OCR Interpretation


The Presbyterian of the South : [combining the] Southwestern Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Southern Presbyterian. [volume] (Atlanta, Ga.) 1909-1931, June 11, 1919, Image 8

Image and text provided by Library of Virginia; Richmond, VA

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/10021978/1919-06-11/ed-1/seq-8/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for 8

The Presbyterian of die Sooth
Published wmUt by the Prssbrtsrtsn Cm.. Ins.
RBV. WM 8. CAMPBELL, D. D?
HJohmond, V*.
REV. A. A. LITTLE. D D.,
Meridian, Ulm
Editors.
Tnim of Subscription.
Plica. ? Two dollari a y?u la idfinc*. If pay
?mt is delayed thro* months, 112.50. Foreign
countries, one dollar additional.
Receipts. ? Tho label on the wrapper Is a reoelpt
for payment. If label is not chanted within t we
weeks after your remittance pleas* notify as.
Discontinuances. ? We find tbst a large majority
of our subscribers prefer not to have th?r suhscrip
tlone interrupted and their fUee broken in oase they
fall to remit before expiration. It is therefore
assumed, unless noUfication to discontinue is re
ssfved, that the subscriber wiehee no interruption in
hie aeries Notification to discontinue can he seat
in at any time during the ynar, provided all arrearage
is paid. If you wish the paper stopped, Wnte us
yourself ? don't ank the postmaster to do it.
Change of Addtess. ? Oive the old as well aa the
new adnrees, and full addreea in all correspondence.
Remittances. ? Make all remittances to "Ths
Presbyterian of the South."
Obituaries. ? Notice* of death, limited to fifty
words, are published free. Obituary notices and
resolution* of reepoct of Heeelons, Societies, ete , are
ehargsd for at the rate of one cent a word. Cor
respondents should sss that all names are
written distinctly.
Address.? The Presbyterian of the South, Room
306 Old Dominion Trust Building, 9th and Main
Sts.. Richmond, Va.
Entered as second-class matter Jans 18, 1910
at the post-office at Richmond, Va., undsr ths set
of March 3. 1870.
Ctjurcfj iletotf
VIRGINIA.
Richmond, I'll ion Theological Som.
inary: Although this is the largest
of our theological seminaries, there
are always more rails for men than
can be supplied. Not only are all the
graduates already placed, but all the
undergraduates also have been en
gaged as supplies for the summer.
This shows that there is still an in
adequate number of candidates for the
ministry and accentuates the duty "f
presenting the claims and opportuni
ties of the ministry to the young men
of our congregations and colleges. Our
people will be glad to know, however,
that the registration of new students
for next session is considerably larger
than usual at this season. Some of
the candidates who are in the army
and navy and who wish to enter the
Seminary this year have made them
selves so useful in the service of the
country that they are having much
difficulty in getting discharged. The
government knows a good thing when
It sees it, and the desire to hold on
to these capable young Christian meu
is not unnatural, but, now that the
war is over, the government should
not hinder them from resuming
promptly their direct preparation for
their life work.
The Seminary community was
greatly interested In the bestowment
of honors by Davidson College this
year, as all three of the ministers, se
lected for the doctorate of divinity
are graduates of the Seminary: Rev.
D. P. McGeachy, of Decatur, Oa.
(1899); Rev. W. Taliaferro Thomp
son, of Knoxville, Tenn. (1909), and
Rev. B. R. Lacy, Jr., of Atlanta, Ga.
(1913).
The professors have begun thdir
usual summer activities at commence
ments and conferences, Dr. T. H. Rice
having the Bible hour at the Young
People's Conference at Charlotte, N.
C., this week; Dr. W. W. Moore
preaching the baccalaureate sermon at
Winthrop College, S. C.; Dr. Edward
Mack at King College, Tenn., and Dr.
W. L. Tdngle at Hampden-Sidney and
Clemson College, S. C.
Norfolk, Colley Memorial: On June
1st Children's Day exercises for For
eign Missions were observed with
great interest by the Sunday school.
There was a large attendance by the
young people. The offering amounted
to $418, which is a considerable in
crease over the gift of last year. Seven
young people from the Sunday school
have recently joined the church. The
Christian Endeavor Society, organized
Inst winter, has proved a great suc
cegB. R. B. Grinnan.
Petersburg, Third Church: Rev
Mlchaux Raine began his fifth year's
pastorate June 1, 1919. During this
period the church has had built a com
fortable and attractive manse. Holly
wood church building, in Chesterfield
County, a former Methodist Trotcs
tant church, has been deeded to the
Third church. Here a Sunday school
is conducted each Sunday afternoon,
and the pastor of the Third church
preaches twice a month at 4 P. M.
West Street church building, formerly
