Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE.
11 monks of Subiaco first settled in Kent. The Benedictine Order in England is numerous, and its houses, whether Abbeys, Priories, Colleges, or Mission stations, are flourishing with good promises of future development, under the blessing of God, and Patronage of the Patriarch of the monks of the Western Church. BUCK PAST ABBEY . A few words in regard to Buckfast Abbey will, no doubt, be of special in terest to the readers of the Advocate; because several of the Fathers working in the Indian Territory came from this place. And Buckfast is indebted, after God, to Rev. Thos. Duperon, present Prior of Sacred Heart Mission, for the return of Hie Benedictine monks, and the restoration of the old abbey. Buckfast is situated in Devonshire, about 60 miles N. E. of Plymouth. The foundation of Buckfast dates back to the tenth century. After a long period of prosperity and beneficence to the country, this abbey was dissolved with 26 other Benedictine houses of the country, in 153S. The monastic build ings, church, and farm, were forthwith sold to Sir Thomas Dennis, and then began the long night of desolation for Our Lady of Buckfast. The lead was at once stripped from the roof and sold, together with the five bells in the tower of the church, as appears from an in ventory made in 1555, and the abbey buildings left to ruin and decay. The suppression of the Devonshire monasteries brought widespread dis tress to the peasantry in their neighbor hood, and when to it was superadded the introduction of the new learning and the abolition of the old religion, tho men of Devon broke out into a fierce rebellion. Under the leadership of Sir Thomas Pomeroy and other bravo men, they flew to arms, and marching on Exeter ton thousand strong, they laid siego to it. Lord Russell marched against the faithful peasants. A battle was fought at Woodbury, and after thirty-f vc days the siege of Exeter was raised. With brutal savagery Lord Russell's army wasted and harried the country round Exeter, and with the butchery of four thousand of the coun try people and the smoke of burning villages the Protestant religion was ushered into South Devon. The long night of solitude and deso lation that now settled down on the abbey of Our Lady of Buckfast seemed destined to be everlasting, but it was not so ordained in tho counsels of God's providence. Three hundred and forty five years were to pass away, and then once more the Adorable Sacrifice was to be offered up within these hallowed precincts by monks of St. Benedict, and the first Mass said there was to be that of the patronage of Our Blessed Lady. In 1880 the religious congregations in France were ruthlessly driven from their peaceful homes by the mercenary servants of an ungrateful and Godless Government. A colony of Benedictines from La' Pierre-qui-Vire landed on the hospitable shores of Ireland under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Thos. Duperon, present Prior of Sacred Heart Mission, Oklahoma Territory. After two years sojourn in Green Erin, Father Thomas availed himself of a good opportunity and purchased the desolate remnants of the old abbey, also the property of Our Lady of Buckfast. On the 20th of October 1S82, the Benedictine colon)' set foot on those grounds, sanctified by the prayers and the virtues of several generations of blessed memory. Very Rev. Thomas Duperon and his monks are greatly indebted to the most paternal welcome- and assistance of Right Rev. 'Wflfcaughan, Bishop of Plymouth. Jirp The work of Restoration was begun at once, and carried on rapidly, thanks to the generous aid received from a com-