The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > The Palatka news and advertiser.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 8,787,116

Title:
The Palatka news and advertiser. : (Palatka, Fla.) 1908-19??
Alternative Titles:
  • Palatka news
Place of publication:
Palatka, Fla.
Geographic coverage:
  • Palatka, Putnam, Florida  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Russell & Vickers
Dates of publication:
1908-19??
Description:
  • New ser. vol. 16, no. 47 (Nov. 20, 1908)-
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Florida--Palatka.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215854
  • Florida--Putnam County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214942
  • Palatka (Fla.)--Newspapers.
  • Putnam County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • Also issued on microfilm from the University of Florida.
  • In 1885, Alex Wattles founded the Palatka (FL) Weekly Advertiser [LCCN: sn95047296], also referred to as the Palatka Advertiser, as an unaffiliated newspaper. There is evidence of a sibling title, the Palatka (FL) Daily Advertiser [LCCN sn95047295], in 1894. Little is known of the publishing history or patterns of either title. The Palatka Weekly Advertiser, in any case, was published until January 2, 1902 when, Wattles sold it to William Russell of Crescent City (FL) and M.M. Vickers. The newspaper then merged with the Crescent City (FL) News [LCCN: sn95026089] to form the Palatka (FL) News and Advertiser [LCCN: sn95047297]. The Palatka News and Advertiser, which describes itself as "Democratic", was also commonly referred to as the Palatka (FL) News [LCCN: sn95047298], which became the actual title in March 1905, then reverted back to the Palatka News and Advertiser [LCCN: sn95047299] in November 1908 and ceased publication sometime after December 3, 1920. William A. Russell remained the editor, and the paper was published by Russell & Vickers. Palatka is located along the upper St. Johns River and now (ca. 2008) serves as the county seat of Putnam County, Florida. Florida's great railroad lines, the Florida Southern Railroad; the Georgia Southern and Florida Railroad; the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West Railroad; and the St. Augustine and Palatka Railway used Palatka as a junction for routes continuing on to the west and south. Palatka was a major shipping point for citrus, timber, and other agricultural produce, as well as a stopping point for tourists to Florida. Routes connecting east joined the cities of Gainesville, in north central Florida, and Cedar Key and eventually Tampa, both on Florida's Gulf Coast, to Jacksonville, Florida's economic hub in the years following the Civil War. Routes connecting south continued to Miami and eventually to Key West. Fire devastated Palatka on November 7, 1884. Tourists arriving there by train, finding no accommodations, continued south. Palatka's citrus industries were devastated the following year with the freeze of 1895 that destroyed most of the region's orange groves. These events marked the southward slip of both tourism and transportation. And, Jacksonville's rise as an economic center with an excellent seaport and railroad junctions of its own further weakened Palatka. Crescent City, Florida, is located south of Palatka also in Putnam County near the St. Johns River and not far from the south bound railroad lines out of Palatka. Crescent City had a prosperous downtown at one time. Its star faded, however, along with that of Palatka and might have suffered as the result of Palatka's transportation strengths. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
  • Latest issue consulted: News ser., vol. 23, no. 48 (Dec. 3, 1920).
  • Wm. A. Russell, editor.
LCCN:
sn 95047299
OCLC:
33474844
Preceding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information

Palatka News and Advertiser

In 1885, Alex Wattles founded the the Palatka Weekly Advertiser, also referred to as the Palatka Advertiser, as an unaffiliated newspaper. There is evidence of a sibling title, the Palatka Daily Advertiser , in 1894. Little is known of the publishing history or patterns of either title. The Palatka Weekly Advertiser, in any case, continued until January 2, 1902, when, Wattles sold it to William A. Russell of Crescent City and M.M. Vickers. The newspaper then merged with the Crescent City News to form the Palatka News and Advertiser .

A self-described “Democratic” paper, the Palatka News and Advertiser, was also commonly referred to as the Palatka News which became its actual title in March 1905. The paper reverted back to its original title, the Palatka News and Advertiser , in November 1908. Russell continued to the edit the paper, which he published together with Vickers. The Palatka News and Advertiser ceased publication sometime after December 3, 1920.

Palatka is located on the upper St. Johns River and serves as the seat of Putnam County. Palatka was crossed by a number of railroads--the Florida Southern; the Georgia Southern and Florida; the Jacksonville, Tampa and Key West; and the St. Augustine and Palatka--and served as a junction for routes continuing to the west and south. In its heyday, Palatka was a major shipping point for citrus, timber, and other agricultural produce, as well as a stopping point for tourists to Florida. On November 7, 1884, a fire devastated Palatka. Tourists arriving by train, finding no accommodations, continued south. Ten years later, cold weather destroyed most of the region’s orange groves. Furthermore, Jacksonville’s rise as an economic center with an excellent seaport and railroad junctions of its own came at the expense of Palatka. These events marked the beginnings of the southward slip of both tourism and transportation in Florida.

Provided by: University of Florida