OCR Interpretation


The Presbyterian of the South : [combining the] Southwestern Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Southern Presbyterian. [volume] (Atlanta, Ga.) 1909-1931, November 12, 1919, Image 10

Image and text provided by Library of Virginia; Richmond, VA

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/10021978/1919-11-12/ed-1/seq-10/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for 9

lion one of the most ambitious
schemes ever undertaken by a class
of similar size in the South. They
have installed the most expensive and
most modern motion picture machine
and equipment, and are using the
best Biblical films that can be secured
with splendid effect in building up
a large class on Sunday morning, and
as an aid to the Sunday evening ser
vice, In which the pastor preaches a
gospel sermon before the pictures are
thrown on the screen. This has re
sulted in the large auditorium being
packed at the start and the proba
bility of having to provide additional
seating capacity. These splendid men
are to be highly commended for their
zeal, wisdom and liberality in this
matter. Dr. Homer McMillan delight
ed this church with a visit recently.
D. B. Gregory.
Ivester Memorial Church, near Pem
broke: A meeting was held in this
church recently, seven members be
ing received, and others are waiting
to be received. Mr. J. W. Jackson,
of the Louisville Seminary, haa la
bored successfully in this field all
summer. He remained during most
of the meeting and rendered great
assistance to Rev. D. B. Gregory, who
did the preaching. It is a pleasure
to serve the noble people who main
tain the work there.
Lexington : An effort has been
made to bring about a union between
the First and Second churches of this
city. The First church, which belongs
to the Southern Assembly, had by last
report 416 members. The Second,
which belongs to the Northern As
sembly, had in 1918 416 members.
The Second church voted 175 to 10
in favor of union. The vole of the
First church was 119 to 106 against
union. This vote, therefore, prevent
ed the consummation of the plan.
The First church has no pastor, but
the Second has a pastor. Tho plan
was for the united church to belong
to the Southern Church.
Canoe: The following commission
from West Lexington Presbytery went
to Canoe Saturday, November 1st, to
organize a church there the follow
ing Sunday: Revs. J. S. Hain?, W.
B. Guerrant, A. H. Doak and Elder
T. B. Talbot. We had the good for
tune to have Rev. J. W. Tyler, D. D.,
of the Assembly's committee, to be
with us. The train reached the sta
tion at 6 in the evening, one hour
after dark, and left us five miles from
our destination in a driving, rain
storm. We rode for three hours up
a roaring creek to get up one side of
the mountain and then down the
other side after the same fashion.
And to crown it all, the Kentucky
River had backed up almost to the
mission house in front of us. We
knew when we reached our stopping
place because we could go no further.
This point has been well named Ca
noe.
But the people of the community
and the workers wero wholly undis
mayed by these conditions. In fact,
their boundless enthusiasm in the
midst of all this water amazed us.
Large preparation had been made for
this service, and though there was
so much against it, the church was
comfortably filled in the morning
They listened with unflagging inter
est to a service that lasted for three
hours. That would have more than
satisfied an average audience, but
their patience was boundless. They
came back in the afternoon and then
again at night. All this, too, over
roads covered by water and with a
walk of miles.
The church was organized with a
membership of fifty-six. Three joined
by profession that day and one by
letter. Every officer of the church is
* miracle oi grace. 8t>ac* alone pre
vents giving some of their history.
That whole territory is ours, if the
church will only take possession of it.
This is the day of our golden oppor
tunity. This field Is exceptionally
well manned. Mrs. Patsy Turner has
labored long and brilliantly there
and the result of it is apparent on
every hand. Rev. and Mrs. Cloyd, of
Lexington, Ky., are there too now,
and are doing a most excellent work.
They deserve your prayer and sup
port. If you have any of God's money,
will you not make an offering to this
work? Send all contributions to Mr.
T. B. Talbot, Lexington, Ky.
A. H. Doak,
Chairman Home Missions.
MISSISSIPPI.
Synod of Mississippi will meet in
Columbus, Miss., Tuesday, November
18, 1919, at 7:30 P. M.
S. C. Caldwell, S. C.
Hazlchurst: On returning from
