The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > East Coast advocate and Indian River chronicle.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1836-1922 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Pages Available: 8,787,116

Title:
East Coast advocate and Indian River chronicle. : (Titusville, Fla.) 1900-1920
Alternative Titles:
  • East Coast advocate
Place of publication:
Titusville, Fla.
Geographic coverage:
  • Titusville, Brevard, Florida  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Charles H. Walton
Dates of publication:
1900-1920
Description:
  • Vol. 20, no. 20 (July 13, 1900)- ; -v. 30, no. 31 (Mar. 5, 1920).
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Brevard County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
  • Indian River City (Fla.)--Newspapers.
  • Titusville (Fla.)--Newspapers.
Notes:
  • The East Coast Advocate and Indian River (FL) Chronicle [LCCN: sn96027115] began publication July 13, 1900 from Titusville, Florida. The newspaper was a continuation of the Indian River (FL) Advocate and East Coast Chronicle [LCCN: sn96027114] also published in Titusville. Reasons for the inversion of the name are not known. The East Coast Advocate and Indian River (FL) Chronicle merged with the Indian River (FL) Star [LCCN: sn95047424] and was subsequently published as the Star Advocate [LCCN: sn96027116]. The Star Advocate was a semiweekly published by the News and Star Publishing Company, Inc., from 1920 through 1926. The Star Advocate was succeeded by the Titusville (FL) Star-Advocate [LCCN: sn96027117], published from 1926 through 1962 as a tri-weekly. The Titusville Star-Advocate reverts to the title, the Star-Advocate [LCCN: sn96027118] with the September 14, 1962 issue. The East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle was, itself the product of earlier title changes to match a convoluted history. The weekly East Coast Advocate [LCCN: sn96027112], edited by W.S. Graham, had been publishing since an unknown earlier date. In April 1891, the newspaper became known as the Indian River (FL) Advocate [LCCN: sn96027113]. The Indian River Advocate published from 1891 through at least 1896. In 1896, the Indian River Advocate and East Coast Chronicle appeared. Titusville (FL), in Brevard County (FL), was settled on the banks of the Indian River in 1867 by a former Confederate officer, Henry Theodore Titus, and his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus. The town was incorporated in 1887, by which time the area was already famous for its citrus and pineapple crops. The arrival of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1892 made tourism viable. The East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle is a diary of changes brought by tourism, the collapse of pineapple-based agriculture, and agricultural issues in general. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
LCCN:
sn 96027115
OCLC:
34175703
Preceding Titles:
Succeeding Titles:
Holdings:
View complete holdings information

Florida Star, East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle

Situated on the banks of the Indian River, Titusville in Brevard County was settled in 1867 by a former Confederate officer, Henry Theodore Titus, and his wife, Mary Hopkins Titus. The town was incorporated in 1887, by which time it was already famous for its citrus and pineapple crops. The arrival of the Florida East Coast Railroad in 1892 laid the groundwork for a tourist industry as well. The Florida Star and later the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle provide a diary of these developments.

The Florida Star was a weekly newspaper published by P.E. Wagner from 1880 to approximately 1882 and later by S.W. Harmon. On November 1, 1912, the newspaper moved from Titusville to Cocoa, Florida. The Florida Star ceased publication around 1917 and was succeeded in turn by the Indian River Star, which operated until 1920.

Another Titusville paper, the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle began on July 13, 1900, as a continuation of the Indian River Advocate and East Coast Chronicle; the latter had been preceded by both the East Coast Advocate, edited by W.S. Graham, and the Indian River Advocate. In 1920, the East Coast Advocate and Indian River Chronicle merged with the Indian River Star and was subsequently published under the title of the Star Advocate.

Provided by: University of Florida