About The Gainesville star. (Gainesville, Fla.) 1903-19??
Gainesville, Fla. (1903-19??)
- The Gainesville star. : (Gainesville, Fla.) 1903-19??
- Alternative Titles:
- Gainesville twice-a-week star
- Place of publication:
- Gainesville, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- D.E. Godwin
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (May 1, 1903)-
- Alachua County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Gainesville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling American online collection.
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 2, no. 46 (Oct. 4, 1904).
- Publisher: D.E. Godwin, May 1, 1903-<Sept. 27, 1904>; W.L. Hill, Oct. 4, 1904-
- The Gainesville (FL) Star [LCCN: sn95047242] began with the issue for May 1, 1903 and was published by D.E. Godwin in Gainesville (FL). The newspaper subsequently published semiweekly at least through October 4, 1904 when W.L. Hill was serving as its publisher. Some issues bear the heading "Twice a Week" and publisher's information within some issues refers to the "Gainesville (FL) Twice a Week Star". The newspaper appears to have been affiliated with the Democratic Party. Between 1903 and 1906, Gainesville's moderate phosphate, turpentine and tung oil industries made room for the industry that, today (ca. 2008) drives the Gainesville economy. In 1905, when the Florida Legislature sited the University of Florida, the State's college for men, in Gainesville, the city was known for its good drinking water and lack of other drink or activities that might get young men into trouble. The University offered its first classes in Gainesville in 1906, having relocated from its previous home in Ocala (FL). Along with its move, its mission had also changed, broadened from that of the East Florida Seminary that it had been. Gainesville, since 1854, has been the seat of Alachua County (FL) government. The Gainesville Star carried the reprinted news of the world together with local news. Among the issues discussed regularly if not prominently was Gainesville's 1904 adoption of a "dry ticket" and the closure of saloons. The adoption of this ticket would later help Gainesville acquire the University from its completion in Live Oak (FL).--E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 95047242
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Gainesville star
The first issue of the Gainesville Star appeared on May 1, 1903. D.E. Godwin was its publisher, and the paper appeared semiweekly at least through October 4, 1904, by which time W.L. Hill had taken over its management. Some issues bear the heading “Twice a Week,” and publisher’s information occasionally referred to the “Gainesville Twice a Week Star.” The Star appears to have been affiliated with the Democratic Party.
The Gainesville Star carried reprinted stories from around the world while providing a good share of local news as well. Among the issues discussed regularly in its pages was the adoption in 1904 of a “dry ticket” and the resulting closure of the town’s saloons. The prohibition of alcohol would contribute the following year to the relocation in Gainesville of the University of Florida, the state’s college for men. Gainesville was known for its good drinking water and the lack of any other beverages or activities that might get young men into trouble.
Provided by: University of Florida