Newspaper Page Text
and young manhood, was a member
of this church. Gracious revivals li leased the church under Dr. Wilson's ministry in 1S75 and again in 18S0, and much clso was accomplished. A manse was purchased. The church debt of $14,552 was paid, largely through the efforts of Mr. G. W. Wil liams, chairman of tho Board of Dea cons. An annex to the lecture-room was built for tho use of the primary department. The system of pew rents was abolished, the present system of weekly contributions was established, and the Assembly's plan of stated col lections for the beneficent causes of the Church was adopted. Mr. B. F. When in Richmond, Virginia, Stop at The Lexington Hotel Centrally Located. American Plan 92.60 and up European Plan 91-00 and up T. O. JONES, JR., Manager. S.H.HAWES & CO DIALER IN COAL ALSO Lime, Plaster and Cement UOIUOND. TiaOIMU Security ERVICE AV1NGS = "it PROVES ITSELF" I Airvericar\Nahor\al Bar\k capttal one union Richmond va GROWTH Stores grow by judicious culture. By this route have Sydnor & Hundley attained their phenomenal success In the FURNITURE BUSINESS. Heart of Grace at City Seventh Via Bristol AND THE Norfolk & Western Railway Tke Bhort Lin* Between M1W ORLEANS, BIRMINGHAM, MEMPHIS, CHATTANOOGA, KNOXVILLE AND WASHINGTON, PHILADELPHIA, NEW YORK. ?olid Train Bervloe Dining Oar. All Information cheerfully furnished. W. B. BBVILL, Passenger Trafflo Manager. W. C. SAUNDERS. General Passenger Agents. Couthern Railway ijPremier Carrier of the South *Mtaa Lmti lUeknoit, Mala It. StotUfc ?*? ^Following schedule figures pub ?V. . ?? information. Not guaranteed. A. M. Daily. Local for Danrllle, .... Charlotte, Durham and Raleigh. A. M. Dally limited for all points ? South. Parlor car. * 00 P. m. Ex. Sunday ? Local for Chase City, Buffalo Jet. and Ipter - mediate stations. P. M. Dally for Danville, Atlanta and Birmingham, with through ..... ?lectrlo lighted sleeping oar. *1.11 P. if. Dally limited for all polnte South. Pullman ready 1:00 P. M. Tnair i ? unman reaay tMW *? YORK RIVER SBH.VIC*. ?:l? P. M. Dally. Local for West Point ? si* P. M. Dally except Sunday Steamer train to West Point, conn*?tin? for Baltimore. (Parlor Car.) ':?? A. M. Dally. Looal to Woet Point Train ArrlTr la * ? Prom the South: 7:00 A. M-> ? 11:11 P. It, 7 :SB P. *L. dally, and am., except Sunday. M _*rom West Point: 1:4* A- M-. Monday and A 1L, sM ?:!? *? dally. MAORTJJ7A D*NT, ft. A^ ?e* But Mala ??e>l fMBS MeMs? Hall was added to the session. Dur ing the entire pastorate 121 persons were added to the church on profes sion and 66 by letter, a total of 187; and the gifts to the benevolent causes amounted to $7,972. But Dr. Wil son's great work was in the pulpit. A great rhetorician, he was at the same time a great theologian. And the foundations he laid in a thoroughly taught and indoctrinated people made the developments of the two succeed ing pastorates possible. In April, 1885, he gave up the pastorate to ac cept the chair of Theology in the Southwestern Presbyterian University, at Clarksville, Tenn. In September of the same year. Rev. Peyton H. Hoge, of Richmond, Va., a nephew of Dr. Moses D. Hoge, was called to the pas torate. He accepted and entered upon his duties on December 1. His pastorate was one of great service and raro usefulness. On the mate rial side of the church's work much was accomplished. First a school building and then a chapel were erect ed at Immanuel mission. The interior of the church was remodeled and reno vated. The church aided very largely in the building of th? old Y. M. C. A. building. Through the will of Ruling Elder George Chadbourn, the Abbie Chad bourn Memorial Hall for the social life of the church was built, and the Anniversary Hall for the use of the Sunday-school was built by the con gregation at the same time, the two forming one annex to the church. Also on the spiritual side of the church work much was accomplished. A number of meetings were held that resulted in large ingatherings. One held by the pastor himself soon after he came resulted in twenty-two pro fessions and additions to the church. The most notable was that held by Dr. R. G. Pearson in 1888, resulting during the meeting and later in the year in sixty-nine additions on pro fession. In 1893 a meeting was held by Evangelist D. L. Moody that re sulted in fifty-three additions on pro fession; and again in 1894, Dr. John A. Preston, of Charlotte, preached for a week, in connection with the early prayer meetings in May, and there were twenty-one additions. The church was thoroughly and firmly organized. Col. John D. Taylor and Messrs. David G. Worth, H. H. Mun son, James Sprunt, W. R. Kenan and W. S. Warrock were added to the ses sion. In 1895, Dr. George C. Worth and his wife, Mrs. Emma Chadbourn Worth, went out as the first mission aries of the church, going to Wuseh In China. That the church was at work in Home Missions as well is shown by the organization of the mis sion at Immanuel into a church with 115 members in 1895, and the organi zation of the New Hope church in Brunswick county in 1896. When Dr. Wilson gave up the pastorate there were 263 members. During Dr. Hoge's pastorate of fourteen years there were added to the church on profession 