Tylertown Presbytery, Dr. C. W. Graf
ton, of Union church, made a few
days' visit to Hazlehurst and preached
a series of able and impressive ser
mons on some of the leading themes
of the Bible: (1) "Prayer"; (2)
"The Nazarite'; (3) "Anothen ?
Born from Above"; (4) "Atone
ment"; (5) "Rahab"; (6) "Sealed
Unto the Day of Redemption"; (7)
"Family Religion"; (8) "Milk for
Babes; Strong Meat for Those of Full
Age"; (9) "David's Sin and Repent
ance." Dr. Grafton has beeu pastor
of Union church, in Jefferson county,
forty-six years. His bow still abides
in strength. His influence Is con
stantly increasing. He has many ad
mirers and some Intimate friends of
half a century's standing in Hazle
hurst.
S. C. C.
MISSOURI.
The Synod of Missouri: A number
of treasurers of benevolences In the
local churches of the Synod have sent
a check for the total amount of be
nevolences received by their Church
to Synod's chairman of Systematic Be
neficence, requesting him to appor
tion it to the various Assembly and
Synodlcal causes. He is very willing
to do this in cases of emergency, but
the minutes of the Assembly and the
Synod of Missouri for 1918 gives the
percentages for the distribution of
these funds. Besides this a circular
letter has recently been sent out by
your chairman giving in detail the
percentages for apportioning benevo
lences. This letter was either sent to
the pastor, the clerk of the session
or the treasurer of benevolences
Twice during the current year since
April 1st there have been published in
the columns of the ?hurch papers
these same percentages. The new
minutes of the Synod will ?oon be
published, we hope, giving the per
centages for Synodlcal causes from
October 1, 1919, to October 1, 1920.
Your chairman will be glad to fur
nish these to any who are unable to
flntl them, or to explain them, if need
be, where they are not understood.
Robert S. Boyd, Chairman.
Farminfcton: "Everybody - to - Sun
day-School-Day" was observed by
this church on October 26th. It was
a rainy day from sunrise to sunset.
But the forces' had been well organ
ized in conjunction wltfi a town move
ment for a record attendance at Sun
day school, and there were present
262 persons. Even when we count
the children of the Orphanage here,
most of these were seniors and
adults. There were present thirty
two men in the Men's Bible Class,
besides a yo\ing men's class and sev
eral men teaching in the lower de
partments of the school. The next
Sunday with very little effort there
were present 260, with twenty-six in
the men's class. The offering was for
rebuilding Protestantism In Belgium
and France, and amounted to about
>20. On Rally Day, October 5th, the
offering was $40 for Sabbath School
Extension. On the evening of Novem
ber 13th "a booster meeting" is to
be given for the men of the church
which we hope will result in a more
definite organization of the men. On
Monday, the 17th, a group confer
ence of the women of Potosi Presby
terial will be held in the Parmington
church, opening at 10 A. M. and con
tinuing all day and evening. Miss
Mabel Hall, of Davidson, N. C., and
Rev. John Little, of Louisville, will ?
be the principal spoakora. Rev. Lit
tle will give his stereoptical lecture
at the evening service on "Colored
Evangelization." At a joint meeting of
Sunday school teachers and officers of
Farmington last Sunday, representing
all denominations, a forward step was
taken in authorizing the forming of
an Interdenominational Committee for
the social and religious life of the
>oung people of the town. These
three movements cover the entire ac
tivities of the membership of this
church and make the outlook exceed
ingly hopeful for a more aggressive
work in the future.
R. S. B.
MISSOURI.
Potosi Presbytery: At an ad
journed meeting of this Presbytery
held in Mexico, Mo., October 28, 1919
Rev. Charles Hay Morton was re^
ceived from the Presbytery of Des
Moines, Iowa, U. S. A., and a com
mission was appointed to install him
as pastor of the First Presbyterian
church, Cape Girardeau, Mo., name
ly: Rev. J. Frank Turner to pre
side, preach the sermon and consti
tute the pastoral relation; Rev. John
H. Green to charge the pastor, ana
Elder Willis Knox to charge the peo
ple. And to complete the commission
Rev. John E. Kerr was named as al
ternate for Rev. John H. Green, and
Elder J. W. Hunter as alternate for
Elder Willis Knox. The installation
to occur at such time as the commis
sion and church shall designate. Rev.
Br. E. E. Hendrick was elected to rep
resent Potosi Presbytery on Synod's
Home Mission Committee.
Geo. W. Harlan, S. C.
