Search America's historic newspapers pages from - or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
title: 'The Jewish South. (Richmond, Va.) 1893-1899, August 19, 1898, Image 6',
meta: 'News about Chronicling America - RSS Feed',
Image provided by: Library of Virginia; Richmond, VA
All ways to connect
Inspector General |
External Link Disclaimer |
THE JEWISH SOUTH.
A JOURNAL DEVOTED TO THE INTERESTS OF
HERBERT T. EZEKIEL, Editor and Fab'isfier,
826 East Main Stkekt.
Subscription, $1 per annum, in advance.
Single Copy, Five Cents.
Advertising- Rate, SO cents per inch.
Resolutions and other Reading Notices, 10
cents per line.
Entered nt the Post-Office, Kichmonri, Va., ns second class tnntter.
The death of the venerable Isidor Bush, of St.
Louis, will be received with expressions of regret
throughout theentirecountrv, that sad event having
occurred on the 4th instant.
Mr. Bush was born in Prague, Bohemia, in 1822.
In company with Carl Schurz, Colonel Heckcr, and
other champions of liberty, he left the land of his na
tivity during the revolution of 1848 and came to
America. They landed in New York, and Mr. Bush
began the publication of Israel's Herald, the first
Jewish paper published in the United States. This
did not prove a success, and the following year he
moved to St. Louis and engaged in the wholesale
grocery business until the breaking out of the war,
when he became secretary to General John C. Fre
mont, the pathfinder. Shortly after the war he en
gaged in grape raising and wine manufacturing, in
which business he remained until his death. He
wrote a book on grape culture which is a recognized
authority and was translated into five languages.
Mr. Bush was especially prominent in the B'ne
B'rith. He was president of the Grand Lodge of
District No. 2 in 1872, and for twenty-four years was
chairman of the endowment fund which owed much
to his successful administration. Under his direction
more than $1,000,000 was paid out to widows and
orphans and a reserve fund of $350,000 accumulated.
The decased attended the Constitution Grand
Lodge in Richmond in June, 1890, and, if we mistake
not, was treasurer of that body.
Slowly the Jaeger case is drawing its weary
length along. The trial has been in progress over a
week, and at the present writing no conclusion has
been arrived at. At every turn the accused has ex
pressed fear that justice would not be done him on
account of his " nationality," and he has shown an
irritability and nervousness that seem to bear oul
the assertion of the Jewish Voice, that Jaeger has
not been himself since that day a quarter of a cen
tury ago, when he abjured his faith and relinquished
the rabbinate to become a Baptist minister.
On several occasions, when hard pressed and
things were going against him, Jaeger appealed not
to "his Jesus," but cried out tragically, "My God,
whj' hast Thou forsaken me." He has probably for
gotten that he first forsook his God.
All the evidence thus far tends to show that Jae
ger's unbalanced mentality is at last apparent to all.
And this is but another proof that no person of nor
mal intelligence would desert Judaism for any other
We publish this week a letter from the Women's
Branch of the Young Men's Hebrew Association of
Philadelphia. The communication would be very
much to the point but for the fact that Richmond
has no Y. M. H. A., and consequently an auxiliary is
out of the question.
It happens, however, that The Jewish South is
read in other cities which have a Y. M. H. A., and
where it will prove of interest.
By the way, can any of our readers tell us why it
is that Richmond is the only city of its size in the
country that has neither Y.M.H. A. nor a Council of
Jewish Women ?
•WHomcn'o Buxiltar. to tbe 1?. ft. _. H.
Philadelphia, August 13, 1898.
To the Editor of The Jewish South :
About five years ago the Y. M. H. A. of this city
determined to establish a Women's Auxiliary Branch,
in the hope of arousing an interest in their work—an
interest that had long lain dormant in the Jewish
community. The result has fully justified its exist
ence and proved that the Women's Branch is a valu
ble addition to the parent organization.
Perhaps it would be well to give some idea of the
nature and scope of our work. Our members num
ber five hundred ; dues one dollar per year —one-fiftli
of what our brothers pay—and our privileges an
the same as theirs, namely: access to the rooms a 1
all times, use of the library and gymnasium, and ad
mission to all entertainments given by the Y. M. H
A. In return the Women's Branch has established
various classes, viz.: French, German, choral, and
literature. Various receptions and one or two enter
tainments throughout the active season constitute
our work; but we do not confine our attentior
merely to the association, but endeavor to widen the
field of labor, and it is mainly owing to the memben
/\f tin. Y\7/\tiioii 'c Ttt-nnr»li tlmf +110 Si it n/1 na- cr>li/wtlc 11