About The Clio messenger. (Clio, Mich.) 1907-current
Clio, Mich. (1907-current)
- The Clio messenger. : (Clio, Mich.) 1907-current
- Place of publication:
- Clio, Mich.
- Geographic coverage:
- Ralph C. Gillett
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1907.
- Clio (Mich.)--Newspapers.
- Genesee County (Mich.)--Newspapers.
- Michigan--Genesee County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214779
- Description based on: Vol. 25, no. 33 (Aug, 18, 1932).
- Issue called: Centennial ed., July 15, 1937.
- sn 96076776
- View complete holdings information
The Clio Messenger
The Clio Messenger is a weekly newspaper published in Clio, Michigan, after 1907. It had begun in 1882 as the Clio Star. The Messenger was briefly published as a daily in 1913 and, continues in print.
Clio's evolution was similar to that of many small communities in the Michigan's Lower Peninsula. It began with a saw mill in 1837 that took advantage of the state's seemingly endless timber stands. As timber was exhausted, productive land was put into agricultural use, and the presence of the railroad after 1862 made Clio a useful, pre-existing point where local farmers could both obtain supplies and ship out cash crops. In 1864, the community became known as Clio, after a literary minded hotel owner convinced the local ladies to adopt the name of the Greek muse of history and poetry.
In the early years of the 20th century, the town's fate became linked to the emerging automobile industry. Clio became a bedroom community for many General Motors' employees who worked in either the vast "Buick City" complex located in nearby Flint or in GM's somewhat smaller but still significant Saginaw Gear Works facility, which manufactured component parts such as transmissions and power steering assemblies.
The Gilett family owned the Clio Messenger from 1927 to 1983, with Helen Gilett serving as editor and publisher from 1943 until 1979. In 1945, Helen Gilett was one of only ten female newspaper publishers in Michigan. The Gilett family sold the Messenger to the Heritage Newspapers Suburban Flint Group in 1983, which was acquired by Heritage Newspapers in 2002.