Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: South Dakota State Historical Society – State Archives
Newspaper Page Text
v.. Deputy U. S. Marshal, Mr. Lee B. Brooks, of Dead wood, S. D. was in the Agency on the 13th instant and ar rested William Provo, who was in dicted by the Federal grand jury for stealing a wagon, property of William Babby. Emery Amiotte of Bennett County, South Dakota, was in the Agency on the 22nd instant to receive 3 horses that were stolen on Sptember 10, 1917 and recovered by the reservation offi cers. Two of the horses belonged to Emery and one to Clyde Childers, les see of the John Monroe allotment in Bennett County. Aloysius Monroe, has confessed the larceny of these horses. Some nights ago one of the promin ent residents of the reservation was seen coming out of the agency grounds at a late hour and at about the same time the old flagpole fell. We do not know if there was any connection between these events or not. How ever advantage was taken of the de struction of the old pole to erect one of steel which towers 84 feet in the air and which should last as long as the agency is maintained. On September 1916, about 20 head of horses were stolen from Charles, Cuny an Indian living north of White River in Washington, County. The horses were located last spring, near Oelrichs, S. D. and recovered for Mr. Cuny by Mr. Rosecrans and officers co-operating with him. We are now advised that E. G. Fowler of Oelrichs S. D. was arrested on the 12th instant for conspiracy in stealing this bunch of horses. (general Sgettcp Stems 23. On the 3rd instant occurred the fun eral of J. W. M. Kiger who had been ilia short time, having returned from Omaha on the 1st. Pine Ridge sus tains a distinct loss in the passing of this prominent business man. R. L. Spalsbury was elected to fill the vacancy in the office of Red Cross treasurer made vacant by the death of Mr. Kiger. E. S. Stewart was elected to the board of directors, to fill the auditing committee. Mr. W. B. Corder of Flemington, W. Va. a brother of J. D. Corder of this place arrived for a visit on the 3rd. This was Mr. Corder's first visit west of the Ohio River and he found many surprising and interesting things a waiting him. On account of the heavy work in cident to turning the agency affairs over to the new Superintendent, Farmer H. E. Wright and Day school Inspector Blish have been assisting with the work of the office. Mr. Henry M. Tidwell, our new superintendent, assumed charge of the agency on December 1st, relieving Special Agent C. L. Ellis at that time Mr. Tidwell comes to this work high ly recommended and by training well prepared for it. Fifteen years has been spent in the service part of it being in the position of Chief Clerk at the Union Agency in Oklahoma. Judg ing from the manner in which he takes hold of affairs we predict a suc cessful administration for him. Mrs. Tidwell and son accompanied him to this place.