Newspaper Page Text
j-'jyt- fr'ffxikfWs,-'1' "" .--' ' nifnTF"
The Indian Advocate. Devoted to the Interests of Indian Missions. Vol. VII. OCTOBER, 1895. No 4. WHrH'uMBBK9IWV'VHHv'"vaHBI,BBia,VKfeBHlESMiK. "K3R 5". 1 - iLr' . 3 C1 k From the discovery of this continent the Church has ever manifested great zeal for the' salvation of the Indians, and the records of the Indian missions form the most glorious pages of her history of America. But never before has she had so many laborers in the field as in our own day. Many of the teaching orders of women have now charge of the schools of the various missions, thus laying the foundations of permanent Christian communities. Here, even more than elsewhere, the school is the nursery of the Church; the latter cannot prosper without the for mer. An illustration will beamisout. Tn the Vicariate Apostolic of the In dian Territory, presided over by His Lordship Mgr. Meerschaerfc, D.D. quern Deus sospitem servet) , there are eleven schools exclusively for the Indians, seven boarding schools and four day schools. In these eleven schools 57G Indian pupils are educated. Four religious orders are engaged in teaching, viz., the Benedictine Fathers, the Sisters of St. Francis, the Sisters of Mercy, and the Sisters of St. Joseph. The schools are located as follows: 1. Anadarko, for the Comanches, Caddoes, Cheyennes, Arapahoes, and Apaches; boys and girls. 2. Hominy Creek, Osage nation; for the Osage boys.