Hie Presbyterian ?f the Smith
Published weekly by the Presbyterian Co.. Inc.
REV. WM.g. CAMPBELL. D. D.
REV. A. A. LITTt.E. D D?
Terms of Subscription.
Price. ? Two dollars a year In advance. If pay
ment is delayed three months. 12.50. Foreign
countries, one dollar additional
Receipts. ? The label on the wrapper is a receipt
for payment. If label is not changed within two
weeks after your remittance please notify us.
Discontinuances. ? We find that a lar^e majority
of our subscribers prefer not to have their subscri|>
tions interrupted and their files broken in case they
fail to remit before expiration. It is therefore
assumed, un'ess notification to discontinue is re
ceived. that the subscriber wishes no interruption in
his series. Notification to discontinue can be sent
in at any time during the year, provided all arrearage
is paid. If you wish the paper stopped, write us
yourself? don't ask the postmaster to do it.
Change of Address. ? Give the old as well as the
new address, and full address in all corre?t>ondenre
Remittances. ? Make all remittances to "The
Presbyterian of the South."
Obituaries. ? Notices of death, limited to fifty
words, are published free. Obituary notices and
resolutions of respect of Sessions, Societies, etc., sre
charged for at the rate of one cent a word. Cor
respondents should see that all names are
Address. ? The Presbyterian of the South. Room
30# Old Dominion Trust Kuilding, 9th and Main
Sts., Richmond. Va
Entered a? second-cla^s matter June 1ft, 1910,
at the post-office at Richmond, Va.. under the act
of March 3, 1K70
Union Theological Seminary: Dr.
C. A. Logan, of Tokushima, Japan,
addressed the students last week,
speaking earnestly and effectively on
the kind of missionaries needed for
Japan at the present time.
The British papers announce tlia
death of Mrs. Margaret 1). Gibson, of
Cambridge, Eng., and the grave ill
ness of her twin sister, Mrs. Agnes
Lewis, discoverer of the Lewis Pa
limpsest of the Syriac New Testa
ment. These two ladies were recog
nized as the most learned women in
the world, and had both received the
degree of LL. 1). from some of th-2
most famous universities in Europe.
They carried the weight of their great
learning lightly, with modesty and
self-forgetfulness, and their goodness
and kindness were even more remark
able than their vast erudition. Thev
used their wealth freely in Biblical
researches in the East, and in the
upbuilding of the Theological Sem
inary and the Presbyterian Church at
Cambridge, of which they were de
voted members. Their visit to Rfch
mond some years ago is vividly and
pleasantly remembered, and the ad
dresses which they made in the Sem
inary chapel on their expeditions to
Mt. Sinai drew a large audience of
cultivated women. Professor Har
nack, of Berlin, says that the manu
script discovered by Mrs. Lewis is
probably the most important witness
for our gospels.
Montgomery Presbytery: Rev. N.
H. Kuykendall was installed pastor
of Piedmont church on January 11th.
At a called meeting in Lynchburg on
January 22d Rev. H. L. Cathey was
granted a letter of dismission to the
Presbytery of Arkansas. Mr. Cathey
has been for some yearn assistant pas
tor in the First Presbyterian church
of Lynchburg. At a called meeting
In Roanoke. Va., on January 28th the
Rev. T. P. Johnson was received from
the Presbytery of Abingdon. A call
from the Christiansburg church wa.i
presented for the pastoral services of
Mr. Johnson and was accepted by him.
A commission consisting of Rev. S.
\V. Moore. Rev. E. E. Lane, Rev.
Locke White and Elder T. P. Camp
bell, of Blacksburg, was appointed to
install Mr. Johnson at Christiansburg.
L. W. Irwin, S. C.
Ilanipden-Sldney College and the
college church greatly enjoyed the
preaching of Rev. T. W. Hooper, of
Culpeper, *Va. He was with U9 for a
week, preaching In the church in tho
morning and in the chapel in the
evening. Fresh from his experiences
in the war zone, Mr. Hooper was able
to present the old gospel with great
force and interest. His messages were
earnestly received by the students and
the congregation. During the absence
of the pastor in part of December and
January the pulpit of College church
was most acceptably filled by Rev. J.
