OCR Interpretation


The Presbyterian of the South : [combining the] Southwestern Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Southern Presbyterian. [volume] (Atlanta, Ga.) 1909-1931, December 10, 1919, Image 8

Image and text provided by Library of Virginia; Richmond, VA

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/10021978/1919-12-10/ed-1/seq-8/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for 8

The Presbyterian tf the Sooth
Published weekly by the Presbyterian Co., Inc.
REV. WM. 8. CAMPBELL, D. D.,
Richmond, Va.
REV. A. A. LITTLE. D. D.,
Meridian, Miss
Editors.
Terms of Subscription.
Price. ? Two dollars a year in advance. If pay
ment is delayed three months, $2.50. Foreign
countries, one dollar additional.
Receipts. ? The label on the wrapper is a receipt
for payment. If label is not changed within two
weeks after your remittance please notify us.
Discontinuances. ? We find that a lanjre majority
of our subscribers prefer not to have thrir subscrip
tions interrupted and their files broken in case they
fail to remit before expiration. It is therefore
assumed, unless notification to discontinue is re
ceived, that the subscriber wishes no interruption in
his series. _ Notification to discontinue can be sent
in at any time during the year, provided all arrearage
is paid. If you wish the paper stopped, write us
yourself*? don't ask the postmaster to do it.
Change of Address. ? Give the old as well as the
new address, and full address in all correspondence.
Remittances. ? Make all remittances to "The
Presbyterian of the South."
Obituaries. ? Notices of death, limited to fifty
words, are published free. Obituary notices and
resolutions ot respect of Sessions. Societies, etc., are
charged for at the rate of one cent a word. Cor
respondents should sec that all names are
written distinctly.
Addresst ? The Presbyterian of the South. Room
308 Old Dominion Trust Building, 0th and Main
Sts.. Richmond, Va.
Entered as second-class matter June 15, 1910,
at the post-office at Richmond, Va.. under the act
of March 3, 1879.
Cljurtt) iMos
VIRGINIA.
Richmond: Rev. Dr. F. T. Mo
Faden, pastor of the First church, has
received a very flatterng call to the
First church of Savannah, Ga. He
will visit the church before announc
ing his decision.
Rev. W. E. Hutchison, recently of
Weaverville, N. C., and formerly pas
tor of Mizpah church, in this city, has
accepted the call to the pastorate of
Overbrook and has begun his work
there, much to the delight of the
members of that church.
Rev. Dr. S. L. Morris, secretary of
Home Missions, of Atlanta, Ga.,
preached at the First church last Sun
day morning. At the Second church
Dr. John Nelson Wills, of Philadel
phia, spoke on "The Foreigner in This
Country."
East Hanover Presbytery met in
adjourned session in Richmond last
week. Mr. W. T. McDonald, a mem
ber of Aberdour church, "was received
as a candidate for the ministry. A
call from Bethan/ church for the pas
toral services of Licentiate W. K.
Keys, of Abingdon Presbytery, was
received. Its consideration was post
poned until an adjourned meeting of
Presbytery to be held on Tuesday,
December 16th, at 3 P. M., in the
Presbyterian Publishing House, Rich
mond. One of the special subjects to
be considered at this coming meeting
will be the necessity of increasing the
annual quotas of the churches to the
Presbyterial expense fund.
Win. S. Campbell, S. C.
Roanoke Presbytery: A special
meeting of Roanoke Presbytery is
hereby called for Wednesday, Decem
ber 17, 1919, at 11 A. M., at the
Drakes Branch church, to consider:
1. Resignation of Rev. A. J. Pon
ton from the Pamplin group, and hia
dismissal to Lexington Presbytery, if
the way be clear.
2. Renewed resignation of Rev. B.
F. Bedinger as Superintendent ot
Home Missions and Sunday School
Work, and the election of his succes
sor.
3. Supply or ' regrouping of the
Hermon field to be vacated by Rev.
A. E. Qrover.
4. Any special plans of the Home
Missions Committee:
Cochran Preston, Moderator.
Newport News:, At the Thanksgiv
ing service held in the First Pres
byterian the pastor, Dr. E. T. Well
ford, enumerated among other bless
ings the following special causes for
gratitude: The continuation of the
soldier work until all the boys had
returned home, an expenditure o f
over $22,000, and the attendance of
over 150,000 men in uniform; the
establishment of another Presbyte
rian outpost in the suburb of Hilton,
providing a lot and temporary build
ing and the permanent location of
another Presbyterian minister in the
city at that point; the organization
of nearly 400 women of the church
