Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: South Dakota State Historical Society – State Archives
Newspaper Page Text
Mr. George A. Trotter has received his appointment as Chief Clerk, vice A. M. Landman, resigned. This is a merited promotion. Mrs. Marie B. Stelzner has receiv ed a transfer from the position of Kindergartener at the school to a position of Assistant Lease Clerk at the Agency Office. The District Farmers of the reser vation were called in by the Super intendent for a meeting and con ference on March 7th and 8th. Farm operations, road work and many of the other details of their work was discussed and plans adopted to stand ardize the work of the districts. On February 9th a special meeting of board directors of the local chapter of the Red Cross was held for the purpose of filling vacancies in the force of officers. Mr. Henry M. Tid well was elected Chairman in place of Mr. Ellis who resigned on leaving this agency. The two vacancies on the board of directors were filled by the selection of Mr. Trotter and Mrs. Tidwell. Mr. Trotter was appointed to fill the Executive Committee. It was voted to have the executive com mittee have regular meetings the last Monday of each month for the purpose of auditing bills and carrying on such other business as might come up. The vacancy in the auditing com mittie left by Mr. Demaree was filled by the appointment of Rev. Joyner. Mr. and Mrs. Brigance were appoint ed to the positions left vacant on the financial committee b^y the departure of Mr. and Landman. Perietal lUgencp Stems: 27. 1 On February 25th the first regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the local chapter of the Red Cross was held in the Superintendent's d fice. A number of bills were voted paid. On March 22, Superintendent Tid well went to Martin to appear before the exmption board for Bennett County on behalf of certain Indians who are claiming exemption under the draft act. All approaches to our city are now posted with notices to the traveling public that the speed limit is ten miles per hour. It is hoped that this will result in the elimination of the wild driving sometimes indulged in. Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Jones arrived from Oklahoma on February 25th. Mr. Jones takes a position in the ac counting division of the local office. They are located in the west side of the brick cottage. The Rev. Neville Joyner was called to the bedside of his son Neville on February 16. The young man re cently underwent an operation for appendicitis but suffered a set back. At this writing (March 25th) he is still too weak to be moved from the hospital. The citizens of our community were given a great treat on March 8 when Miss Barker who was speaking in the interest of the food administra tion gave a talk in the Y. M. A. building on the war situation. Miss Barker is a speaker of exceptional ability and has a first hand know ledge of the things she talks of.