Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE. 4- - "! 5C A Bit of Church History Repeating Itself. X " I mmmmr N Charles Warren Stoddard's graphic delineation of old days in El Dorado (In the Footprints of the Padres 1902), we find these words anent the foundation, in the eighteenth century, of the Spanish Missions in California and their destruc tion some sixty years ago, which take on a pe culiar significance in the light of recent national events: "The Franciscans founded their first mission in California at San Diego in 1769. The Mis sion Dolores was founded on St. Francis' Day, 1776. To found a mission was a serious matter; yet one and twenty missions were in the full tide of success before the good work was abandoned. The friars were the first fathers of the land: they did whatever was done for it and for the people who originally inhabited it. They explored the country lying be tween the coast range and the sea. They set apart large tracts of land for cultivation and for the pasturing of flocks and herds. For a long time Old and New Spain contributed lib erally to what was known as the Pious Fund of California. The fund was managed by the Convent of San Fernando and certain trustees in Mexico, and the proceeds were transmitted from the city of Mexico to the friars in California. "The mission church was started, as a rule, in the center of the mission lands or reservations. The latter comprised several thousand acres of land. With the money furnished by the Pious Fund of California the church was erected, and surrounded by the various buildings occupied by the Fath ers, the retainers, and the employees who had been trained to agriculture and the simple branches of mechanics. The pres bytery, or the rectory, was the chief guest-house in the land.