- Westminster College Is the reci
pient of another fine gift. This gift
Is in the form of an excellent farm
of 260 acres, six miles from one of
the best county seats in Northern Mis
souri, on a leading cross-State high
way. The deed to the farm runs
half and half to Westminster and Sy
nodical Colleges. The place Is val
ued at $32,500. The institutions pay
an annuity to the donors while they
live. This carries the Westminster
campaign, begun by President Reed
three years ago, to $705,500, on
which all has been paid In already
but about $150,000. There have been
over 4,700 subscriptions, and more
than 2,700 have been paid In full,
though most of the subscriptions were
made payable !n three and some in
Ave vears. The assets of the college
are now $1,031,000 and no debt.
Missouri Synod: The following ac
tion was taken at its recent meeting
' In view of the raising of a Commit
tee of Conference on closer relations
with one or more denominations of
evangelical Christians of like ' faith
and order as that of our own Church,
the Synod of Missouri places itself on
record as approving and as being in
full sympathy with the action of the
last General Assembly of our Church
found on page 43 of the Minutes for
1919, naragraph fifth, which In part
to a? follows:
?ifeali H , V ^
relations between this Church and any
other Church shall contemplate or
ganic union, the attention of the Ad
Interim Committee Is directed to past
deliverances of and reports of the
Assembly touching such matters, and
it is advised that the Assembly and
the Church would view with un
easiness and structure of union
which failed to take into account
and safeguard the historic convic
tions and positions of this Church
with respect to sound doctrine,
just and effective discipline, the
plenary inspiration and inerrancy of
the Scripturos, the vicarious atone
ment, the spiritual mission or tne
Church and Its obligations to abstain
from interference in matters purely
of civil or political concern."
NORTH CAROLINA.
Davidson: Students and faculty
have been privileged to hear this
week in a series of services, covering
three days' excellent addresses by
Rev. Dr. A. S. Johnson, of the First
church, Charlotte, who has been con
ducting the evangelistic campaign of
the Y. M. C. A.; Rev. Robert Miles,
secretary. The song service has been
led very acceptably by Mr. Mell, in
charge of the Y. M. C. A. community
work In Rock Hill.
Dr. Johnson has spoken to large
audiences at each service. Briefly at
chapel for two mornings, when all
students are expected to be present,
and at the three evening services,
where attendance Is of course volun
tary, 90 to 95 per cent, of the stu
dents came out to hear.
Dr. Johnson's sermons have been
characterized by brevity, force, point,
impelling power and an appealing ear
nestness and cogency of argument
that have been very effective in win
ning the attention and sympathy of
all who have heard him. With lit
erally few exceptions, all of the stu
dents at Davidson are members of
the church. Special effort by the min
ister has been lo show that salvation
involves something more than enroll
ment in membership and again that
all men, like the apostle, should feel
themselves dabtors and recognize that
heavy responsibilities rest upon them
to discharge obligations owed to God
and their fellowmen.
The invitation at the last service
to rise and give by this act expression
to a new resolve toward a life of
genuine loyalty and obedience to
Jesus Christ met with a well nigh
universal and prompt response.
The announcement that Rev. Dr.
Frank Price, an honored and greatly
beloved missionary to China, would
speak here Sunday was received with
great pleasure. Dr. Price about thir
ty years or more ago, prior to his
going to China, conducted a meeting
at Davidson during the pastorate of
Rev. Dr. R. F. Campbell, and Is fur
ther remembered most pleasantly by
reason of visits subsequent to his
work in the East. He has sent three
sons to Davidson, all reflecting honor
upon the college and parents alike.
Presbytery of Mecklenburg met in
adjourned session at tha Charlotte
First church on Monday, November
3, 1919, at 2 P. M.
All the commissioners to the list
Assembly reported thoir attendanco.
The installation of the Rev. T. Q.
Tate at Badin, N. C., was reported.
It took place on Sunday, October 19,
1919.
The Rev. G. W. Cheek and Elder
J. M. Harris were elected trustees of
the Rot kv River School for Boys, at
Aquadale, N. C., together with
Messrs. J. R. Pharr and W. H. Belk,
who were appointed by the Assem?
bly's Home Mission Committee at At
( Continued on page 12)

xml | txt