used by the Methodists of the West
End, has been bought and paid for.
An afternoon school is conducted in
this building by members of the Third
church, assisted by some of the Sec
ond church members. The member
ship of the Third church has grown
during these four years from 114 to
264, 176 names having been added to
the church roll, 122 by profession and
fifty-four by letter, making an average
of forty-four per year. The gifts to
all causes have increased from $1,650
to $3,500, and the church is pledged
for over $2,000 for benevolence alone
during the coming year. A young
ministerial candidate, Mr. Dewey New
ton, now at Hampden-Sidney College,
has been secured for the summer
months to work with the pastor in
connection with Hollywood Sunday
school, and will be in the field June
9th. As pastor and people view these
past achievements in the Lord's ser
vice, they feel a certain amount of
joy that the Lord has thus counted
them worthy to do his work. But
deeper still is a feeling of humility,
that much more might have been done
if their faith had only been stronger
in him who has promised an abundant
supply of his grace.
Dr. W. H. T. Squires, of Norfolk,
recently closed a most profitable ae
ries of services in this church. As a
result some ten young people have al
ready been received into the church.
Rev. W. B. Mcllwaine, of Richmond,
is assisting the pastor in a series of
services at Hollywood beginning Sun
day, June 8th.
Winchester has been greatly priv
ileged in having Rev. R. O. McLees
for a ten days' meeting, and he has
left much blessing behind. We have
had some of our choicest evangelists
In the past and we cherish their mem
ories, but just now we love Mr. Mc
Lees more than them all. Simplicity,
spirituality and heart searching are
the characteristics of his messages.
Wholly lacking In all the arts used
to arrest attention, wholly devoid of
sensation, yet few men more compel
attention or reach hearts. There was
never a crowded house, because never
did circumstances so conspire against
a meeting, but no man has ever left
a greater blessing behind. There have
been twenty-three additions to the
church and there will be more. Miss
Harbison's singing was most helpful
and a great Inspiration both to preach
er and congregation.
Hampden-Sidney! Rev. J. C. Shlve.
superintendent of Home Missions in
West Hanover Presbytery, paid us a
visit some weeks ago. He asked the
Home Missionary Society of the church
If they would undertake to raise $100
In order to equip one of our workers
with a Ford. The proposition was ac
cepted, but Instead of sending In the
money month by month as It came
through the regular monthly collec
tion, the first Sunday In June was set
for the raising of this amount. The
cause of Home Missions was present
ed at the morning service, and at the
close of the sermon the extra collec
tion was made. The money received
amounted to $95, and this, with what
was already on hand, went well be
yond the amount needed.
Tho last Sunday in May Rev. P. B.
Hill, of Roanoke, was with us. In
the morning ho made a splendid and
stirring address on our mission work
in Korea to a large congregation, and
in the evening he spoke more directly
to the students on "The Marks of a
Man." ? Both services were keenly en
joyed and appreciated.
The second Sunday of June marked
the beginning of our commencement
exercises. The sermon to the gradu
ating class was preached by Dr. W.
Ij. Dingle, of Union Theological Sem
inary, and the sermon before the Y.
M. C. A. by Rev. A. It. Byrd, of Wash
ington. E. G. G.
ALABAMA.
Clan ton: A Presbyterian church
was organized in Clanton, the county
site of Chilton County, in 1018 by a
commission of East Alabama Presby
tery. There were eight members in
the organization. Two members since
have moved away, taking their church
letters. A few faithful members are
hoping to have a building as early as
possible. By the courtesy of (he Meth
odists we use that church once a
month. There is only one other small
organization in the county. There a?
between two and three thousand pea
pie in Clanton, a thriving town In a
populous white county, that promises
much growth. We ought to have a
good church and building here.
Calebe: On the fourth Sabbath in
May a service was held in this church
with a good attendance. This church
has an interesting Sabbath school. Af
ter the service the members remained
to confer as to the "Three and a Half
Million Drive." Within a few minutes
the quota allotted to this church,
$125, was subscribed.
GEORGIA.
Atlanta: Gordon Street church has
celebrated the first anniversary of the
pastorate of Rev. Robert M. Stimson
by becoming self-sustaining, and al
most doubling its pledges for missions
for the new year, the current pledgas
amounting to over $900. During the
year just closed over fifty new mem
bers were added, a large number of
which were by profession. There are
