Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR
Newspaper Page Text
ST. HELENS MIST, FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 1919
f Jl . ... I Li) ATTRACTIVE HOME OF J. M. BUNT This modern bungalow is on Franklin street in Railroad Addition and is the property of J. M. Bunt. Mr. Bunt is employed at the St. Helens Lumber Company's mill and operates the bandsaw. His faith in St. Helens is demon strated by the fact that he has made a substantial invest ment in a home here. V :.;M.V - ,$S4 t...?,..:.-.rt-...i ... r, vr. .rl RESIDENCE OF MRS. JOHN CONFERS This attractive bungalow is one of the 20 houses built "n "Bungalow Park. It is occupied by Mrs. John Confers md family. They moved to St. Helens almost a year ago, coming from Rainier. The cottage is modern in every respect, has electric lights, sewerage and is situated on a desirable lot. It is quite an addition to "Bunealow Park." RESIDENCE OF E. C. GOING Less than a year ago, Mr. E. G. Going and family left their old home in Kansas and came to St. Helens. Mr. Going, after securing employment at the mill, began to look around for a good place to build a home. He select ed "Bungalow Park" and made arrangements with the mill company to build for him a home. He and family ' are now comfortably settled in their own home which is modern in every respect and instead of payine the land lord a monthly rental, he is paying himseU and applying the amount toward paying for his qwn home. Newcomers Show Their Faith in Future of the City During the pas! year, there has ' much building activity in St. Helens, more especially, home building, and not lesr. than 50 new home-; have been erected. Practi cally all of them are of the mod ern bungalow type. When shipbuilding war. in full swing and hundreds of people were flocking to St. Helens, thert was a dearth of houses and rooms, and the problem of accommodat ing those who wished to become residents of the city was a serious one. The St. Helens Lumber Co... pany and the St. Helens Ship building Company, however, came to the rescue and built a numbt. of modern bungalows which were sold to the newcomers at prices just a fraction above cost. Quite a number of these houser. were built in the Railroad Addition sec tion of the city, but the greaterl iiuuiuci were uuui in wnai. is now called "Bungalow Park," which is that section on Winter street south of the old school building. The companies mentioned buih 25 houses, costing from $1365 to S2425 and their total investment was in the neighborhood oi $45, 000. This figure, included the pur chase price of the lots. After the completion of the houses, sewers, electric lights and other modern and necessary con veniences were installed, and peti tions are now before the council asking for the improvement of the streets on which the buildings are located. The companies building these houses were able to construct them for a much less sum than if contracts had been awarded. . By hiring a competent superintendent whose duty it was to look after all of the work, the contractor's teo or commission on each house, was eliminated, and by buying material in large quantities, a low price was obtained, so that when the pur chasers made applications for their deeds, or contracts, in many in stances it was found that the price of the house and, lot wan far be low the anticipated or building cost. The building of the houses has added to the taxable wraith of the city, and, in addition, riven an im petus to the "build vour own home" plan, and it ir. expected that many who now reside in the city and are paying their monthly rent to the landlord, will follow the example of the 25 who have recently bought their own homes. Thin In the flrwt of nerli-8 of three rtirltvt which will dhow the recent growth of Ht. Helens. The cost of pre paring articlca and furnlNhlng cuta in being borne by the St. Helena Lumber Company and the 81. Helena Hhlplmild Ing Company. 1 . :: fit RESIDENCE OF W. E. MAYVELLE This attractive home is in Railroad Addition and was recently purchased by W. E. Mayvelle, a former resident of Carrolls, Washington. Mr. Mayvelle and family moved to Sf. Helens about a year, ago and he is sure he located in the right place. He likes St. Helens and expects to make his permanent residence here. l(MMWl 'y w .... - . m Jrra..ll , u ifiHi 1 1 MX T 'V RESIDENCE OF THOMAS DEW Coming to St. Helens a few months ago from his formei home in Central, Oregon, Mr. Dew thought St. Helena was the proper place to locate and therefore invested in the neat and modern bungalow shown in the above pic ture. It is in Railroad Addition and on a sightly lot. Mr. Dew is a man of family and they are welcome additions to the social life of St. Helens. NX. -si? 1M RESIDENCE OF GUS FREDERICKSEN Gus Fredericksen. when he moved from Linnton to St. Helens, was not long in making up his mind to own hb own heme in the thriving town in which he is in busine, therefore he bought the attractive bungalow shown above. Mr. Fredericksen is a member of the firm of Roy & Fred ericksen and has unbounded faith in St. Helens. Inciden tally, he .believes every citizen who intends to make a permanent residence in St. Helens, should own a home. Consequently, he is the owner of this nice bungalow which is in ''Bungalow Park."