Newspaper Page Text
DAILY CAPITAL JOURNAL, SALEM, OREGON", WEDNESDAY, JfNB 15, 1010.
PIONEER REUNION JUNE 22-24
PROGRESSIVE SUBURBAN CITY
OF HOMES : : : : :
C. E. Stannard & Son
11: 'VW- ft, f
; Visit the Big Store when
E. E. WHITE
W. M. KNAPP
White & Knapp
Builders' Hardware, Universal Stoves and Ranges, Sher
win Williams' Paints, Furniture, Wall Paper, Carpets,
Studebaker Buggies and Wagons, Oliver Chilled and
Steel Plows, Tin and Plumbing Shop, Automobiles,
Toilet Articles and Drugs
Farmers' and Merchants'
Your Busines Solicited
RAILROADS EXTENDING UP CALIPOOIA
BROWNSVILLE TO BE ON S. P. MAIN
LINE TO KLAMATH FALLS-PIONEERS'
Brownsville now has two trains a
day to Albany, and Is on the survey
for the electric line from Albany to
Lebanon,"' Sweet Home and Craw
fordsvllle. When tho Klamath Falls
cut off is built this lino from Albany
to Brownsville and Springfield will
bo the short lino to Portland.
Brownsville has made a hard fight
tor get railroad service. For many
years tho town had only a mixed
freight train once a day each way
and It took all day and part of tho
night to make tho trip into the town
by rail. That built up a large livery
business at each end of the road be
tween Halsey and Brownsville. Mr.
Elmore, who is banker, preacher,
booster, and Mayor when they can't
get anyone else to tako tho Job and
when ho works at that Job tho laws
aro enforced has had many a tlre
somo trip out of Brownsville, to get
in touch with tho railroad people and
get better train service until today
the city has two trains a day and
can get a special train for almost
any occasion. So much for the bull
dog sticktoitiveness of ono man who
fights for his town. Brownsville
has a number of men who stay with
a proposition and are not afraid to
put their hands in their pockets and
back it up. They aro making this
a fine town. Two years more of the
progressive fight will see great
changes and the present Is a good
time to Invest in property hero. Bet
ter conditions are ahead and there
will be few empty houses in this
city a year hence If the present
writer is any Judge. The moral
atmosphere, tho rich soli, the
progressive elements of the people
a great deal of now blood coming
in and 'stirring up the sluggish
hibernating portion of the community
to action with a fine climate and
beautiful location for a city all
forecast a future for Brownsville.
The Linn County Pioneers' Asso
ciation is one of the oldest organiza
tions of tho founders of Oregon In
the state. . Tho President Is W. T.
Cochran and J. H. Glass is Secretary,
and A. M. Templeton is Publicity
manager. The reunion this year
extends over three days and some of
tho most prominent men In Oregon
aro on the speaking program.
Brownsville is well equipped with
church buildings, and home seekers
can locate there knowing that nearly
all the leading denominations aro
represented. " The Baptist Methodist
Christian and Presbyterian have fine
houses of worship and aro 'well
supplied with pastors, who are well
supported. With tho addition of a
fine new high school at a cost of
$16,000 Just completed, and two
other large school houses, and aboi't
500 students enrolled and a full
twelve grade high school couhd,
Brownsville has all tho modern facili
ties forgiving j our children a pub
lic school education.
Brownsville has a Commercial
club, with Homer B. Hllleary presi
dent, Wayne Stannard secretary, F,
M, Brown, Wm. Knapp, Jos. Hume,
Dr. Finley and W. C. Cooloy trus
tees. The "club has done a .'rcat
deal to secure better transportation
facilities and publicity for Brownsville.
Good farms that ten years ago
could be bought for from $20 to $25
per acre, now sell at $60 to $80 po.'
acre. This city has an unique loca
tion at the entrance ot ono of th,o
finest timber elts on the west slope building material
of tho Cascades and this timber is
bound to come out to market here.
It cannot go out elsewhere.
Juro 2, 1910, it had $208,000 de
posits and assets of $225,000. The
capital stock is $30,000. Tho officers
aro W. P. Elmore president, H. B
Moyer vice-president, W. B. Glass
cashier. It is considered one of the
strongest littlo banks in tho st.'te,
Tho Brownsvlllo Woolen Mills are
a pioneer manufacturing Institution
of this state. It was here where
Tom Kay senior first made his start.
Tho mills run day and night and em
ploy 45 to 50 persons, selling thelj
products at Portland, San Francisco
and New York In competition with
tho best. The work Is confined to
blankets, flannels and mackinaws
Tho owners of the mills aro Jos.
