The Library of Congress > Chronicling America > Sisseton Posten.

Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1777-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more

Title:
Sisseton Posten. [volume] : (Effington, Sud Dakota [S.D.]) 1902-19??
Place of publication:
Effington, Sud Dakota [S.D.]
Geographic coverage:
  • Effington, Roberts, South Dakota  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
  • Sisseton, Roberts, South Dakota  |  View more titles from this: City County, State
Publisher:
Eivind Trodstad
Dates of publication:
1902-19??
Description:
  • Vol. 1, no. 1(Nov. 7, 1902)-
Frequency:
Weekly
Language:
  • English
  • Norwegian
Subjects:
  • Effington (S.D.)--Newspapers.
  • Norwegians--South Dakota--Newspapers.
  • Norwegians.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01039481
  • Roberts County (S.D.)--Newspapers.
  • Sisseton (S.D.)--Newspapers.
  • South Dakota--Roberts County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214938
  • South Dakota--Sisseton.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01230732
  • South Dakota.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204322
Notes:
  • Available on microfilm from: State Archives, South Dakota State Historical Society.
  • Published in Sisseton, S.D., Oct. 21, 1909-?
LCCN:
sn2001063175
OCLC:
47090209
Holdings:
View complete holdings information
View
First Issue Last Issue

Sisseton Posten. [volume] November 7, 1902 , Image 1

Browse:

Calendar View

All front pages

First Issue  |  Last Issue

Sisseton Posten

The Sisseton Posten was first circulated on November 7, 1902. Per the publisher block, this "Weekly Newspaper in the Norwegian Language" was issued by Eivind Trockstad for an annual subscription rate of $1.00. After immigrating from Drammen, Norway, Trockstad had settled in Roberts County, South Dakota. He quickly discovered that many other settlers preferred seeing the news in their native language. He named the paper after the local Sisseton Wahpeton Native American tribe living on what is now known as the Lake Traverse Reservation, which occupies nearly sixty percent of Roberts County.

The Posten, translated as the "Mail," was printed each Friday at Effington, South Dakota. The seven-column, four-page issues were produced in the Schwabacher font. Each issue reported not only on happenings in South Dakota but on those in the nearby states of Minnesota, North Dakota, Iowa, and Wisconsin. These weekly updates helped the local Norwegians stay connected with other Scandinavian settlers nearby, while the weekly column "Norge," or "Norway," also kept them in touch with their homeland news.

Another regular Posten column was titled "Effington og Omegn" (Effington and Region). It reported on family and other visitors stopping by local citizens' homes, as well as their travel experiences. In addition, crime reports, political candidates and opinions, and election results were regular news items. The paper's advertising sections listed ads for an eye doctor, a lumber supplier, a bank, a pharmacist, and other general items.

On March 19, 1909, Axel Trockstad, Eivind's younger brother, joined the Sisseton Posten as manager, with Eivind continuing as the publisher. By September 24th of that year Axel was the only person named, as editor and manager; Eivind Trockstad left the area to report on the Klondike gold rush. Effington continued as the home of the Posten, but the paper was now being published by the Trockstads' Scandinavian-American Publishing Company.

Axel Trockstad moved the issue date to Thursday of each week, beginning on October 21, 1909. Also at this time the paper moved to Sisseton, the seat of Roberts County, approximately 15 miles southwest of Effington. The Posten's weekly hospitality column was renamed "Sisseton og Omegn" (Sisseton and Region). Portions of the paper also started including advertisements and articles printed in English as well as Norwegian.

The Sisseton Posten continued publication for several more years before being discontinued.

Provided by: South Dakota State Historical Society – State Archives