Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About St. Johns review. (Saint Johns, Or.) 1904-current
Saint Johns, Or. (1904-current)
- St. Johns review. : (Saint Johns, Or.) 1904-current
- Alternative Titles:
- Peninsula review
- Saint Johns review
- Place of publication:
- Saint Johns, Or.
- Geographic coverage:
- J.C. Crome
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 11, 1904)-v. 75, no. 16 (Feb. 22, 1979 ; 75th year, issue 17 (Mar. 1, 1979)-
- Biweekly <2015->
- Oregon--Portland--Saint Johns.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01928014
- Portland (Or.)--Newspapers.
- Saint Johns (Portland, Or.)--Newspapers.
- Also issued on microfilm from University of Oregon.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Historic Oregon Newspaper online collection.
- Archived issues are available in digital format as part of the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Latest issue consulted: #6 (Mar. 25, 2016).
- Latest issue consulted: 94th year, issue 15 (May 29, 1998).
- Supplements accompany some issues.
- sn 00063676
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
St. Johns Review
The St. Johns Review is Portland's oldest neighborhood newspaper dating back to 1904, when St. Johns was still a separate municipality. Located on the peninsula formed by the confluence of the Columbia and Willamette rivers, just north of the original Portland city site, "St. Johns on the Willamette" was platted in 1852 by an eccentric hermit named James John. It was the founder's reclusive but kindly reputation, rather than any formal religious affiliation, that was the source of the "Saint" nickname he passed on to the town.
St. Johns grew slowly but steadily over its first several decades. By the turn of the 20th century, there was a thriving downtown business district with shops and restaurants. Electric trolley service arrived in 1903, the same year that the town was officially incorporated. By 1904, when the Portland Woolen Mills relocated to St. Johns, the momentum of civic growth had reached the point where a local newspaper was necessary, especially for the printing of legal notices. The inaugural issue of the St. Johns Review, edited by John C. Crome, came out on November 11, 1904: its front page touted "Remarkable Growth" and proclaimed editorial fealty to "the Interests of the Peninsula, the Manufacturing Center of the Northwest." A competitor, the Peninsula Herald, soon appeared on the scene, but there were only enough local advertisers to support one paper, so the Herald shortly ceded the field. But Crome's tenure as newspaperman would also prove to be short lived: the May 26, 1905 issue of the Review announced that ownership of the paper had passed to the firm of McKeon and Thorndike.
The strongest impetus yet for the growth of St. Johns came with the announcement of a Portland world's fair, to be opened in June of 1905. The "Lewis & Clark Centennial Exposition" was a highly ambitious scheme to promote Portland's economic prospects and attract investments from points east. The lot chosen--in the vicinity of Guild's Lake--bordered on the town of St. Johns. Items published in the St. Johns Review recount how shady land speculation became rampant and local politics--already acrimonious at best--entered into a period of infighting, corruption, and graft. Longstanding debates centered on alcohol prohibition (St. Johns was a "dry" town by local ordinance), the lack of electrical service, and the state of the municipal water supply, which was privately controlled and of questionable quality. A Review editorial also warned residents to be on the lookout for "sneak thieves" who must inevitably descend on their town with the influx of Exposition attendees.
At this time, an annual subscription to the St. Johns Review could be had for one dollar. The paper continued with its strategy of printing legal notices, advertisements, local news items, and any favorable impressions of the town that visitors might offer. A few stories detail the emergence of St. Johns as something of a regional aeronautic center. Large crowds gathered on more than one occasion to view dirigible flights, balloon ascents, and daring parachute stunts.
In a 1915 vote, citizens of St. Johns voted by a margin of 799 to 499 in favor of annexation with the City of Portland. The Review pledged to carry on as a neighborhood paper, adopting the motto: "A community newspaper makes the community better." This philosophy has served the paper remarkably well, as it has continued to be published to the present day.
Provided by: University of Oregon Libraries; Eugene, OR