Newspaper Page Text
MEETINGS OP PRESBYTERIES.
Synod of Alabama. Central Alabama ? Bessemer Ala April. 1917. " .0E19t17A7:b30maprSr?:'- A'a" APr" Mobile ? Stockton, April 10 1917 7:30 P. M. North Alabama ? Anniston, Ala , First church, April 10, 1917. Tuscaloosa, Ala. ? Greensboro, Ala April 10. 1917, 7:30 P. M. Synod of Appal aciiia. 19^7 8ep?VWelCh' W" Va" May l' Asheville ? Swannanoa, N. C Mav 1. 1917, 8 P. M. y 19"?l7t03VpFlrMt' Brlstow' A?ril '?? .9f???-30eRrMeV"le' Ky- Apr!l Synod of Arkansas. 19^7^8Dpa3 ? Lonoke, Ark., April 17, 19?fC7l$rfUJ?0n' Ark" AprH 10> i9P^B^rreo.Ar,.Aprl|1, Washburn? Favettevllle, Ark.. April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. ' P Synod of Florida. Florida ? Tallahassee, Fla., April 17, 1917, 7:30 P. M. St. Johns ? Wauchula, Fla., April 17, 1917, 7:30 P. M. 1917,W7:n3TTMMCaaOPy' Fla" AprU 10' Synod of Georgia. Athens ? Gainesville, Ga., April 10 1917, 8 P. M. ' 1 9 l^^Vp 6Mhany ChurCh' Apr11 10 Ga- Apr" 10' io?\ViT?r?T"F'a' ?a' Apr" Macon? Sylvester, Ga., April 17 1917, 7:30 P. M. ' Savannah ? St. Mary's, Ga.. April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Synod of Kentucky. Ebenezer ? Madison Avenue, Cov ington. Ky., April 3, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Louisville ? Louisville, Ky Third church, April 17, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Muhlenburg ? Owensboro Kv April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M Paducah ? Marion Church Kv April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. ' Transylvania ? Springfield. Kv April 24, 1917, 7:30 P M 1917?St7:L30XpgtMn"~MldWay' ApN1 10' Synod of Louisiana. Louisiana ? Baton Rouge, La . April 3, 1917, 7:30 P. M. New Orleans ? Madisonville, April 17, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Red River ? Belcher, La., April 17 1917, 7:30 P. M. P ' Central Louisiana ? (Colored) J*? od Hope, Frierson, La., April 5 7 P. M. Synod of Mississippi. * ^Le,n?ral Mls8lssippl ? Durant, Miss. April 3, 1917, 7:30 P. M. East Mississippi? West Point. Miss April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. i I?Qh,e-71~^ilfrI? Grove- *Ii39-' March i, i j1 /, 11 A. M. , Meridian? First, Laurel, Miss, April 17, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Mississippi ? Hazelhurst, Miss April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. * N/?rt,h,v, Mississippi ? Sard Is, Miss., April, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Synod of Missouri. 10Laif9aiTt8~pHIMIn8Vllle' M?" Apf11 j Mo- Aprn io' 19iaIm5Ta ^eBelle, Mo., April 10, 19f70,t088p~MerryV,lle' M?" Apr" 10' 1917, 8LpUM~Tr?y' M?" APr" 17' Upper Missouri ? Northeast. Kan sas City, Mo., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Synod of North Carolina. 17 i9ei7.ar8 P~MnSt0n' N" C" Apr" ?.iFODoC?Xd"TSecond church. Moores vllle, S. C., April 10, 1917 ,7:30 P M Fayetteville? Red Springs, N.' C ' April 17, 1917, 8 P. M M?"nta,n ? Westminster 8chool. April 10, 1917, 8 P. M Mecklenburg ? Mint Hill, N C Phiia. church. April 3, 1917, 11 a M* c.. rPXl^?iTm.n8 p?rMn"b<,ro' n: ..TiSTrr?' n; c- A"r" Synod of Oklahoma. Durant? Sulphur Springs, Okla Central church, April 18, 1917, 8 P. M. Indian ? Beechtree church, Okla April 10. 1917. 7:30 P. M. Mangurn ? Minco, April 10, 1917, 8 ? ? M , Synod of South Carolina. Bethel ? Great Falls Church, April 17, 1917. 8 P. M. Charleston ? Waterboro, S. C., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Congaree ? Wlnnsboro, S. C., April 9, 1917, 8 P. M. Enoree ? Woodruff, S. C., April 6, 1917, 8 P. M. Harmony ? Union Church, S. C., April 3, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Pee Dee ? Clio, S. C., April 10, 1917, 8 P. M. Piedmont ? Walhalla Church, S. C., April 10, 1917, 8 P. M. South Carolina ? Smyrna, S. C., April 10, 1917, 2 P. M. Synod of Tennewseo. Columbia ? Zion Church, Maury county, Tenn., April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Memphis ? Humboldt, Tenn., April 17. 1917, 8 P. M. Nashville ? Spring Creek church, Watertown, Tenn., April 17, 1917. Synod of Texas. Brazos ? El Campo, Tex., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Brownwood ? Paint Rock, Tex., April 3, 1917, 8 P. M. Central Texas ? Turnersville, Tex., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Dallas ? Ennis, Tex., April 10, 1917, 8 P. M. Eastern Texas ? Nacogdoches, Tex., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. El Paso ? Big Spring, Tex., April 10. 