Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the
National Endowment for the Humanities and the Library of Congress. external link Learn more
Image provided by: Oklahoma Historical Society
Newspaper Page Text
THE INDIAN ADVOCATE
CJIl - ,11
acrebeart gfofcep, fela.
I HE success of the new foundation was now se
cured. New candidates came from Europe and
t.Vif TTniforl Hfafoc anrl in crnfo nf fVio rrwoif.v unrl
., W...W. VWVV.W WV 1.. KV, V VW ,V,V.tV., W
hardships of the new mission, persevered m
their religious vocation.
The Indian school continued to flourish, and in 1880, Fr.
Robot secured a few Benedictine Sisters from New Orleans
to open an Indian school for girls at Sacred Heart. But in
1884 this school was placed in the hands of Sisters of Mer
cy from Illinois. These good sisters have continued their
labors in the Territory arid now direct two fine academies
and a number of parish schools.
The influx of white population necessitated the erection
of a college distinct from the Indian school. This college
was begun under Fr. Robot and has continued ever since.
A charter was afterwards secured from the Oklahoma Le
gislature. Death closed the laborious career of Fr. Robot in 1887.
He was succeeded in the administration of the Prefecture
Apostolic by Fr. Ignatius Jean. 0. S. B., who held that
office until the appointment of the Rt. Rev- Theophile
Meershaert as first Vicar Apostolic, in 1891.
Fr. Robot had entrusted the direction of the religious
community and college to the Very Rev. Thomas Duperou,
0. S. B . Fr. Thomas enlarged the College and Monas
tery and began the erection of a beautiful Gothic church
which was completed and dedicated in 1892
The little community of monks introduced by Fr. Robot
had grown into a large body and in 1896 the Holy See erec
ted Sacred Heart Monastery into an Abbey with Fr. Tho-