Newspaper Page Text
church last Sunday. On Wednesday
evening, March 2?.d, the officers of the church presented to Mr. Thomas B. Talbot, who has arranged for some months the supplies for the pulpit, and has had personal charge of the Wednesday evening services, resolu t:oris of high appreciation of this ser vice. and accompanied them with a check for $50 as a token of apprecia tion and esteem. M. Carlisle: Hev. B. B. Hestir, ot' Grayson, Ky., has been called to the church at Carlisle. Troy Church: The Every-Member Canvass for Troy church was made Sunday afternoon, March 20 th, by fouv teams of men, largely the offi cers. The canvass was almost com pleted in that afternoon, but will be completed in full at once. The total budget for current ex penses and benevolences for the com ing year was $2,500, and in the can vass $2,4 75 of this was pledged, and the canvass is not quita complete. In addition to this, the Auxiliary and the Aid have given this present year more than $400, and so with their gifts of the coming year, Troy will have over-subscribed her budget. In addition to this, during the last two years many members and other con tributors to the church have given considerable sums on our now Sunday school rooms, which will cost about $10,000. We hope to be in them by May 1st. This church has begun the use of the Duplex envelope system of giving by the week. Mississippi. Gulf port : At the spring communion service the pastor. Dr. C. S. Newman, announced the names of thirteen new members recoived since the last com munion. There were five adult and four infant baptisms. The Every Member Canvass has been completed with enlarged success. In the after noon the choir gave an unusually fine special muslcale* The day was a fine one, and the congregation begins the new year with the special emphasis laid upon personal evangelism. MISSOURI. Ijafnyette Presbytery will meet in the First Presbyterian cliurch of Mar shall on April 12, 1921, at 7:30 P. M. Roht. Tj. Cowan, S. C. St. Ijouis Presbytery held a pro re nata meeting on March 29th, and Rev. C. G. Gunn was dismissed to the Presbytery of Enoree, and Rev. H. L. Sneed was received from the Presby tery of Wilmington. Walter M. Langtry, S. C. Missouri Workers' Conference: On account of the date for the closing of some of the schools, from which we hope to draw a large part of the younger delegation to our conference, wo have found it necessary to change the dates for the conference from June 10th-17th to June 17th-27th. NORTH CAROLINA. Davidson College church comes across again with its Every-Member Canvass, subscribing the $4,800 asked for benevolences, and is no less up to standard for current expenses. The church, during the past year, gave be tween $9,000 and) $10,000 to all causes. The resident membership is about 270, though the enrollment is about 3f>0. Salisbury, First. Church: This church has made progress during the year which closed March 31st. One hundred new members were received, and there has been a marked increase in the size of the congregations. More men than women attend the services. There is a live Young People's 80 cietv. Family worship is observed in one-third of our homes. A church paper is taken in 69 per cent, of our families. Byron Clark, D. D., is min ister. TEXNE8SEE. Xaslixillr, First Church: At the Easter service eighty-eight new mem bers were welcomed into the fellow ship ot the church. Fifty-two of these were received on confession of faith. The communion will be observed on the second Sunday in April. TEXAS. Mexican Missions: The advance Held Mexican missionary work in Texas, embracing Central and Northern Texas, has just added two more churches to its number. The Mexi can Presbyterian church of Ben Ar nold, Milam County, organized Sun day, March 13th, with two elders and two deacons and sixteen members, and the San Gabriel Mexican Presby terian church, fourteen miles from Taylor, and nine miles from Granger, with twenty-eight members, two elders and two deacons. The Ben Ar nold church is an outgrowth of i branch Sunday school of the Waco Mexican Presbyterian church, which had been in existence less than a year; and the San Gabriel church is a development of a branch Sunday school of the Taylor Mexican church, which has been running for about three years. Each church has a wide field and brightest hopes for growth. This makes seven organized churches in the advance field, and it has also fourteen Sunday schools, seven of which are branch schools. Of these branch Sunday schools three will be organized into churches, D. V., be fore the 5th of next July, when the Taylor Mexican church will celebratc its seventh anniversary. In seven years the work in this new field will have grown from one to ten Mexican Presbyterian churches with a mem bership of 500 and fifteen Sunday schools with an enrollment of over 400. The work will have been done by one evangelist for four years and two evangelists for three years. The two evangelists now caring for this big field are Rev. A. R. Penn and the writer. The Wichita Falls and Bethel churches are both 250 miles from the Taylor church. After the 1st of next October one of the evan gelists will be entirely supported by the ten Mexican churches. Watch us grow. Help us grow by your prayers and your gifts. Walter S. Scott. WEST VIRGINIA. Putney Memorial Church: This church has just enjoyed a series of special services conducted by Rev. L. R. Simpson, pastor of the Liberty church, Nitro. The gospel was faith fully presented each night for two weeks, and the church has been strengthened. Two were added to the church on profession of faith during the meeting, and another has signi fied her intention of coming in since. There are others who have shown in terest and will be gathered in later. Mr. Simpson's singing was an especial feature of the services. VACATION PLANS FOR CHURCH WORKERS. R. E. Magill, Sec. Following a plan which has brought cheer to the heart, rest to the body, and stimulus to mind and spirit, we hope to make a vacation at one of the summer Assembly points possible for a large group of our underpaid and over-tired church workers during the summer of 1921. Last year about two hundred were given brief outings at Montreat, N. C., Kerrviile, Tex., and Davis, Okla. Words were inadequate