Cordlngly, Jas. Benton and S. Rals
trick. They are turning down orders
and cannot supply tho demand for
their product at present. These
mills have taken several prizes at
Th.o Brownsvlllo Flouring mills
aro run by M P. Crumo & Son, with
a capacity of fifty barrels per day.
Tho entire product is sold locally
and to tho lumber camps In tho
Crumo and Rector also havo the
electric light plant, and ' havo Just
put In a 70-kilowat dynamo, to bo
run by water or steam.
It. W. Tripp, manager of the
Brownsvlllo Real Estate company,
which makes a specialty of handling
farms and has sold more than 200
Linn county farms, came from Iowa
flvo years ago. Ho has located an
Iowa colony here In that tlmo and Is
an up-to-date wldo-awake real estate
man. Mr. Tripp has largo lists of
property and treats people right.
Stannard & Son havo built up a
largo department storo business. The
business has been conducted success
fully for twenty-one years and car
ries dry goods, clothing and grocer
ies. The' firm was , formerly Stan
nard & Cable. Mr. Cable went to
Portland to invest his money In
real estate and Mr. Stannard took
his son into tho business.
Homer E. Hllleary, who was for
13 years a Southern Pacific locomo
tive engineer, is now proprietor of
a large general hardwaro store. Ho
was raised at Turner, wont to school
at Willamette University, and is a
son of Wm. M. Hllleary. Homer is
a prominent booster for a greater
Tho firm of White & Knapp, hard
waro and furniture, was .organized
January 1, 1907. Mr. Knapp was
with Buren & Hamilton at Salem for
three years. Mr. White came from
Kansas In 190C and has a largo busi
ness experience. Tho firm has a
largo business experience. The firm
has a largo stock and reach out for
business In a way that helps build
up the town. . They consider that
Brownsvlllo has an ideal location for
a prosperous homo city and thoy
help it along.
- Tho Brownsvlllo Warohouso Co. is
owned by Chas.- and David Sterling.
Thoy are Saloin men and own and
oporate warehouses at this placo,
Tangent and Tallman besides a largo
flour and feed business.
Tho Corvallls Branch Creamery
does a business hore of about $2000
a month. Geo. II. Wobb is manager
nnd R. F. Richardson is assistant.
They expect to put in a churn soon
and make butter hero.
J. D. Tower conducts tho Browns
vlllo creamery and makes a flno
grade of butter, about 400 pounds a
On tho south side of tho Callpoola
is a littlo city by itself South
Brownsvlllo, with school, churches
nnd stores. Hero 13 a meat market
kopt by Garrett Bros., a feed store
by Humo & Kirk, and a $15,000
stock of general' merchandiser ;by
Cooley & Co., a' firm that has been In
business for fifty years. There has
been a now garago organized. Fred
Olson has a blacksmith and wagon
shop hero slnco many years. He
does a general repair business.
A. L. Osborn, the pharmacist, came
here eight years ago frdm Portland.
Ho has a flno homo and good
G. W. Coin has a bakery and
Mrs. Clay camo hero from Grants
Pass a year ago and established a
Henderson & Crawford havo a
barber shop and baths.
H. B. Moyer has a garago and
motorcar repair shop. Ho is a na
tive son and a progressive man.'
B6yles & Son camo hore from Ore
gon City last February and estab
lished n confectionery and . cigar
F. E. Bodonhamer has the city
bakery. Ho camo here In March.
J. E. Sawyer has the city express
Ho was in business at Salem for six
J. D. Irvine is mayor of Browns
ville and has the backing of a llvo
and progressive city council.
A. M. Brown has a notion and
second hand storo.
Miner Jackson has for thirty years
conducted a barber shop hero and
Is tho only colored man In Browns
vlllo In that business.
Mrs. C. B. Tycer has for six years
conducted a millinery busines?.
G. B. Pugh has run the Hvory
and feed stable for seven year3
Large bands of eastern Oregon horses
aro brought here and sold. Mr.
Pugh has good rigs and teams.
E. D. Starr has beon portmasler
for thirteen years. Postofflce re
ceipts have doubled In five years, and
the business has Increased moro In
that time than for twenty years
Miller & Burke bought th.j old
Moore bla'.Yjmlth bbop a id havo run
It successfully two "ears. They also
repair wagons and vehicles.
