Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Lincoln County advocate. (Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.]) 1876-1877
Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.] (1876-1877)
- Lincoln County advocate. : (Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.]) 1876-1877
- Place of publication:
- Canton, Dakota Territory, [S.D.]
- Geographic coverage:
- Skinner & Tallman
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1(Apr. 26, 1876)-v. 1, no. 52(May 16, 1877).
- Canton (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- Lincoln County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
- South Dakota--Canton.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01223212
- South Dakota--Lincoln County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215596
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Available on microfilm from: State Archives, South Dakota State Historical Society.
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Lincoln County advocate. April 26, 1876 , Image 1
Lincoln County Advocate and The Canton Advocate
The Lincoln County Advocate was first published in April of 1876 in Canton, Dakota Territory (now South Dakota), as a weekly four-page paper with a Republican affiliation. Lincoln County was created by the Dakota Territory legislature in 1862, and Canton became the county seat shortly thereafter. A wave of Norwegian immigrants settled in the area in the mid-1860s, and by 1880 Canton was accessible by way of the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad. The paper’s motto was “Hew to the Line, Let the Chips Fall Where They May.” It was first edited and published by M. D. Skinner and Silas W. Tallman, who, in the first issue dated April 26, 1876, described why they started the Advocate: “Lincoln County has long felt the want of a first-class county newspaper, devoted to the interests of the entire county, and one that is not run entirely in the interests of any particular locality or set of men; a purely non-partisan weekly newspaper.”
The Lincoln County Advocate published national news, local news from nearby towns such as Deadwood and Yankton, editorials, legal notices, reports from other area newspapers like Iowa’s Sioux City Daily Journal, and literary serials. Because of Canton’s proximity to Minnesota, Iowa, and Nebraska, news items from these states were also a prominent feature. The publishing and editorial staff of the paper changed to Charles A. South and Charles E. Martin with the October 18, 1876 issue. They were replaced in January 1877 by the brothers Arthur L. Carter and George E. Carter, ages 14 and 16, respectively. On May 23, 1877, the newspaper changed its name to the Canton Advocate “for brevity’s sake,” keeping the motto, staff, and affiliation the same. In 1882 a daily supplement was published to coincide with the fair held September 19th through 21st at Canton for the third annual exhibition of the Lincoln County Agricultural Association. In April of 1893, William S. Ingham, son of an Iowa newspaperman, bought the Advocate. About this time, it appears that he began printing a daily edition in addition to the original weekly edition, though the daily edition appears to have only lasted a year or two and no issues are extant.
The Canton Advocate’s main competitor was the Canton Sioux Valley News, which was also Republican-affiliated and began in 1872. The two titles had similar circulation rates; however, the Sioux Valley News continues to be published up to the current day. The last available issue of the Canton Advocate is April 5, 1888, though it appears to have been published until 1897. Other newspapers that served Canton at the end of the 1800s included the Dakota Farmers’ Leader and its succeeding title, the Canton Farmers Leader, which was absorbed by the Sioux Valley News.
Provided by: Minnesota Historical Society; Saint Paul, MN