piloted the firm out of its difficul
ties in less than three years, and
announced to the court an offer
to the creditors of ioo cents on
Then came the reorganization
under the name of the Z. C.
Miles & Piper Co.
The success of the new com
pany was instantaneous, and soon
they were compelled to secure ad
ditional room. The only solution
was the erection of a new and
large modern building. With that
object in view, the company se
lected a location which would fit
the business, an eight-story block
at First Avenue and Spring
Street. Here the company now
has its main store.
The business at the Northwest
Fixture Annex was purchased
August 27th last, and the com
bined floor space of the two stores
is about 60,000 square feet.
Mr. Kasson, who was president
of the Northwest Fixture Com
pany, joins the consolidated com
panies, and this story would not
be complete without a few words
of his. He is a native of New
York State, coming to Seattle in
1888. In 1890 he engaged in the
electric business under the firm
name of Kasson & Bishop. In
1894 he organized the Northwest
Fixture Comapny, which grew
under his excellent management
until it became the largest house
in its line in the Pacific North
west. He built the business up
to its present magnitude at the
old store on First Avenue, be
tween Madison and Spring
Streets, nearly opposite the pres
Z. C. Miles & Piper Co.'s Main Store, First Avenue and Spring St., Seattle.
ent location of the main store of
the Z. C. Miles & Piper Co.
Labor troubles of the early
spring tied up an immense quan
tity of business, making a delay
of several months before con
tracts could be completed, and
temporarily embarrassing the
company, causing the appoint
ment of a friendly receivership.
The difficulty has now all been
adjusted by the consolidation of
the Northwest Fixture Company
and the Z. C. Miles & Piper Co.
This consolidation gives Seat
tle the largest jobbing house in
stoves and ranges, electrical sup
plies and fixtures on the Pacific
Coast, and with such active and
aggressive men in control will be
a credit to the city.
In the Main Store at First and
Spring Streets, are the Mantel
and Fixture, Hardware, Heating
and Furnace, and Manufacturing
departments, and in the Annex, at
313 First Avenue South, Electri-
cal Supplies, Mantels and Fix
tures are found.
A feature of special interest to
the visitor to the Main Store is
the splendid line of Ohio Steel
Ranges, which are held constant
ly in stock. After long years of
experimenting and handling nteel
ranges, this enterprising firm have
settled on the "Ohio" as being
more perfect than any range to be
The various departments of the
big firm are under the care of
the following gentlemen:
Assistant manager of Main
Store, Mr. F. W. Hicks; Mantel
and Fixture, Mr. A. J. Stretch;
Advertising, Mr. J. A. Hendricks;
Hotel and Steamboat Supply, Mr.
John W. Holiday; Secretary and
Treasurer, Mr. T. S. Semple;
Manager of N. W. Fixture An
nex, Mr. H. E. Gleason; Store
and Hardware Dept. of Main
Store, Mr. F. A. Lane; Manufac
turing Dept., Mr. John Schwab;
Mantel and Fixture Dept. of Main
Store, Mr. T. C. Thomas; East
ern Washington Representative,
Mr. F. L. Greene; Vice President
of Z. C. Miles & Piper Co., Mr.
C. H. Keihl.
xml | txt