Will A. Leonnrd conducts a good
commercial ota Ho has beon hero
two 'lypars and was formerly at
Grants Pass. '
J. F. Venner has been for thirty
years a registered phnrmaclst. He
says ho has seen real estate advanco
horo sixty per cent In flvo years.
Everything has gone up but tho prlco
Holcomb & Walker havo a gen-
oral grocery and provision business.
G. C. Thompson & Son havo . been
fifteen years in tho general mer
chandise business. They bought, out
J. Ward FInloy has a fine dental.
practice hero since two years.
R. A. Moore has a lODacco ana
F. H. Weber has conducted a
harness business hero for 15 years.
W. J. Mooro and D. J. Cushman
havo a general real estate business.
.Mr. Moore was for 19 years black-
S. P. Barger has boon a ploneor
up tho rlvor and owns a flno bolt of
timber. Jas. Cpsbow Is tho local
real estato dealer slnco 1862. Ho
Tho Callnoola Lumber Co. main-H likes Brownsville dirt so well ho pro-
tains a lumber yard and a stock of .posos to stay horo and occupy a little
J. E. Counock Is space In tho boautlful corneiory on
manager and the company has mills: tho banks of tho Callpoola, He says
this Is good onougn ror mm.
Tho business stroots of Browns
vlllo are being nicely graded.
. Wm. MoLoud conducts tho Browns
Goo. W.. Fisher Is woll kmwn as
To show specific cases where rnen
have made money on Investments on Tho Brownsville Canning and Pro
land about Brownsvlllo would bo sorvlne Co. has a fine nlant hero and
easy. T. M. Gelger bought a ranch unddr the management of Ed. Hallo- tho Brownsville glove manufacturer,,
for $3500 and in three years sold well has mado a reputation for put-l H. B. Moyer Js proprietor o.f the
It for $8000. Ho bought another ting up a fine grade of canned Brownsville planing mills and wator
for $4000 and in two years sold It' goods. Mr. Hallowell Is a booster works.
for $9000. Of course Mr. Gelger Is a! for this soctlon as a fruit growing! The Jaw office of B. 8, Martin
German and when he buys a placo ho region. Jjas oen doing business for .16 years.
goes to work on it, fixes it up and
Amor A. TuBslng
Capt. J P. Shannon of Oregon City, , lav hero for years.
Tho Hollowav orchard of 100 acres who camo across the nlalns via tho' B. W. Loucks Is proprietor of tho
was Just sold off at $300 per are 'ox team oxpross In 1847, was In Brick & Tile Works.
Mr. Holloway has several more Brownsvlllo when we were there to I Dr. E. Rlnghofor has practiced
Jorge orchards. . Invest some money Jn a ranch, dontlBtry horo for two years.
E. E. Boyd, agent of tho S. P. Co., Captain Shannon is a vory lnterost- Dr. Kelly has had a medical prao
reports shipments by express In- Ing character nnd wont to the gold Uco horo eight years. ,
creasing from Brownsville. They mines In 1849. I "owe Bros, havo a Jargo grocery
are butter, eggs," oream. poultry, and hardware trad.8. They havo In-
pork, veal and fresh fruit. Freight O. A. Brown handles vehicle and creased their stock and built a two
shipments aro canned goods, woolen agricultural implements. He has utory brlok 30x00.
mill prpducts, live stock', and lum- been seven years In the county, and Hoeneke & Fetze have a meat
ber. Freight haa." Increased about two year In this buaRf. He han- market buslneee, having bougjit out
one-third, and paswmger casino dies the Ban, MlUrtjeir. Ruahford Trumm lire. In October. 1000.
about the same the past five year and Blnlsell wagons. Mr. Browir is1 T. L. Howard conducts a neat
On June 5, 1905, the Bank of a rustler and Is building up a fine barberhop.
Brownsville had $87,000 deposits business. (Continued on page seven.)
City Property and'
Timber Lands, Farm, Fruit
and Grazing Land
INDEPENDENT AND BELL PHONES
R. W; TRIPP, Manager
Chas. Sterling David Sterling
Warehouses at Brownsville, Tangent and Tallman
STERLING BROS., Proprietors
Dealers in Flour, Mill Feed, Oil Meal, Wheat, Oats and 1
Hay, All kinds of Grain Received on Storage, Grain
Bought and Sold and Shipped In Carload lots, Flour,
Feed and Seed Store, 'Corner Spaulding Avenue and Av
erill Street, Reo and Stoddard-Dayto.n Automobiles,
H LLEARY S
General Hardware, Implements;
HOMER E. HILLEARY, Proprietor
WM. A. LEONARD, Proprietor and Mgr.