Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: South Dakota State Historical Society – State Archives
Newspaper Page Text
14. THE OGLALA LIGHT.
BOARDING SCHOOL NEWS ITEMS Rev. Dr. Evans of Huron, S. D* adressed the pupils Tuesday evening April 27th. Mr. A. M. Landman delivered the address in our auditorium, Sunday evening, April 18th. Mr. John Green arrived April 22nd and immediately enter upon his duties as Carpenter. The Stork visited the school, Sat urday, the 24th, and left a baby girl at Engineer Molzahn's house. Miss Julia Montileau, who had been temporarily acting as Laun dress, has gone to Buffalo Gap, S, 0. Mrs. Mary LaDeaux resigned as assistant seamstress, Apil 1st, and Miss Alice Salvois took her position. Mrs. Fannie F. Ghates of Omaha, Neb, arrived Saturday, April 24th and entered upon her duties as laun dress. Mr. Frank G. Wilson was away from the school for a few days look ing out for his allottment on the Reservation. Mr. and Mrs. LeRoy Carr have been transferred to the positions, respectively, of carpenter and teach er at Carson, Nev. Mrs. John Black Hawk of Santee has been reinstated in the Service and reported for duty as assistant matron, April 16th. 'Mrs. Clarence Sears, resigned as assistant cook and went to Merriman Neb, and Miss Edith Stover is now acting in that position. Six of our "Show" Indians went to Oklahoma the other day to join Wiederman's Wild West Show. They will be gone six months. Among the visitors during the month were the Rev. J. Rock wood Jekins and Mr. Lucas of Chadron, Neb. and the Rev. Mr. Clark and wife, and his Brother and wife of Gordon, Neb, Mr. G. B. Bard of the Forrestry Service has been travelling over the Reservation in reference to the set ting aside of new timber land for forest reserve. Mrs. Mary F. Duncan will have a class at the Institute instead of Mr. Snyder as published in the program in this issue. The main feature of her class exercise will be along the line of kindergarten work and phonics. Mr. Frank Menz, shoe and harness maker, resigned April 1st to go on his allotment on Standing Rock Reservation, and Mr. Frank Mott is temporarily employed in that po sition. Supervisor Robert M. Pringle, after a stay of two weeks, left April 16th. Col. Pringle reported on our need, etc., for a gymnasium, and we were very sorry "to see him leave, but trust he will be back again some time this summer. Capt. Worth G. Ross, Comman dant and Chief of the Revenue Cut ter Service, and a brother of Dr. Ross, was a visitor at the school for one night. Dr. Ross met the Captain At Crawford and drove him to the fchool, 65 miles, and the next day took him back to Chadron, where he took the train for Crawford. From which place Capt. Ross took the Burlington Route to Washinton, D. C, his headquarter*.