Newspaper Page Text
IMMANUEL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
OF WILMINGTON, N. C. By Rev. John M. Wells, D. D. Sunday, February 12th, marked another step in Presbyterianism in Wilmington, N. C. There was dedi cated on that day the magnificent new house of worship for the con gregation of Immanuel Presbyterian church. Every one of the four Pres byterian churches of that city now has a modern and commodious church plant, and these buildings are of rare architectural beauty. The new build ing of brick and slate is in architec ture of the Georgian period. The spire is almost a complete replica of that of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, Lon don, which is regarded by many as the most graceful spire ever designed by Sir Christopher Wren. The interior of the auditorium is most attractive, with white walls, and old ivory woodwork with mahogany trimmings. Two very graceful pillars, rising from floor to ceiling, sustain the gallery. The seating capacity of this auditorium is 500. The Sunday school building at tached to the church, while attrac tive in appearance, is complete in every detail, providing for the seve ral departments by separate rooms with most approved equipment. The first floor of this building contains the assembly room of the senior de partment with class-rooms, and has a seating capacity of 200; the rooms for the beginners' and primary de partments; the session room and an office for the secretary of the Sunday school. The second floor has rooms for the junior and intermediate departments. Accordion doors between these two rooms permit them to be thrown into a large banquet hall. There is also on this floor a kitchen, a ladies' par lor and club-rooms for boys and girls. The organ is rich in tone, artistic in appearance and complete in every detail. This church cost, with all furni ture complete, $125,000. It is large ly the gift of that prince of givers. Dr. James Sprunt. The congregation, which was but recently a mission, raised $5,200 for the purchase of the lot, and placed the value of the old church buildings, which is estimated at $20,000, towards the building of the new church. All the rest of the What Is a Living Trust? It is a written agree ment by which you set aside a portion of your property to provide an income for yourself, a relative or other bene ficiary. Under the terms of the agreement you can have this Bank take over the responsibility for a part of your prop erty and pay the in come as you direct. The right can l?e reserved to revoke or change the agreement at any time. Ask our officers to explain a Living Trust. First National Rank of Richmond, Va. (Trust Department) Capital . . . $2, 000, 000.0# Raaourcaa $43,000,000.00 Established 1864 cost was tho generous gift of Dr. Sprunt. At the same time he erect ed for the congregation a handsome new manse, adjoining the church. It is of the same type of architecture as the church, and harmonizes per fectly with it. The cost of the brick manse, completely furnished, was about $25,000. The dedication services held on the 12th were in every way successful. The dedication sermon was preached by Dr. Walter L. Lingle, of Union Theological Seminary. Dr. Lingle is an uncle of Mrs. Caldwell, the wife of the pastor of Immanuel church. His text was Matt. 16:18, and hit. sermon was strong, clear and highly enjoyed. The dedication prayer was nu?de by Dr. John M. Wells, of Co lumbia Theological Seminary. The new edifice was presented to culminating in the rarely completo and handsome church building, is one of the most striking chapters in the story of the growth and development of Presbyterianism in Wilmington. In twenty years this city and county have grown 58 per cent., while Pres byterianism in the same length of time has grown over 4 00 per cent. On March 1, 1S58, a house was erected on Wooster Street, between Fifth and Sixth Streets, on a lot do nated by Mr. John A. Taylor and a Sunday school organized by the First Presbyterian church. The Civil War interrupted this work, and it was dis continued until November 19, 1867, when a new house was built to take the place of the one destroyed dur ing the war. Again the work was sus pended in 1871. About 1884 the Sunday school was again organized by some young ladies of the Ladies' Missionary Society, the meetings being held in some rented rooms near the old location. In the si * . v'; Ininianuel Church, Wilmington, X. C the congregation of Immanuel church in behalf of Dr. Sprunt by Dr.