Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: South Dakota State Historical Society – State Archives
Newspaper Page Text
Ctjc d^glala Htgfjt
Issued bi-weekly from the Printing Department of the Ogl&la Indian Training School, during the school year (about ten months). J. W. MUMBLEHEAD, Managing Editor and Instructor. SUBSCRIPTION-FIFTY CENTS PER ANNUM IN ADVANCE. Address all communications to THE OGLALA LIGHT, United States Indian Training School. Pine Ridge, South Dakota. Second-class matter—so *nte»-ed at the post oflice at Pise Ridge. General School News. Mr. Andrew Knife. Assistant Farm er, left Wednesday the 14th, to vi sit with his aged father who is very sick at his home in Porcupine. Miss Irene Dubray. of LaCreek, visited at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Knife for a few days last week. She left for her home, Sun day the 11th. Dr. Culp and wife left Wednesday, the 7th, for Toma, Wisconsin, hav ing completed the work here at the school. Both of them have made many friends and we are sorry they had to leave so soon. The present garage is being re modeld by Mr. Dunbar, the veteran carpenter, and rooms made to fit two good sized cars. The former rooms were too narrow for the ever in creasing popularity of the modern horseless wagons. Miss Hickman entertained at her house a party of young people Tues day evening, the 6th. A fine time was had and every one enjoyed Five Hundred, and oh say, some fine "eats" too. The Doctor and Mrs. Culp were the honor guest. Mrs. Whitney, Domestic Science Teacher, has been detail in the chil dren^ kitchen to do the work of cook ing in the absence of Mrs. Wing who scalded her arm very severely a few days ago. Mrs. Whitney is a thorough cook and can be depended upon to keep the good work going. Page 2 THE OGLALA LIGHT April 15,1920 "Lux Crescit Parti endo." •'*. Twenty-years ago this month, according to the old files, a printing office was established^at this school and had its beginning in the kitchen of the present Re sidence of our veteran engineer. A paper was printed once each month and the first issue was sent out of the office, April 2,1920 under the management of Mr. Frank L. Hubbard, who, by .the way, was the first printer ap pointed at this place. The head ing, 'The Oglala Light", origin ated with Col. Clapp and with-his permission this paper adopted the seal expressing a hope for the paper, that it may indeed be a Light to the many children, and through them, to the older In dians. As time moved on, the office was transferred to the north base ment of the school building and there the Light shone for several years. At about this time, a new printer had been appointed by the name of Mr. Fred E. Smith, a successor to Mr. Hubbard, whose resignation took place at the end of the school year, June 1906. Mr. Smith was then in charge for a short term of three months. Then came Mr. John Lone Dog, who filled the posi tion temporarilly for one year from February 1907 to January 1908. At this point the scene changed and the Light took an upward flight landing on the second floor of the school build ing, now, the present stage in the chapel and had fallen into the hands of a young man, Mr. "Habit is a cable, we weave a thread of it each day and it becomes so strong we cannot break it." Francis Chapman, a veteran printer. Under the able manage ment of Mr. Chapman the little school magazine was much im proved putting on a new cover, a coat of from two to three color scheme. The Light shone brilli antly from the second floor of the Academic Building for six years. In 1913, during the month of March, a young man from the east appeared under instructions to take over the work of printing made vacant by the transfer of Mr. Francis Chapman. It has since being ably managed under the present management of Mr. J. W. Mumblehead and the repu tation of the paper kept up to its highest standard, and much mate rial added to the office. Not being satisfied with the lo cation, the office was again trans ferred and printing materials mov ed to the second floor of the new Industrial Building, where it seemed, we were permanently located. But after awhile, changes had to be made on ac count of the weight of the ma chines and new types which was too much for the second floor to withstand and so we packed up our belongings and moved to the first floor of the same build ing, where, we believe, we have one of the finest home. From this place the Light shines bright er than ever and the little school paper printed twice a month and the publication is one of the livliest and most up-to-date paper in the Indian Service. "What will transpire within the next twenty years time will only tell. "The chains of habit are too small to be felt till they are too strong to be broken."