About The Gainesville sun. (Gainesville, Fla.) 190?-19??
Gainesville, Fla. (190?-19??)
- The Gainesville sun. : (Gainesville, Fla.) 190?-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Twice-a-week sun
- Place of publication:
- Gainesville, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- H.H. McCreary
- Dates of publication:
- Alachua County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Gainesville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 22, no. 72 (Apr. 9, 1903).
- Having begun as the Alachua (County, FL) advocate [LCCN: sn95026964] in the 1880s, the newspaper went through several title changes; and, as it was known in late 1800s, the Twice-a-week Sun [LCCN: sn95026968] finally became the Gainesville (FL) Sun [LCCN: sn95026969] which was published briefly during the early 1900s. Exact dates are uncertain; mast-heads and catalog data suggest that for only a brief time between 1903 and 1908 or 1918, the newspaper bore the title, the Gainesville (FL) Sun [LCCN: sn95026969]. The Gainesville Sun, like its predecessors, was published in Gainesville, Florida, and continued to describe itself as a "democratic" paper. It was published daily, except Mondays, by Henry Hamilton McCreary. H.H. McCreary is one of the best researched of Florida's newspaper publishers; documentation is maintained by the Florida Historical Society. In brief, McCreary came from a well established southern family, with prominent relatives throughout his contemporary American South. Following the completion of a degree from the University of Kentucky, McCreary established himself as a newspaper editor at the age of twenty. Throughout his publishing career, he also rose to prominence as a politician in the Democratic Party, first as a City Councilman and later as a member of the State Assembly, re-elected several times. McCreary considered himself a staunch patriot. He fervently supported industrialization as a means of strengthening Florida and the Nation. McCreary's wife, born Irene Richardson, was well connected in Gainesville and northeast Florida's civic networks as well. She served, for a time, both as Vice President of the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs and president of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The newspaper was continued by the Gainesville (FL) Daily Sun [LCCN: sn95026977]. Between 1903 and 1918, Gainesville's moderate phosphate, turpentine and tung oil industries made room for the industry that, today (ca. 2008) drives the Gainesville economy. In 1905, when the Florida Legislature sited the University of Florida, the State's college for men, in Gainesville, the city was known for its good drinking water and lack of other drink or activities that might get young men into trouble. The University offered its first classes in Gainesville in 1906, having relocated from its previous home in Ocala (FL). Along with its move, its mission had also changed, broadened from that of the East Florida Seminary that it had been. University population and offerings grew steadily over time. The University of Florida would not see its next growth spurt until 1925 when women were admitted, albeit under limiting circumstances, for the first time. Gainesville, since 1854, has been the seat of Alachua County (FL) government. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 37, no. 76 (Mar. 7, 1918).
- sn 95026969
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
The Daily Sun, Gainesville Daily Sun, and The Gainsville Sun
The Daily Sun was based in Gainesville, the seat of Alachua County and shipping center for Florida’s citrus region. The newspaper was formed through the merger in 1890 of the Gainesville Advocate and the Daily Morning Record .
The Daily Sun described itself as a “democratic” paper. It was published daily, except Mondays, by Henry Hamilton McCreary, the scion of a prominent southern family. After completing a degree at the University of Kentucky, McCreary established himself as a newspaper editor at the age of twenty. McCreary also rose to prominence as a politician in the Democratic Party, first as a city councilman and later as a member of the state assembly, to which he was re-elected several times. McCreary considered himself a staunch patriot and fervently supported industrialization as a means of strengthening Florida and the nation. McCreary’s wife, born Irene Richardson, was well connected in the civic networks of Gainesville and northeast Florida and served both as vice-president of the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs and president of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The Daily Sun was continued, in 1903, by the Gainesville Daily Sun which briefly carried the title of theGainesville Sun.
Provided by: University of Florida