into sixteen different circles under the
general designation of the Woman's
Auxiliary; an Increase of 30 per cent,
in contributions to current expenses
and of 26 per cent, in contribution
to benevolences; going over the top
of the budget by more than $10,000
exclusive of the increased percentage
above referred to, and providing the
cash to retire all bonds of the church
which will fall due in 1920; an in
crease of 100 in the attendance at
? Sunday school over a year ago, and
122 additions to the church. The
present membership of the mother
church, exclusive of our outpost, is
over 600.
Rockflsh: At a joint meeting of
representatives of the Home Mission
Committee of West Hanover Presby
tery, and the Manse Committee of
this chufch, Mr. C. H. Martin, a lib
eral and loyal elder, presented to the
church a valuable and attractive piece
of land on the main thoroughfare of
Rockflsh Valley, on which to build a
manse. We have in sight thirty-five
hundred dollars with which to build.
A building committee has been ap
pointed and the work will begin at
once.
Rev. R. E. McAlpine, one of our
beloved missionaries to Japan, came
to us the fourth Sunday of November
and spoke at Rockflsh church, Winter
Green, Beech Grove and Proffltt's
chapel on his work in Japan. His
lectures were forceful and instructive.
He had large congregations to hear
him, excellent attention, and his pres
ence with us bestowed a lasting bene
diction.
The session has granted the pastor
the month of January for his vaca
tion. He will spend the time in post
graduate work in White's Bible
School, N. Y.
J. P. Proffltt.
Ruena Vista: In Huffman's Hol
low in the mountains near this city
Miss Sallie Dickinson, a faithful and
consecrated worker, has been conduct
ing a school for the mountain chil
dren. It had to be closed November
1st because there is no suitable build
ing in which to conduct the school.
Miss Dickinson is making an effort
to raise enough money to build a
chapel and a school-house. The Young
Woman's Clu-istian Association of the
Farmville NfR*mal School have given
1^50 to aid in the building. Miss
Dickinson and her assistant, Mrs.
Wilkes Madison, of Tabb Street
church, * Petersburg, conduct two
Sunday schools in the community,
walking five miles each Sunday to do
this. Another teacher is wanted, and
two ladies have offered to go as soon
as accommodations can be provided
for them and their work. If any of
our readers want to fcave a part in
this good work, the Presbyterian of
the South will be glad to receive and
forward their gifts. ,
Oxford Church, in Rockbridge
County: Rev. N. A. Parker was in
stalled pastor of this church on Sun
day, November 30th. The commis
sion of Lexington Presbytery ap
pointed for this service consisted oif
Rev. T. K. Young. Rev. A. C. Hop
kins, Rev. J. K. Parker and Ruling
Elders James Lewis Howe and Robert
Montgomery.
Elon Church, In Amherst County,
has Just concluded a twelve-day meet
ing under the leadership and preach
ing of Chaplain J. McD. Lacy, one of
Assembly's evangelists. Chaplain Lacy
is a man of winiWng personality and
a preacher of power, and won the
hearts of the people. Record-break
ing crowds attended, the services. A
feature of the meeting was the sing
ing led hy a chorus of boys and girls.
There wej-e nineteen additions to the
church as a result of the meeting.
On Thanksgiving Day Chaplain Lacy
addressed the returned service men
of the community, and a large crowd
attended the all-day service that day.
His visit brought with it a spiritual
uplift and blessing to the church and
community.
Ground was broken for the new
manse at Elon Wednesday, December
3d. The excavation was done by the
volunteer labor of a score of the men
in the congregation, and we hope
soon to have a handsome home on
the site, which is one of the most
desirable building sites in the county.
C. J. W.
APPALACHIA.
Brevard, N. C.: Our pastor has
just returned from a month's vaca
tion, and the church is settling down
to the winter routine. During his ab
sence visiting ministers supplied the
pulpit, among them being Rev. Mr.
Huske, of Brazil, who gave a most
interesting and instructive address on
fhe country of his missionary labors.
G. H. N.
FLORIDA.
Lakeland: For the second time
this church has supplied its pastor,
Rev. C. I. Stacy, with a nice touring
car, equipped with the latest neces
sary conveniences. This is not mere
ly a great convenience, but an actual
necessity. The new church building
is already proving a splendid attrac
tion, and interest and membership are
both growing.
GEORGIA.
Austell and Villa Rica churches