B. Massey, Asa D. Watkins and Dr.
J. E. Booker. The sympathetic work
of these men is a great asset to the
entire work of the church. The last
Sunday in February all greatly en
joyed a visit of Rev. Edward Lane,
who is now working in the interests
of our Committee on Christian Edu
cation and Ministerial Relief. His
work is to talk with all students who
are facing their life work and en
deavor to aid them in choosing some
form of definite Christian service.
Two messages were delivered, both of
which were timely and full of inter
est. The students of the college are
greatly interested in the Bible classes
of the Sunday school. These classes
are taught by Dr. J. D. Eggleston and
Rev. J. B. Massey. Only students at
tend them. A splendid work is being
done, and the parents of our young
men may well rejoice in the opportu
nity their sons are having because of
the excellent work of these strong
teachers of the Bible. Mr. Sherwood
Day, a representative of the Y. M. C.
A.f also paid the students a visit re
cently. He came mainly for holding
personal conferences with the men for
the purpose of aiding them to live
more definite Christian lives. His visit
was one of unusual pleasure and
Lexington : At its November meet
ing, as has been previously reported,
the session of this church decided to
ask the congregation to give $1,000
to Foreign Missions, over and above
their regular contributions. Special
envelopes were used for this purpose,
and Sunday night, March 7th, was the
last time at which they were to be
used. The total outcome of these col
lections amounts to $1,3 60. Sunday
afternoon, February 29th, Dr. J. M.
Tibbetts, campaign manager of the
National Reform Association of Pitts
burgh, delivered in our church an ad
dress on "The Mormon Temple Se
crets." This was for men exclusively.
At night he spoke to a general audi
ence on Mormonism as "America's
Rustburg and New Concord: Re
cently two of the elders of the Rust
burg church gave the church a nice
individual communion service, and it
was used for the first time at our
last communion there. Mr. and Mrs.
Henry Nowlin, of Lynchburg, have
presented a nice individual commu
nion service to the country church of
which he was formerly a member, and
also to New Concord church, of which
Mrs. Nowlin was formerly a member.
These two churches are always care
ful to see after the comfort and well
being of the pastor and his family.
The Rustburg church remembered
their pastor at Christmas with a purse,
and some of the good people of New
Concord did the same and filled the
manse ice-house with ice.
L'px-McHhc Institute, at Banner
Elk, N. C., under the management of
Rev. Edgar Tufts, is trying to raise
money for some much needed perma
nent buildings. Two liberal friends
have agreed to give for a North Caro
lina building one dollar for every dol
lar raised up to $2,000. The Assem
bly's Home Mission Committee haa
agreed to add 10 per cent, to any
amount the school may raise for build
ing purposes. This school is doing a
great work for the girls of the moun
tains. More than 1,000 girls have
been educated there and thousands
more can be reached, if proper build
ings and equipment are provided.
Menu: The Rev. W. Moore Scott,
D. D., Superintendent of Home Mis
sions and Evangelism for the Synod
the pastor, Rev. T. A. Park, during
February in the Presbyterian church
of Mena. There was splendid attend
ance and a good interest all the way
through. There were nine additions
to the Presbyterian church, with a
prospect of four or five others coming
in soon, and five expressed desire to
unite with other denominations. Af
ter paying for all lwal expenses they
gave $117.68 for Synodical Home Mis
sions. Dr. Scott will conduct evan
gelistic services at Dardanelle the first
half of March and at Warren the last
half. At the last meeting he will be
assisted by the Synodical singing
evangelist, the Rev. Charles A. Har
Garland City: The Rev. Thomas H.
Watkins, Synodical evangelist, assist
ed the Rev. J. W. McNutt in evan
gelistic services with this church dur
ing the month of February. Mr. Mc
Nutt has been preaching here once a
month, and previous to his coming
last September there had been but
little preaching for more than a year.
The meeting was a wonderful success,
the little church and community were
greatly revived, twenty-eight made
profession of faith in Christ, fourteen
were added to the Presbyterian church
on profession, and $22.02 given to
Synodical Home Missions.
Minutes of the Synixl of Georgia,
sessions of 1019, were mailed out the
middle of January, being delayed on
the press by labor complications. The
Presbyterian Historical Society, Phil
adelphia, requests for their file the
following issues of the printed min
utes: "All before 1847, also 1849,
1851, 1855, 1860, 1861, 1863-'94 in
clusive, 1896-1907." If the reader
has one or more of the foregoing,
will you please send the same to J. W.
Stokes, Fort Valley, Ga.