1917. Fort Worth ? Grandview, Tex., April 18, 1917, 8 P. M. V Paris ? Greenville, Texas. April 24, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Texas Mexican ? Mexican church, San Antonio, Tex., April 18, 1917, 8 P. M. Western Texas ? San Marcos, Tex., April 10, 1917, 7:30 P. M. Synod of Virginia. East Hanover ? Amelia, Va., April 23, 1917, 8 P. M. Lexington ? Buena Vista, Va., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Montgomery ? Christlansburg, Va., May 1, 1917, 8 P. M. Norfolk ? Park Avenue. Norfolk, Va . April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Potomac ? Washington, D. C., April 17, 1917, 8 P. M. Roanoke ? RuBtburg, Va., April 10, 1917, 8 P. M. West Hanover ? Arvon church, April 24. 1917, 8 P. M. Winchester ? Moorefleld, W. Va., April 24. 1917, 8 P. M. Synod of West Virginia. Greenbrier ? White Sulphur church, April 10, 1917, 8 P. M. Kanawfta ? Charleston, W. Va., First church, April 17, 1917. Tygart's Valley ? Ceitral, Clarks burg, W. Va.. April 24. 1917, 8 P. M. THE FIRST PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF WILMING TON, N. C. This Old Church Is Celebrating Its Centennial This Week. In April, 1817, a petition came to Fayetteville Presbytery from "a large number of respectable citizens of Wil mington" asking for the organization of a church at that place. The request was granted and the church was or ganized. In May, 1818, the corner stone of the first church building was laid, the church being situated on Front Street Just north of Orange Street. The Rev. Artemus Boies was the first pastor, having been installed May 12, 1819. The church building was destroyed by fire on November 3 of the same year. In 1820 Mr. Boles moved to Charleston, S. C. In 1821 the second church building was com pleted. The early years from 1817 to 1831 were years of constant strug gle. The membership was small, the spirituality, save for a few noble pray ing women, at a low ebb, and the church vacant much of the time. Rev. L. E. Lathrop was ordained and installed pastor in January, 1823, but resigned on account of ill health in October, 1824. Rev. Noel Robert son was ordained and installed In April, 1827. He resigned In April, 1828, dying a few months later. In 1830 the church was visited by a man who was destined to exercise a potent Influence for more than forty-four years in the life of the church. Rev. William 8. Plutner, a young Home missionary, came and preached for the discouraged and scattered congrega tion. There were six additions to the church through his visit, and the revived and encouraged church se cured the services of the Rev. Thomas P. Hunt as stated supply. In March, 1831, the first session was installed. In 1832 Mf. Hunt was installed as pastor. Through his faithful efforts the church was organized more thor oughly and built up in liberality. The first ladies' society was organ ized at this time. In 1834 Mr. Hunt resigned and was succeeded by Rev. James A. McNeill, who served as stated supply for two years. In 1837 the church was served for a time by Rev. Robert Southgate, and in 1838 by Rev. Henry Brown. In 1838 Rev. W. W. Eels came as pastor and re mained until 1841. The church was then supplied by Rev. Thomas R. Owen, who was called to the pastor ate, but never installed. He left the work in 1843. The struggling church thus had at least ten pastors or sup plies in twenty-six years. It is no wonder that its growth was slow. The first charge of any length was the Rev. J. O. Stedman, who came in January, 1845, and remained until 1851 as supply. "This pastorate laid the foundations deep and builded well"; classes for catechetical instruc tion and studies in the Confession of Faith were instituted and maintained; a Sabbath-school for colored persons was organized; a monthly concert of prayer for missions was regularly ob served; a juvenile missionary society was formed, also a domestic mission ary society; and the contributions of the church were largely increased. The interior of the church was re modeled, and the great evangelist, Rev. Daniel Baker, held a meeting, with blessed results. The member ship at the beginning of his pastorate was very small. There were fifty ad ditions on profession and thirty-five by letter. At the close of his pastor ate of six and a half years the church had eighty-four members, and the gifts to the benevolent causes amount ed to $2,450 during the pastorate. The next pastorate was that of Rev. M. B. Grier, afterwards for many years the distinguished editor of the Bhiladelphia Presbyterian. He came in July, 1852, and remained until June, 1861. His work was richly blessed. On the material side he was instrumental in the purchase of a manse, the Installation of a hand some new pipe organ, and, when the old church was destroyed by