Newspaper Page Text
Transylvania University. State University.
Breckinridge, youngest president, are in shadows of the court~house. Lieutenant Hugh McKee, killed while leading a charge Into a Corean fort June 11, 1871, and son of Colonel W. (jR. McKee, slain In the battle of Buena Vista, February 22, 1847, Is among he roes who sleep in the Lexington Ceme tery. Lexington was made the State capi tal July 4,1792, and lost it to Frankfort the year following. In the northeast quarter of Gratz Park is a well dug in June, 1794, by John R. Shaw, to supply water to Transylvania Seminary, erected on this campus the year previous. The Lexington Library, first In the IWest, established in *795, was moved from Transylvania Seminary to the site of the new Leader Building, northeast corner of Market and Short Btreets, then Andrew McCalla's drug store, In |l800. Books printed here by John Brad ford in 1794, his plant then being on *in alley Just west of the Carty Bulld ng, are on shelves of the Lexington ^ibrary. Dr. Benjamin Wilson Dudley, world ?mous surgeon, who came to Lexington boy in 1797, lived and died In the ?U8e at the northeast corner of Mar F^t and Second streets. This also was e home of Major Thomas Bodley. . The Colonel Thomas Hart Home, In hlch Henry Clay married Lucretla art In 1799, Is at the southwest corner f Second and Mill streets. In the same ou8e General Morgan wag married to liss Bruce, thereafter making It his lome, and John Bradford died there. rQoorge Nicholas, professor of law In ?nsylvanla University In 1799, cel?* brated before as lawyer and statesman in Virginia, and af terward Kentucky's first attor ney-general, lived In a house occupying the site of Sayre College. The gravestone of John Pos tlewaite, host of Burr, La Fay ette, Grant, Lincoln, Arthur, Sant?i Anna and many other famous men, remains in the abandoned Episcopal Cemetery on East Third street. The Phoenix Hotel is by suc cession the oldest hostelry in the whole western country, covering ground on which stood Postlethwalte's Tavern, built in 1800. Ashland was bought in 1805 by Henry Clay, who had come to Lexington in November, 1797. There he entertained Daniel Webster, Earl of Derby, General Bertrand, Harriett Martineau, Van Buren and nu merous other notable people. Kentucky University bought Ashland in 1866, and twenty years later it was purchased by Major Henry Clay McDowell, whose widow, Mr. Clay's granddaughter, occupies it. The Fayette Bank Building occupies the site of the Brent Tavern facing the court house in which the New Empire plot ters held conferences in 1806. Harman Blannerhassett, cul tured Irishman who was ar rested here in the summer of 1867 on the charge of complic ity in the Burr conspiracy, had his examining trial in the brick court house built the year previous. The house at 574 West Main street was the home of Mary Todd when she was married to Abraham Lincoln November 4, 1842, at Springfield, 111. She was born in a house next west of St. Paul's church, on ground now occupied by the parson age, which was the Robert S. Todd home In 1820. The ancient home of Farm er Dewees, banker, still stands at 323 East Short street and Is one of the best examples surviving of splen dor in early home building. While a student at Tran sylvania University (1824) Jefferson Davis lived at the southwest corner of Lime stone and High streets, the home at that time of Joseph Ficklin, sixth postmaster. Masonic Hall, now 409-411 West Main street, was the Bcene of the grand ball com plimentary to General La Fayette when he visited this ?:lty May 16, 1825. The whipping post, at which minor offenses were atoned for, was in the court house yard a few feet east of the Cheapside-Main corner. August Belmont's Nursery P'arm, on the Georgetown road, many years ago was the estate of George Wash ington Sutton, first Jersey cattle importer and pioneer in applying .the European tank method of retting hemp. In 1826-27 meetings of the Kentucky Association, oldest living turf club In America, were held at the Williams' track on what is now the tomb*Bplked northern pla teau of the Lexington Ceme tery. Prior to that time, be ginning with 1802, meetings ot the Lex ington Jockey Club had been neld at Ashland. The track now in service was bought in 1826. The road to Maysville, begun here in the fall of 1829, was the pioneer maca dam highway in Kentucky. The first locomotive built In the United States, the product of Thomas Harris Barlow, was operated over the line from Lexington to Frankfort, nOw the L. & N., opened in 1835 as America's second railroad. It was chartered as the "Lex ington & Ohio," January 27, 1830, and the corner stone was laid October 24, 1831. The first through train to Louis ville was run In 1851. The Lexington Orphan Asylum was ea tablished in 1833 to care for children be reft of parents by the epidemic of cholera which carried off five hundred citizens that year. For many years It stood on the site of the present gateway to Hamp ton Court. Establishment of the first city school (1834), southeast corner of Walnut and Short streets, also was a con sequence of the plague. Oliver Frazer, artist, was born in 1808 at the Frazer homestead on the north side of the Georgetown road, just beyond Peach Orchard. David A. Sayre, founder of Sayre Col lege and a wealthy banker at the time of his death, in 1870; walked barefoot from Maysville to Lexington in 1811 and became a silver plater's apprentice In the shop called "Old Gunboat" (because 9x 40 feet) on the south side of Main street, just east of Broadway. The campus of State University Is part of the estate of John Maxwell, com panion of Boone and city builder. His was the first marriage to be celebrated in the fort. Some Buildings. The pictures here shown give some idea of the attractiveness of the city from an architectural and business stand point. It is a city of fine churches, many of which wil be used to accommodate the various conferences connected with the convention. The residences are home like and handsome. Those who are in terested in tobacco will have the oppor tunity of seeing the saleB conducted In the large loose leaf warehouses, where some of the finest tobacco in the world is sold. Those who are fond of golf and other sports will be tempted to spend an afternoon or more at the beautiful Coun try Club. The Committees. We give here the pictures of some of the chairmen of committees, which will look after the welfare and comfort of the members of the convention. We are au thorized to say that all the members of all the committees are anxious to do all that they possibly can for the welfare of all the visitors. And we feel sure that the same thing can be said of all the citizens of Lexington. These committees have an enormous task on their hands. We wish to bespeak for them the most thoughtful considera tion on the part of the visitors. It is Qi< easy matter to receive, welcome and as sign to their homes three or four thou sand visitors, all arriving probably in five or six hours. If things seem to be somewhat crowded and delayed, Just be patient. The committees will take charge of you and care for you Just as soon as poslble. Help them all you can by your consideration. J. B. Hoggin's Mtota,. ^^Tobj??^h?M?8. Oovcnn.cn, BuUdin, and