Atlanta: At the Druid Hills Pres
byterian church the first Sunday in
February, Mr. F. W. Perkins, Judge
J. A. Sibley and Lucian L. Knight,
EL. D., were duly installed as Ruling
Elders. Mr. C. P. Phillips recently
gave the pastor. Rev. D. M. Mclver,
a Maxwell touring car.
Deacons' Conference: The annual
Conference of the Deacons of West
Lexington Presbytery met in the Nich
olasville church Friday, March 5 th, at
7 P. M. There were present a total
of sixty-one pastors, elders and dea
cons, representing more than 50 per
cent, of the churches of the Presby
tery, which is by far the largest nnd
most representative attendance in the
three years' history of tha "Deacons
Union" and resulting in a most pleas
ing and enthusiastic program.
The spacious dining-room of this
beautiful church was arranged for the
occasion by the ladies of the congre
gation, who served the gathering with
one of those repasts for which Nich
olasville is famous, and the program
was carried out while the representa
tives were seated around the tables.
The meeting was opened with
prayer by Mr. D. T. Brandenburg, a
deacon of Maxwell Street church, Lex
ington; presided over by Mr. Penn, a
deacon of the Georgetown church, and
addressed by a large number of dea
cons prosent from all over the Pres
Dr. A. J. A. Alexander, chairman
of the Progressive Campaign for the
Presbytery, presented the seven ob
jectives in such a way as to give the
deacons a closer and more intimate
conception of this great work.
Mr. William Yent, of Maxwell
Street church, spoke of the "business
side" of the work of the deacons, and
was ably followed by Mr. Hugh L.
Nevin, a deacon of one of the Louis
ville churches, who made a masterful
talk on the duties and opportunities
of deacons, which was followed by
round table discussions conducted by
Judge W. S. Berry, a deacon of the
Versailles church, bringing out many
suggestions worth while.
The Rev. W. H. Hopper, D. D., and
the Rev. A. A. Higgins, D. D., of the
Louisville Presbytery, were guests of
honor, and added much to the plea
sure of the occasion by their enthu
siastic and pointed addresses.
To those Presbyteries which have
not organized a "Deacons' Union," wc
recommend the plan. Deacons do not
have the vision of our Church as do
the elders who attend the meetings
of the Presbyteries. Being the "bus
iness end" of the congregation, the
deacons need to come together for the
exchanging of plans and ideas. Or,
to put it in modern ideas, to learn
the "up-to-date" lessons of "sales
manship." if our Progressive Cam
paign is to be a success, and our
Church is to assume an enviable
place in the religious development of
the world, it is time that our entire
working force were developing the
principles of salesmanship, taking, as
it were, a leaf from the plans of "big
business" which has found it profit
able to conduct regular "schools of
salesmanship" among their employees.
Our pastors, our elders and our dea
cons all need to learn the "psychol
ogy" of our work as we approach the
task of reaching out after our "ob
jectives," thus adding to the efficiency
of prayer. And after all, is there
any big business" to be compared
It is a pleasure for the writer to
report this meeting for the informa
tion of our whole Church, and to
point with pride to the fact that
through good business principles,
West Lexington Presbytery has met
her allotment in each of the preced
ing drives," and hopes to come out
on top this year, even with an in
creased allotment of nearly 50 per
J. Tyler Davis.
Louisville Presbytery; An adjourned
meeting of this Presbytery was held
at Louisville, Ky., March 8th. The
following pastoral relations were dis
solved: Rev. P. a. Clark and the
Anchorage church, Rev. J. R. Benika
and the South Louisville church, Rev.
W. A. Ramsey and the Beulah church.
Rev. F. A. Clark will accept work
with the Christian Education Commit
tee. Rev. J. R. Benika will take .1
year's leave of absence from ministe
rial work on account of ill healtl.
Rev. W. A. Ramsey has accepted a
call to the Paint Lick Presbyterian
fhurch, so was dismissed to the Pres
bytery of Transylvania. Rev. W. H.
Armistead was dismissed to the Pres
bytery of Louisville, U. S. A., that he
may accept the call to the First Pres
byterian church of Owensboro. Rev.
W. R. Anderson offered his resigna
tion as pastor of the Shelbyville
church that he may accept the call
to the church of Hope, Ark., but ac
tion was deferred till an adjourned
meeting to be held March 22d. Rev
E. W. Newland confessed to immoral
conduct and was deposed from the
ministry and suspended from the sac
xml | txt