have recently purchased a very com
fortable manse located at Austell.
Then they gave to the pastor and his
wife a pleasant surprise party, filling
the pantry and the poultry yard and
presenting a generous check for the
pocketbook. Their thoughtfulness is
appreciated.
GEORGIA.
Columbus: On a recent Sabbath
morning the First church held a spe
cial service in memory of the Edict
of Nantes. Our pastor, Dr. I. S. Mc
Elroy, preached an appropriate ser
mon for the occasion. He gave a
graphic resume of the history of the
French Protestant Church and of
their heroism under persecutions
rarely, if ever, paralleled and of their
present urgent needs and divinely ap
pointed mission in Western Contin'en
tal Europe. The people responded
with an offering of $300 for this
cause.
Cor.
College Park: Unusual interest
was awakened on Universal Bible
Sunday when the pastor, Dr. John
H. Elliott, preached a sermon on
"God's Perfect Law," from Psalm
19:7, 8, 9. The audience was deeply
impressed with the way in which he
called attention to his "ministers'
tools," as he called his eighteen
Bibles which he had in the pulpit as
an exhibit, Noticing that there were
no flowers on the stands as usual,
he placed the Bibles in two piles on
the top of the stands and then called
attention to 1 Peter 1:24:25: "For
all flesh is grass, and all the glory
of man as the flower of grass. The
grass withereth, and the flower there
of falleth away: but the word of the
Lord endureth forever. And this Is
the word by which the gospel Is
preached unto you." In telling brief
ly the story of how he came by these
Bibles, many of which were presents,
he referred to the flrst he bought for
himself as a student in 1876 and for
which he paid the snug sura of four
teen dollars, and it was not in the
time of the high cost of living either.
One of the books that attracted uni
versal interest and attention was a
"Mormon Bible," beautifully bound in
seal and kid with gold edges, given
to him by a young soldier in one of
the military camps where he had
preached the gospel. In presenting it
the young soldier had said: "I have
no further use for it, as I have been
led to give my heart to Christ, by
reading this Kaki Testament, given
to me by the 'Y' man at the desk*'
The last book referred to was a copy
of the smallest Bible ip the world.
So small that a postage stamp covers
the entire page. Still it contains the
entire New Testament with illustra- v
tions, but of course no one could read
it without a strong magnifying g^ass.
The whole service was deeply impres
sive.
LOUISIANA.
Now Orleans: The Berean colored
church has called to its pastorate Rev.
J. W. Lee, of Baton Rouge, and it is
understood that he will accept the
call.
MISSOURI.
La Belle: The church here has
been greatly strengthened and
blessed by a two weeks* revival
meeting. Dr. John E. Abbott, Su
perintendent of Home Missions in
this Synod, did the preaching. Large
crowds from the town and surround
ing country were present every night,
and the sermons were strong, in
spirational and pleasing. As a visi
ble result there wer%s twelve addi
tions to the church. The people here
have given the pastor and family a
very cordial welcome in La Belle,
and have expressed their good will
and friendship in many substantial
ways.
R. M. Firebaugh.
NORTH CAROLINA.
Parkton Church sent seventeen of
her young men to the war, practical
ly all of them being members of the
Sunday school. Every Sunday iu the
Sunday school special prayer was
made that God would protect them
and bring them back. While most of
them were in the thick of the fight
ing, and Bome wounded, all came
home. On the last Sunday in No
vember a special thanksgiving service
was held in the Sunday school for
the answer of our prayers, and a
thank offering of $300 was made to
the Barium Springs Orphanage. Mr.
H. C. McMillan is superintendent of
this school.
Charlotte, Pegram Street: The
good people of Uhis congregation
visited the manse recently and pound
ed the pastor, the Rev. John E. Wool,
in the most approved manner. The
young people came and spent an en
joyable evening.
Mecklenburg I*reebytery met in the
Qharlotte First church on Saturday,
November 30, 1919, at 11 A. M. The
pastoral relation between the Rev. C.
W. McCully and the Central, Steele
Creek and Pleasant Hill churches was
dissolved, and he was given a cer
tificate of dismission to Bethel Pres
bytery, where he goes to take charge
of the church at Sharon, S. C. There
will be an adjourned meeting of Pres
bytery at the Charlotte First church
on "Monday, December 16th, at 2 P.
M.
John E. Wool, 8. C.

xml | txt