About The daily sun. (Gainesville, Fla.) 1890-190?
Gainesville, Fla. (1890-190?)
- The daily sun. : (Gainesville, Fla.) 1890-190?
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Gainesville, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- H.H. McCreary
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1890.
- Daily (except Monday)
- Alachua County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Alachua County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214687
- Gainesville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 44 (Apr. 1, 1890).
- Latest issue consulted: 17th year (Dec. 22, 1900).
- The Daily Sun [LCCN: sn95026976] was published in Gainesville, Florida. The newspaper formed through the merger of the Gainesville (FL) Advocate [LCCN: sn95026974] and the Daily Morning Record [LCCN: sn95026975], also published in Gainesville, sometime in 1890. The Daily Sun described itself as a "democratic" paper. It was published daily, except Mondays, by Henry Hamilton McCreary. H.H. McCreary is one of the best researched of Florida's newspaper publishers; documentation is maintained by the Florida Historical Society. In brief, McCreary came from a well established southern family, with prominent relatives throughout his contemporary American South. Following the completion of a degree from the University of Kentucky, McCreary established himself as a newspaper editor at the age of twenty. Throughout his publishing career, he also rose to prominence as a politician in the Democratic Party, first as a City Councilman and later as a member of the State Assembly, re-elected several times. McCreary considered himself a staunch patriot. He fervently supported industrialization as a means of strengthening Florida and the Nation. McCreary's wife, born Irene Richardson, was well connected in Gainesville and northeast Florida's civic networks as well. She served, for a time, both as Vice President of the Florida Federation of Women's Clubs and president of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The newspaper was continued, in 1903, by the Gainesville (FL) Daily Sun [LCCN: sn95026977]. Between 1890 and 1903, Gainesville grew as a citrus shipping center for the surrounding region. The city's rail connections to Palatka (FL) and Jacksonville (FL) to the northeast and Cedar Key (FL) and Tampa (FL) to the southwest placed Gainesville at the center of a vast agricultural region. Following the Freeze of 1894, which devastated the region's orange and grapefruit groves, industries grew up around phosphates, turpentine and tung oil. By 1905, when the Florida Legislature sited the University of Florida, the State's college for men, in Gainesville, the city was known for its good drinking water and lack of other drink or activities that might get young men into trouble. Gainesville, since 1854, has been the seat of Alachua County (FL) government.--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 95026976
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
The Daily Sun, Gainesville Daily Sun and The Gainsville Sun
The Daily Sun was based in Gainesville, the seat of Alachua County and shipping center for Florida’s citrus region. The newspaper was formed through the merger in 1890 of the Gainesville Advocate and the Daily Morning Record .
The Daily Sun described itself as a “democratic” paper. It was published daily, except Mondays, by Henry Hamilton McCreary, the scion of a prominent southern family. After completing a degree at the University of Kentucky, McCreary established himself as a newspaper editor at the age of twenty. McCreary also rose to prominence as a politician in the Democratic Party, first as a city councilman and later as a member of the state assembly, to which he was re-elected several times. McCreary considered himself a staunch patriot and fervently supported industrialization as a means of strengthening Florida and the nation. McCreary’s wife, born Irene Richardson, was well connected in the civic networks of Gainesville and northeast Florida and served both as vice-president of the Florida Federation of Women’s Clubs and president of the United Daughters of the Confederacy.
The Daily Sun was continued, in 1903, by the Gainesville Daily Sun which briefly carried the title of theGainesville Sun.
Provided by: University of Florida