- Pey ton H. Hoge, a former pastor of the First Presbyterian church, under whose pastorate the mission out of which Immanuel church grew was be gun. Dr. Hoge made a most grace ful speech of presentation, which was responded to with equal grace by Rev. D. T. Caldwell, who as pastor ac cepted the gift in behalf of the con gregation. Feeling words touching the gift and the giver were also spoken by Dr. \V. D. Moss, pastor of the Chapel Hill Presbyterian church. The services were continued at the evening hour. Dr. Hoge spoke of "The Beginnings of Immanuel Church." Dr. Wells spoke on ' The Achieve ments of Immanuel Church," and Dr. I?ingle spoke on "The Future Task of Immanuel Church." At both ser vices the church was crowded to Its utmost capacity, and large numbers were turned away. The choir of Immanuel church was aided at the night service by the won derful quartette of the First church, and the music at both services was very fine. The growth of Immanuel church, summer of 1886 the lot on Wooster Street was exchanged for the lot on Front Street, and a small house was erected for mission purposes, the ses sion taking charge of the work and relieving the Ladies* Missionary So ciety of the expense for its support. January 1, 1888, Mr. J. M. W. Elder entered on his labors as a lay mis sionary in this field. Rev. W. McC. Miller became mission pastor of the work January 1, 1889. In 1890 the old church building was erected and a church organized un der the name of lmmanuel chapel. The dedication service was held Feb ruary 1, 1891. Mr. Miller gave up the work in 1893. The work con tinued, being supported by the First church. The following men served this church, the most of them as stated supply: Rev. George H. Cor nelson. Rev. B. E. Wallace, Rev. P. C. Morton, Rev. E. E. Lane, Rev. J. C. Storey and Rev. C. W. Trawick. In 1904 Rev. J. 8. Crowley came as stated supply. For twelve years he served the church faithfully and well. He was laying that foundation that was strong for future building. Dur ing his pastorate there were 36? members added on profession and 116 by letter. The gifts to benevo lences during those years amounted to $2,842, and to current expenses and pastor's salary, $7,107. Mr. Crowley accepted another call in 1916. During that summer Rev. D. T. Caldwell, of Union Seminary, sup plied the church. That fall Rev. T. P. Allen, of West Virginia, came as pastor. Mr. Allen thoroughly organ ized the church, but soon accepted a call to the First church, Rocky Mount. On June 1, 1918, Rev. I). T. Cald well began his labors as part-time pastor, and continued until Septem ber, 1918, when he was called for his full time. This being the first time that this church was able to suc cessfully support its own pastor. The church has grown under his ministry. Mr. Caldwell put the responsibility for the success of the work on thH people themselves. The people ac cepted the responsibility and rose to the occasion. They have rallied to the task and done splendid work. There has been fine development along the line of family religion. To day more than thirty families of the church have family worship. Ther*s has been marked growth in the grace of giving. From $2,600 the first year of the pastorate to $4,200 the next; then to $5,700, and this year the gifts will amount to about $11,000. This increase has largely come through the increase in tithers in the ??hutch. There are now more than seventy-five that follow this rule in their giving. The Sunday school has been thor oughly organized. From getting all its teachers from the First church, it has come to the place where all but one of its teachers come from its own church. The Woman's Auxil iary. organized by Mrs. Caldwell, is also doing a fine work. There lias been a healthy growth in the membership of the church. One hundred and fifty-four have been added to the church, and the mem bership is now 365. And betfTof all, the officers are learning to be soul w'nners, and to aid the pastor in this great work. So to day Immanuel is no longer a mission leaning on others; but a strong, self-reliant church taking its place in the religious life of the city and doing its part in all it is cnllcd upon to do. Some time ago it became clear that a larger building was essentia! to the work of this rapidly growing congre gation. So they decided to build a new church just as soon as they could raise the funds. It was then that Ruling Elder James Sprunt, of the First Presbyterian church, seeing their need and recognizing that it would be years before the congrega tion could raise the necessary funds, undertook the generous task that cul minated on February 12th in the ded ication to the glory of God, and for His worship, of the magnificent church edifice. This is the fifth church erected by Dr. Sprunt. Surely our Church has n<*Ver had a nobler benefactor. Which is better, to spend Sunday in business or pleasure or idleness, or to spend it in God's way, in wor shipping Him and feeding the bou! with life-giving food? If God wantR you to do anything, you dare not refuse. If God does not want you to do it, you dare not do it. Which is better, to go automobile ridlng^Sunday afternoon or to go to church Sunday evening'