fire In 1859, the erection of the present church building on the site at the cor ner of Third and Orange Streets. Dur ing his pastorate the gracious revival of 1858 that swept over our whole country reached and blessed Wil mington. Within three months sixty two persons united with the church. Many of them were leading men in the city. Dr. James H. Dickson and Messrs. John N. Andrews, Barzillai G. Worth, George Chadbourn and James C. Smith were added to the session. A church was built on Chest nut Street, and here, shortly after, a colony, led by Messrs. John C. Latta and Alexander Sprunt, was organized as the Second Presbyterian church. From this small beginning has come the great Saint Andrew's church that has done such a fruitful and glorious work in the northern part of our city. A young men's prayer meeting was organized, that later began a mission work that, after some interruptions, developed Into Immanual church, in the southern part of the city. A Board of Deacons was elected and to it committed the financial affairs of the church, that had before -this been In the hands of the trustees of the church. Dr. Grier did a noble work William S. Plumer, a young home gation. During his ministry 148 were added to the church and $3,296 given to benevolence. The church was vacant during the entire period of the Civil War, Mr. Grier having returned to the North. The pastor of the Second church, Rev. Martin McQueen, supplied in 1863 and a part of 1864. In the fall of 1864 and early in 1865 the Rev. A. D. Hepburn preached. The close of tlio war found the church in debt, the people very poor, and the outlook dark. Rev. Horace L. Singleton, of Balti more, was called as pastor in Novem ber, 1S65. He very faithfully served until October, 1871, when he removed to Brooklyn. When he came the mem bership was about 100. During the six years of his pastorate there were 127 additions. When he left the mem bership was 172. During this pastor ate much was accomplished; the Sun day-school was built up and flourish ed; the debt of $10,000 on the church was paid, in part by the sale of the manse. The Chestnut Street church (col ored) was organized in 1867 with thirty-four members, most of whom went by letter from this church. Rev. W. H. Groves, one of the young men of the church, was aided in his edu cation and sent into the gospel min istry. The present pipe organ was installed. Messrs. Samuel Northrop, A. A. Willard, John McLaurin, James D. Cumming and C. H. Robinson were added to the session. In the face of great difficulties Mr. Singleton wrought well and should be kept in the minds and hearts of the church as a faithful minister of Jesus Christ. His successor was Rev. A. F. Dixon, a man, we are. told, of deep piety and humble Christian deportment. Dis sensions were rending the church, and, after little more than a year of service, he resigned, the congrega tional meeting bearing unanimous tes timony "to his ardent, humble piety and to his entirely faultless Christian character and deportment." In 1830, when the church was at Its lowest ebb, it had been blessed and revived by a visit from the young domestic missionary, Rev. William S. Plumer. Now, forty-three years later, when torn by dissensions, it was bless ed by the coming of the venerable servant of God, Dr. William S. Plu mer, who came over weekly from Co lumbia Seminary and supplied the church for more than six months. Un der his gracious ministrations the dis sensions were healed, and in March, 1874, the congregation extended a unanimous call to Rev. Joseph R. Wil son, D. D., of Columbia Seminary. Dr. Wilson is remembered in the Southern Presbyterian Church as its great stated clerk. A gifted teacher of theology, he was also a great de bater and prince of preachers. He will probably be known to history as the father of President Woodrow Wil son, but in the Southern Presbyterian church not the least of President Wil son's claims to honor comes from the fact that he is the son of Dr. Joseph R. Wilson. For eleven years the President himself, during his boyhood IMPROVE YOUR PRNMANSHIPfANDf ^INCREASE YOUR EARNING POWER PENMAN PUNK I.carn to write ? busine** hand (luring (pare tiro'" in your own home by lining Funk's Practical Penmanahlp Drill*. ThVy contain more than 4,000 square im^iea of engravinga and instruction how to tine them. Prepaid anywhere in the U. 8. on receipt of $1.00 Now ia your opportunity to learn to write a good band. Remit at once only $1.00 for a aet of these fam ous copyright drills used in our Scientific Natural Method course. Address. COLUMBIA BUSINESS COLLEGE ? laftersrown, M 4, 4