Fort Mill News (he had previously published the Fort Mill Catawbian). In September 1893, Bradford left Fort Mill to accept a job with the United States Government Printing Office in Washington, D.C. The Fort Mill Times struggled over the next seven years, suspending publication on at least two documented occasions. In 1900, William Bradford returned to Fort Mill, ready to reestablish his control of the paper. On March 24, 1900, the Yorkville Enquirer gushed, "Fort Mill again has a weekly newspaper, and from the appearance of the first issue, which has just come to hand, it is to be a better newspaper than Fort Mill has had heretofore."
William Bradford remained involved with the Fort Mill Times for over forty years. In addition to editing the Times, he also served as mayor of Fort Mill, York County clerk of court, and South Carolina representative. His brother, Bennett Walter Bradford, presumably handled the day-to-day responsibilities of running the paper. In 1943, William Rufus Bradford, Jr., took over the Times and gave it a new vitality. Like his father, William Bradford, Jr., spent several decades editing the Times before finally selling it in 1979. The Fort Mill Times is currently owned by the Herald Publishing Company based in Rock Hill, South Carolina.
Provided by: University of South Carolina; Columbia, SC