About The Morgan County press. (Wartburg, Tenn.) 1916-1926
Wartburg, Tenn. (1916-1926)
- The Morgan County press. : (Wartburg, Tenn.) 1916-1926
- Place of publication:
- Wartburg, Tenn.
- Geographic coverage:
- Press Pub. Co.
- Dates of publication:
- Began in 1916; ceased in 1926.
- Morgan County (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Tennessee--Morgan County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01228424
- Wartburg (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Aug. 3, 1916).
- sn 99065839
- Succeeding Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Morgan County Press
In July 1916, the Press Publishing Company launched the Morgan County Press in Wartburg, the seat of Morgan County, Tennessee. Jas Chaterson served as editor and manager. The Republican weekly was available for an annual subscription rate of one dollar; it appeared each Thursday evening (later, on Fridays) and featured local news ranging from politics and agriculture to baseball. The paper also published news from communities around the county such as Burrville, Deer Lodge, Lancing, and Rugby.
Under the motto, "A Paper for the People," the Press included other staples found in local newspapers from announcements about club and church events to birth and death notices, alongside regional, national, and even international news from the Western Newspaper Union News Service. Wire services such as this one were crucial in providing readers with pertinent information during the First World War, and Chaterson took full advantage of this resource. Throughout 1918, a column called "Weeks War News Condensed" [sic] regularly appeared on the front page; it included public service announcements, campaigns for Liberty Bonds, and letters from Morgan County soldiers posted in Europe. On March 7, 1919, responding to the newspaper’s call for suggestions for honoring "our heroic dead," a Rugby resident, citing Joyce Kilmer's poem, Trees, suggested that planted trees would be a fitting memorial.
The Morgan County Press advertised local events and services as well as both local as well as national products. Chaterson reminded his paper's advertisers that in order to "get the greatest possible good from publicity, your printing must be attractive, and well composed."
H.W. Summer published the Press throughout the latter half of 1918, but by the spring of 1919, A.B. Peters had taken over that role. The Press was reduced from eight pages to four in March 1922, and Peters stepped into the role of editor/owner, with Dan C. Bonifacius as publisher. The Morgan County Press ceased publication a few years later in 1926. The Morgan County News purchased the Press's holdings, and is still published in print and online in the 21st century.
Provided by: University of Tennessee