no outstanding debts at this time, an J
the first two months of the new year
find us with all bills paid and a niie
balance in the treasury. The Sunday
school enrollment has been doubled
and plans are now being considered
for a specially designed Sunday school
room to adjoin the church on the Lu
cile Avenue side. Rev. Edwin Hemp
hill has Just concluded a very succ933
ful series of evangelistic meetings, re
sulting in the addition of seventeen
new members, there being ten others
professing conversion, but who pre
ferred to join the Methodist and Bap
tist churches. A splendid orchestra
has been added to the Sunday school,
and a feature of the Sunday evening
services is special singing by the Male
Quartet. Grateful acknowledgement is
made to God for His goodness in mak
ing these things possible. There a^e
bright prospects, indeed, for the ex
tension of the Presbyterian faith in
this far western part of the city.
Carl R. Cunningham.
LOUISIANA.
New Orleans: The people of the
Presbyterian churches are resting,
with most happy memories, after the
great Assembly meeting. They are re
ceiving scores of letters from their
recent guests, and appreciate them.
They are especially pleased with the
realization by their guests of the pe
culiar difficulties of domestic servico
these days. The Carrollton church
had Rev. W. G. Harry for its preacher
last Sunday, It and the Palmer Park
church uniting in the service. Favor
able reports come as to Dr. Cornel
son, pastor of the First church. Rev.
Dr. A. R. Shaw, recently of the
Southwestern Presbyterian University,
Clarksville, Tenn., has been engaged
as supply of the First church for six
weeks, beginning June 8th. Follow
ing him, Rev. Dr. D. H. Ogden, of
Louisville, Ky., will supply the pulpit
for a few weeks.
New Orleans Presbyter)': The Home
Missions Committee misses Dr. J. W.
Caldwell, Jr., for so many years its
faithful treasurer. Dr. Louis Voss, of
819 First Street, New Orleans, will lor
the present fill his place. Church trea
surers, pastors and others interested
are asked to note this.
Clinton: The Silliman Collegiate
Institute, the only Presbyterian insti
tution in Louisiana, closed its sixty
seventh year on May 27th. Under the
able management of Rev. U. B. Currie
and his wife, with a fine faculty, the
year just past has been a most suc
cessful one in every way, with large
attendance, fine health and good finan
cial results. The commencement exer
cises began with a striking sermon by
Dr. Jasper K. Smith, of Shreveport,
on "Keep Thy Heart With All Dili
gence, for Out of It Are the Issues of
Life." Successful expression and mu
sical recitals were held. The graduat
ing exercises took place Tuesday even
ing. Twenty-one young ladies received
diplomas. The address to the gradu
ates was delivered by Dr. George Sum
mey, of New Orleans, on the theme,
"The Extraordinariness of the Ordi
nary." In addition to their diplomas,
all the young ladies received special
certificates showing completion of the
required course in "First Aid," given
by the health officer of the parish.
The chapel in the attractive, stately
building of the institute was filled with
eager listeners at all the exercises,
and there was every manifestation of
pride and satisfaction in the success
ful institution.
MISSISSIPPI.
Belliaven College has just closed the
best year in its history. The com
mencement exercises were held May
17th-20th. On May 17th was the ex
hibition of fine and domestic art. On
May 18th at 11 o'clock Dr. A. A. Lit
tle, pastor of the First Presbyterian
church om Meridian, preached the bac
calaureate sermon, presenting Clirifct
as the ideal. At 8 o'clock Dr. Little
preached the sermon before the Y. W.
C. A.
On May 19th the Senior Class Day
exercises were held in the morning
and from 1 to 3 P. M. the home-com
ing luncheon was enjoyed by mauy
of the former students of Belhaven.
In the evening the students in music
and expression gave a fine concert,
which showed faithful work that had
been done in these departments.
On May 20th Dr. C. H. Williamson,
pastor of the First Presbyterian
church, Memphis, delivered the lite
rary address on the subject of effi
ciency. The diplomas were delivered
by the president to nine full gradu
ates, four graduates In home econo- .
mics and to one In the commercial da
partment.
? The college has been under the ef
ficient management of Dr. W. H. Fra
zer for two years, and has made gratf
fying progress in every way. The at.
tendance has increased by 40 per
cent., the college property has been
much improved and enlarged by the
building of an annex and in other
ways, and the. financial profits have
been most gratifying, exceeding by far
the best reports of any previous year.
The most important feature of the In
stitution is its high Christian tone
and its excellence in all that contri
butes to the building of noble Chris
tian viomanhood.

xml | txt