to express the gratitude of these friends. They went back to their fields heartened by the fact that some one appreci ates their devoted and self-sacrificing labors, and with minds and hearts quickened by contact with fellow workers and the inspiring programs they were privileged to enjoy. An investment in this vacation fund yields big dividends in increased ef ficiency on the part of the guests of tho fund, and at least four hundred should be provided for next season Ten dollars will provide a week's en tertainment and every guest should have at least two weeks' rest. Geneva Hall, at Montreat, N. C., will be open for these friends after Juno 20th, and Dr. Chester, of the Foreign Mission Committee, will be the host for the season. All requests for room reservations should be sent to Dr. S. H. Chester, Rox 330, Nash ville, Tenn. All who wish to share in the joy of putting a "bright spot" into tho lives of our devoted church workers should send checks or subscriptions payable on or before July 1st, to R. E. Magill, Treasurer. Box 1176, Rich mond. Va. "THE .1AM KS Dl'RYKK STEVEXSOX SCHOLARSHIP" IN THK STl' DEXT LOAN FI XI). Rev. J. Leigh ton Green. James Duryee Stevenson was born in Hackensack, N. J., August 2">, 1842. June 5, 1858, he united witii the First Presbyterian church of Mor ristown, N. J., on profession of his faith in Jesus Christ, and in 1870 was mnde an elder in that church, where both his father and grandfath er had served for many years. In 1878 Mr. Stevenson moved to San Antonio, Tex., and became an elder in the First Presbyterian church of that city. March 1, 1885, the pas tor of the First church called a joint meeting of the elders and deacons to plan for the establishment of a mis sion Sabbath school in the old Fourth Ward. On March 4th the session ap pointed a committee, of which Mr. Stevenson was chairman, to find a location, rent the house, and raise the funds for such a mission. On Sunday, March 29th, the school was begun, and it was kept up regularly until April 16, 1889, when a commis sion of Western Texas Presbytery or ganized the Westminster Presbyterian church. Mr. Stevenson was made the ruling elder of the new organization, and he served with faithfulness until his death on August 29, 1919. The Westminster church feels that the success of this work is due to the earnest effort and faithful service of Mr. James Duryee Stevenson, and as a token of appreciation of what he, under the leadership of the Spirit of God. has made possible for us, we establish "The James Duryee Steven son Memorial Scholarship" in the Stu dent Loan Fund. Mr. Stevenson was never married, hence no family remains to continue his work, but his heart and life was in the Westminster church and the burden of his prayer was that God would raise up and send forth from this church some .of the young men and women whom he loved as his own, to preach and teach the Word of God. This memorial therefore is established to perpetuate the work of our brother that many might rise up and call him blessed. San Antonio, Tex. MONTREAT. By Rev. R. C. Anderson, President. Excellent progress Is being made in the construction of the new audi torium. The building, when complete, will accommodate about forty-five hundred or five thousand in the main auditorium, and in addition to this there will be twelve large committee rooms and a chapel, which will seat about two hundred or two hundred and fifty people. In addition to this, there will be a large basement room for the furnace for the purpose of heating the entire building. The whole structure will be built of steel, stone, cement, hollow tile and glass excepting the room, which rests upon a structural steel support. We be lieve this building will be the best of its kind in the South when fin ished. The building is being erected with out a contractor, under the super vision of an excellent local carpenter and an excellent local stone mason; the whole is being done by local men without any assistance from the out side excepting our architect, who re sides in Asheville. Great pains have been taken in the purchase of all materials and in the employment of all labor. In this way cost has been kept down to the lowest margin, and it is evident that we will get the best results at the least cost. The structure is something more than half finished, and if all sub scribers and the churches will send In promptly the amounts subscribed so that the work may not be delayed, we estimate the building will be far on towards completion by the first of July. As to the hotels, it has not seemed wiso to the Managing Committee to attempt to add any additional rooms or to undertake the building of a new hotel this year, but to make cer tain internal improvements, especial ly in the better equipping of the kitchens, in the hotels which we now have. This work is being planned, but the extent to which improvements will be made is not fully determined, and wo are not ready to make a defi nite statement in regard to this. Improvements have been made on the roads, water and light lines have been extended and other minor im provements have been added. The season promises to be a full and long one. The first conference, that of the Y. W. C. A., opens June 3d, and the last conference, definite ly arranged for, closes August 25th, and we hope other conferences can be arranged extending the season into September. . Our greatest need is more room. Lot owners, if possible, should build their own cottages, and the Associa tion should have a number of cot tages for rent for families which can not conveniently stop at the hotels. Our hydro-electric plant should be en larged to meet the growing demand for electricity for lighting and domes tic purposes. The Montreat Normal School, un der the Immediate direction of Mr. John P. Williams, superintendent, and an excellent faculty, has made fine progress and made good use of the Montreat Hotel and grounds during the winter months. This school has an enrollment of sixty-four students, and we have room, by using the Alba Hotel, for three hundred more, which room we believe will be fully occu pied as soon as the eight controlling Synods fully understand the nature of this work and the unequal opportu nity It affords for Christian education. R. C. Anderson, Presidnt.