Newspaper Page Text
soo The Indian Advocate.
have assembled there for common prayers every Saturday night and twice every Sunday, even though no priest cdiild visit them for months. Although there is the Phoenix Indian school, a magnifi cently equipped government institution, the Indians were continually clamoring for a Catholic school. Again charity was appealed to to buy the necessary material for a rough school building, and the Indians set to work to raise the walls for a school and a small dwelling for the teachers with four rooms. The foremost benefactress of all the work done is Rev. Mother Drexel. A regular Catholic school has been kept up under the greatest difficulties since February, 1900. The number of pupils kept on increasing, so that at present both the church and the school building are used for school purposes. In the larger building stands the altar. A broad partition separates it from the children during school hours. On Saturday this partition is removed, the desks carried out and the whole is then used as a church. Still it is too small. Pews of any kind are, as yet, too great a luxury. By all means a separate and much larger church should be erected here as soon as possible. The good Indians, praying and hoping that kind benefactors will donate so much as is necessary to buy the lumber, etc., have already begun to make adobes. As a mat ter of course, they work gratis. The number of pupils regularly attending is about 130. Since September, 1901, Sisters of St. Joseph have taken charge of the school. The Indians are elated over this suc cess. Some parents living at a distance of from 20 to 40 miles bring their children and leave them with some friends or relatives for no other reason than that they may enjoy the benefits of a Catholic school. At the same time they hope that their children, returning from school, will be able to teach their aged father and mother something about God and Heaven, for, although almost completely ignorant of our holy