About Clayton enterprise. (Clayton, Union County, N.M.) 1888-1906
Clayton, Union County, N.M. (1888-1906)
- Clayton enterprise. : (Clayton, Union County, N.M.) 1888-1906
- Place of publication:
- Clayton, Union County, N.M.
- Geographic coverage:
- J.E. Curren
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 18, 1888)- ; -v. 2, no. 29 (Sept. 14, 1906).
- Clayton (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Union County (N.M.)--Newspapers.
- Aug. 24-Sept. 14, 1906 banner reads "We have been enjoined from using our former name 'The Clayton Enterprise' until after September 10." The title was changed to Clayton Citizen with Sept. 21, 1906.
- In English and Spanish.
- Volume numbering changed in (1904?) when a new publisher took over.
- sn 94056928
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Clayton Enterprise commenced weekly publication in Clayton, Union County, New Mexico, on May 17, 1888, and continued through September 14, 1906. The origins of the town go back to the arrival in1888 of the Denver and Fort Worth Railroad in the Pecos Valley of northeastern New Mexico. The railroad provided market access for farmers and other who arrived in the area. Clayton suffered during the economic depression of the 1890s, but better prices and a wet cycle in the first years of the 20th century induced the arrival of a new flow of immigrants. Clayton and various other small towns emerged as trade centers, and as a result new journalistic ventures were launched. A one-year subscription to the Clayton Enterprise cost $2.00, and a six-month subscription was $1.25. Democratic in its politics, the paper covered local, territorial, national, and international news in English. On April 7, 1905, the Enterprise reported that President Theodore Roosevelt had passed through Clayton while on his annual hunting trip. In 1890, J.E. Curren, who published as many as three papers in Clayton with different managing editors, acquired the Enterprise. Editor and publisher Robert Q. Palmer took over the Enterprise around January of that year. In August 1906, a dispute arose among the paper’s owners, and an injunction was filed for the use of the name Clayton Enterprise. The issues of the newspaper that appeared between August 24 and September 14, 1906, contained the following notice: “We have been enjoined from using our former name the Clayton Enterprise until after September 10th”. In September 1906, the Clayton Enterprise was renamed the Clayton Citizen. During the First World War, the Clayton Citizen reported heavily on various aspects of the townspeople’s involvement in the war. The motto of the Enterprise had been: “Devoted to the Up building of Clayton, Union County, and Country in General.” The Citizen’s motto was similar: “Published in the interest of Clayton, Union County and Country in General”.
With many editors over the course of its lifetime, the political leanings of the paper vacillated between Democrat and Republican. Between 1893 and 1900, seven out of the ten papers in Union County, New Mexico, were published in Clayton, providing continuous competition for the Enterprise. At that time, instability accompanied by intense rivalries was the most striking feature of territorial journalism. Yet, the Citizen, proved the most successful of these newspapers. First launched in January 1909, the Clayton News absorbed the Citizen on August 27, 1926, and it was in turn absorbed by the Union County Leader on April 7, 1954.
Provided by: University of New Mexico