Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1924 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Florida star. (Titusville, Fla.) 1880-1917
Titusville, Fla. (1880-1917)
- The Florida star. : (Titusville, Fla.) 1880-1917
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Titusville, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- S.W. Harmon
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1880; ceased in 1917?
- Brevard County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Cocoa (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Florida--Brevard County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212300
- Titusville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 23 (Sept. 29, 1880).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 35, no. 5 (June 5, 1914).
- Published at: Cocoa, Fla., Nov. 1, 1912-<June 5, 1914>.
- Publisher: P.E. Wager, 1880-<1882>.
- The Florida Star [LCCN: sn96027111], a weekly, began publishing from Titusville, Florida, in 1880 and ceased sometime around 1917. From November 1, 1912, the Florida Star published from Cocoa, Florida. The newspaper continued the Indian River Star (Titusville, FL) [LCCN: not known to exist]. It is reported to have been continued by Indian River Star [LCCN: sn95047424], which began publishing from Cocoa in 1912 and ceased in 1914. In 1920, the Indian River Star ceased publication as well and was succeeded by the Cocoa (FL) News and Star [LCCN: not known to exist]. The Florida Star was published by P.E. Wagner from 1880 to approximately 1882. At some point later, it was published and edited by S.W. Harmon. Little is known about Wagner and Harmon. The newspaper covered the southern extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad into Brevard County (FL). Titusville (FL), in Brevard County (FL), was settled on the banks of the Indian River in 1867 by a former Confederate officer, Henry Theodore Titus, and his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus. The town was incorporated in 1887, by which time the area was already famous for its citrus and pineapple crops. The arrival of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1892 made tourism viable. The Florida Star is a chronicle of changes brought by tourism, the collapse of pineapple-based agriculture, and agricultural issues in general. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 96027111
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Florida Star, East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle
Situated on the banks of the Indian River, Titusville in Brevard County was settled in 1867 by a former Confederate officer, Henry Theodore Titus, and his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus. The town was incorporated in 1887, by which time it was already famous for its citrus and pineapple crops. The arrival of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1892 laid the groundwork for a tourist industry as well. The Florida Star and later the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle provide a diary of these developments.
The Florida Star was a weekly newspaper published by P.E. Wagner from 1880 to approximately 1882 and later by S.W. Harmon. On November 1, 1912, the newspaper moved from Titusville to Cocoa, Florida. The Florida Star ceased publication around 1917 and was succeeded in turn by the Indian River Star, which operated until 1920.
Another Titusville paper, the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle began on July 13, 1900, as a continuation of the Indian River Advocate and East Coast Chronicle; the latter had been preceded by both the East Coast Advocate, edited by W.S. Graham, and the Indian River Advocate. In 1920, the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle merged with the Indian River Star and was subsequently published under the title of the Star Advocate.
Provided by: University of Florida