The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Automotive news.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Automotive news. [volume] : (Detroit, Mich.) 1938-current
Alternative Titles:
  • Crain automotive news
Place of publication:
Detroit, Mich.
Geographic coverage:
  • Detroit, Wayne, Michigan  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Crain Automotive Group
Dates of publication:
1938-current
Description:
  • Began in June 1938.
Frequency:
Weekly <2007->
Language:
  • English
Subjects:
  • Automobiles--Periodicals.
  • Automobiles.--eclas
  • Automobiles.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00823232
  • Hebdomadaires.--eclas
Notes:
  • At head of title: Crain.
  • Has supplement called: Automotive marketer.
  • One issue a year has title: Market data book.
LCCN:
77618337
OCLC:
1518922
ISSN:
0005-1551
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Automotive news. [volume] March 30, 1940 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Automotive news

The first issue of Automotive Daily News appeared in New York City on August 27, 1925. It is unclear if Bernarr Macfadden, (born Bernard Adolphus McFadden), a successful publisher of several then-popular magazines owned by his Macfadden Publications, or George Slocum, the Detroit-based advertising manager of the new publication, originated the idea of a paper dedicated to the automobile industry. Slocum, who was already publishing the Michigan Farmer, clearly saw the opportunity for such a paper. Whoever deserves credit for the first issue, in 1933 Slocum and a group of investors formed the Slocum Publishing Company, bought the paper from Macfadden Publications, and moved its office to Detroit.

In 1933, Slocum changed the publication frequency from 5 times a week to 2 times a week. Five years later, in June 1938, the paper became a weekly, with the name changing to Automotive News on the June 4, 1938 edition. When the paper moved to Detroit in 1933 circulation was 5,000. At the beginning of World War II circulation had grown to 12,000. At the close of the war circulation stood at 8,748. After 1942, the paper was the only one exclusively dedicated to documenting the auto industry.

George Slocum died in 1949. His wife, Mabel Slocum, owned the company until 1971, but was not active in the paper's operation. Pete Wemhoff, who had been managing editor of the publication under George Slocum, ran the paper until 1965, holding various titles. Beginning in 1966 and until 1974, Robert M. Finlay was editor.

In 1971, shortly before she died, Mabel Slocum sold the paper to Crain Communications. The publication is considered the newspaper of record for the automotive industry and the community that surrounds it.

Provided by: Central Michigan University, Clark Historical Library