About Pensacola evening news. (Pensacola, Fla.) 190?-19??
Pensacola, Fla. (190?-19??)
- Pensacola evening news. : (Pensacola, Fla.) 190?-19??
- Place of publication:
- Pensacola, Fla.
- Geographic coverage:
- News Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Daily (except Sunday)
- Escambia County (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Pensacola (Fla.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 52, no. 225 (Apr. 6, 1908).
- Latest issue consulted: 21st year, no. 70 (Oct. 21, 1909).
- The Pensacola (FL) Daily News [LCCN sn96027213] was continued in the mid- to-late 1900's by the Pensacola (FL) Evening News [LCCN sn96027212]. The exact year of this transition is uncertain as the Pensacola Evening News continued the numbering of the Daily News. The earliest verified edition of the Pensacola Evening News dates from April 6, 1908. The Pensacola Evening News was then continued, sometime between 1909 and 1924, by the Pensacola (FL) News [LCCN 88074707]; again, exact dates are unknown. The Pensacola News merged operations with its rival the Pensacola Journal in 1924, when John H. Perry, the Pensacola Journal's owner, bought the Pensacola News. John Perry, a native of Kentucky, arrived in Pensacola in 1922, purchasing the Pensacola Journal sometime shortly thereafter. For the next six decades, the Pensacola Journal continued to appear mornings and the Pensacola News evenings. Both newspapers remained extremely competitive for readership. A combined Sunday edition published as the Pensacola (FL) News Journal [LCCN sn00059018] also became available. A consolidated newspaper, also known as the Pensacola (FL) News Journal [LCCN sn87062269] continued operations beginning June 3, 1985. This daily continues to this day (ca. 2008). Pensacola, Florida is the seat of government for Escambia County (FL) and the westernmost city in the westernmost county of Florida. The city sits on Pensacola Bay, connecting to the Gulf of Mexico. Since the early colonial period, Pensacola had been an important naval port and economic center. By 1889, the city was already one of Florida's four largest cities. Throughout the first decade of the 20th century, Pensacola experienced tremendous growth. By 1900, Pensacola had grown to 17,747 citizens and it increased another thirty percent by 1910, to 22,982 citizens. During the decade following the Spanish American War, the United States of America secured the peace it had won over the Spanish in the Caribbean through naval patrols and maneuvers based out of Pensacola. From 1908 onward through the mid-century, Pensacola experienced urban expansion. 1908 saw the completion of a new Spanish Renaissance City Hall. 1910 witnessed the completion of the American National Bank building, at 10 stories Pensacola's first skyscraper. 1910 also marked the construction of the San Carlos Hotel and a wooden bridge across Bayou Texar. By 1912, Pensacola had 21 miles of paved streets. Pensacola's first modern hospital, Pensacola Hospital, opened in 1915. And, in 1916, the city began operating its first motorized fire truck and had replaced all of its horse-drawn firefighting equipment by 1924. --E. Kesse, University of Florida Digital Library Center.
- sn 96027212
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
Daily News and Pensacola Evening News
Pensacola is the seat of government for the westernmost city in the westernmost (Escambia) county of Florida. Since the colonial period, Pensacola has been an important naval port and economic center. By 1889, it was one of Florida’s four largest cities, with a population exceeding ten thousand. The Pensacola Daily News began publication in 1889. The editors pledged to "be Democratic, conservative but yet sufficiently aggressive to give weight to [the Daily News’] remarks." By March 1897, the Daily News had increased its circulation to 1,500. The Pensacola Journal, begun as a weekly, remained its main competitor.
Among the bigger stories the Daily News covered was the 1891 dedication of the Confederate Monument in Lee Square and the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in 1898. Pensacola’s Gulf Coast port, like others in Florida, hosted forces bound for Cuba, among them Theodore Roosevelt. In the years that followed, Pensacola continued to expand. 1908 saw the completion of a new Spanish Renaissance City Hall. Around this time, the Daily News was followed by the Pensacola Evening News. The exact year of the transition is uncertain as the Pensacola Evening News continued the numbering of its predecessor. The earliest verified edition of the Pensacola Evening News dates from April 6, 1908.
In 1910, when its population reached 23,000, Pensacola erected its first skyscraper--the ten-story American National Bank building, constructed the San Carlos Hotel, and raised a wooden bridge across Bayou Texar. By 1912, Pensacola had twenty-one miles of paved streets. The first modern hospital opened in 1915, and by 1924 the city’s fire department was entirely motorized. In that same year, the Pensacola Evening News merged its operations with the Pensacola Journal then under the leadership of John H. Perry. For the next six decades, the two papers continued to report the city’s news, the Journal in the morning and the News in the evening.
Provided by: University of Florida