414 members and on cer tificate 165, a total of 579. Besides deaths and dismissals, 115 went to the organization of Immanuel church; so at the close of his pastorate the roll showed 376 members. The contri butions during these fourteen years amounted to the splendid total of $193,255. Of this, $100,680 was for benevolence. Dr. Hoge resigned the pastorate August 31, 1899, to accept a call to the Warren Memorial church, of Louisville, Ky. During his stay as pastor the church made great progress along every line. In December, 1900, Rev. John M. Wells, of the Second Presbyterian church of Staunton, Va., was called as pastor. He began his work on Feb ruary 23, 1901. The church roll showed 360 members and the mis* Executor Administrator Trustee In the administration of all Trusts the service of this Company is prompt, efficient and complete. Careful attention is paid to every detail and large assets afford ample security for Trust Funds. Write for our booklet on Wills. RICHMOND TRUST Capital AND SAVINGS co. Main St., 7.1 $1,000,00? Corner sion church of Iramanel showed 58 members, a total of 418. During these sixteen years many new build ings have been erected and notable improvements made. The entire in terior of the church has been reno vated, a handsome ceiling has been added, the walls frescoed, carpet and cushions renewed, and a new and mod ern heating plant put in place. A large and attractive brick manse has replaced the old wooden structure. The concrete Boys' Brigade Armory has been built at the corner of Second and Church Streets as a memorial to Ruling Elder W. R. Kenan by his family. The Delgado Kindergarten building and playground and the Marlon Sprunt playground at Immanuel havd been given by Mr. James Sprunt as memorials of his daughter. The Chadbourn Memorial chapel was given by Mr. James H. Chad bourn as a memorial of his son and daughter. The Queen Street chapel for the work among the negroes was pur chased and moved to its present site in 1911. The Delgado chapel was practically rebuilt in 1912. In the same year the attractive and commo dious Bethany chapel was built near Wrightsboro by Mr. James Sprunt, and has since been enlarged by the addi tion of Sunday-school rooms. Later the Lineker School building was pre sented to the church. In 1913 Mr. Sprunt gave the residence next door to Immanuel chapel, that the rent for same might aid the Home Missionary Society in supporting their work, and in 1915 he gave a manse to the Im manuel mission. In 1914 the commo dious Immanuel mission house was built by him, and the same year ex tensive repairs were made to the First church building. In 1915 the beau tiful Winter Park church was erected as a memorial to Mrs. B. P. Ilall. And in 1916, Mr. James Sprunt, with the assistance of his brother, Mr. W. H. Sprunt, of St. Andrew's, began the erection of the Church of the Cove nant at Market and Fifteenth Streets. This building, erected at a cost of more than $75,000, is to be a memo rial of their parents and is to relieve the overcrowded condition of the First church by a division of its member ship. Only two of the sixteen years have passed without the carrying out of building operations in connection with the work of the church. The cost of these buildings and improvements has been about $200,000. The Home Mission work of the church during these years has been richly blessed. Mission work begun at Delgado in 1905, at Winter Park in 1910, at Queen Street during the same year, and at Bethany chapel in 1912. From one to five evangelists and about the same number of Home Mission teachers have been employed each year in the work. Revs. E. E. Lane, C. W. Trawick, R. Murphy Wil liams, J. S. Crowley, J. M. Plowden, L. W. Curtis, T. W. Griffith, Palmer Chalmers, W. M. Baker, Robert King, W. M. Shaw and others have been engaged in this phase of the church's work, with notable success. Workers in congregational, Presbyterial, 8y nodical and Assembly's Home Mis sions have been supported, no part of the Home Mission work being over looked. Churches have been organ ized during that time at Bolton, Jack sonville, Winter Park, Delgado and Hallsboro by the workers of this church. The gifts to this cause in 1901 amounted to $2,221. In 1916 (Continued on page 22.) The Spirit of Our Service Is CO-OPERATION ? the deair* to be of utmost assistance to our customer*. Small as well as large accounts in vited. 8 per cent, on Saving* Aooounts. National State and Gty Bank Richmond, Va. Wm. H. Palmer, Pres. Wm. M. Hill, Vice-Pres. J. W. Sinton, Vice-Pres. Julien H. Hill, Cashier R. E. Cunningham, Asst. Csshiar Wm. S. Ryland, Asst. Cashier INCORPORATED 1832 EIGHTY-FIVE YEARS Eighty-five years in the confidence of thi* community. ThoM who favor HOME INSTITUTIONS can be accommodated vitk abaolute security and prompt attention by OUR HOME COMPANY Th? Virginia Fire & Marine Insurance Co. THE NOWLAN COMPANY High-Class Diamonds and other Precious Stones. New deans in Inncmsl sad Wedding Rings, SQrsr NoreHies end Cases of Silver for BridsJ Prevents of the Trig sat Patlaraa. Has Imported and Amerieaa Watches. Opera O lasses aal Loffsttk Goods seat os a pproral upoa satisfactory s hj rafsseoees. w eajtt main rr*i*T, ucxmomb, ta.