OCR Interpretation


The Wilmington morning star. [volume] (Wilmington, N.C.) 1909-1990, January 28, 1940, Section Two, Image 11

Image and text provided by University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Library, Chapel Hill, NC

Persistent link: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn78002169/1940-01-28/ed-1/seq-11/

What is OCR?


Thumbnail for

I
Society^ THE . _?&£*;_‘NEWS Section Two
___ £$XjKiig g©i5T ©aw [email protected]®Ei%gs AMia iPiuigAgMiair^ L
VOLjLr!^0. ^*---WILMINGTON, N. C., SUNDAY, JANUARY 28, 1940 PRICE FIVE CENTS
Charming Bride Of Saturday Evening
Mrs. James Chadbourn Bolles, who prior to her marriage last evening at 8 o’clock at St. James Episcopal church,
was Miss Rosemary White, lovely daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Elvie Linwood White, of this city. (Photograph by Adams
Studio.) __
- --; '
Thelma Chinnis
Becomes Bride
Of Dr. S. T. Lewis
Ceremony Solemnized Tues
day At Centenary Methodist
Church In New Bern
NEW BERN, Jan. 27—Miss Thel
Eia. Aline Chinnis and Dr. Sherman
Lewis were married Tuesday aft
ernoon January 23, at 5 o’clock in
Centenary Methodist church in a
ceremony of impressive beauty and
dignity.
Rev. L. c. Larkin, superintendent
the Rocky Mount district and
ormer Methodist pastor here, and
C. B. Culbreth, pastor of Cen
tenary Methodist church, officiated.
he church pulpit was decorated
"hh palms and fern which provid
* a background for the floor stan
fihed with white carnations
an Madona lilies. White cathedral
Indies burned in seven-branched
candelabra.
Pri/w..
- Luo ceremony a program
® wedding music was played by
1 'Ss Mary Whitehurst, organist,
®n<3 William C .Barfield sang, "Be
taUse’. Miss Whitehurst played the
a ’-lional wedding marches for
t e Processional and recessional,
w id'j31 Chorus” by Wagner and the
j.e 'r!S march from “Midsummer
* t s Dream'1 by Mendelssohn.
<F Uring the program she played
]3v'Ji!uns: star” from “Tanhausser”
aiii aSner’ “J-iebestraum” by Liszt
v 7 ,'jMV Heart at Thy Sweet
*ce fr°m "Sampson and Deliah1'
i. j, during the ritual Schubert’s
‘-Menade" wag softly played.
,'/■ Blandford, Dr. Charles Hall
1 Dr. Charles B. Johnson
"®nnth R. Jones were ushers.
h 6 fr'de had as her attendants
j. ?. briaesmaids, Mrs. C. Clayton
Bo i Greensboro and Miss Evelyn
p Bes- Miss Jacqueline and Mary
brir.01^15’ ^eland, nieces of the
Mil ’ "ere junior bridesmaids and
deni Chinnis, of Leland, stu
, at. Woman’s college of the
g erfty °f North Carolina in
ensboro, was maid of honor.
iLontinued on Page Thriteen)
Constitution House At Halifax
To Have Official Opening Friday
The official opening of Constitu
tion House at Halifax, will take
place on Friday morning, February
2, at 11:30 o’clock. This historic
shrine wherein was written the first
Constitution of the State of North
Carolina on April 12, 1776, has
been restored to its original exter
ior and furnished with furniture of
the Colonial period ly gifts from
chapters of the Daughters of the
American Revolution and individ
uals throughout the state. The local
chapter. Stamp Defiance, presented
a chair in honor of Mrs. C. Wayne
Spencer, state vice-regent.
The program will take place in
the court house at 11:30 o’clock on
Friday morning with Mrs. Eugene
Davis, state regent, presiding, it
will include an invocation by the
state chaplain, Mrs. H. O. Steele;
the pledge of allegiance to the flag,
greetings from the stnte regent,
tribute to Mrs. Ursula Daniel Moore,
founder of the movement to save
Constitution House, to Mrs- William
N. Reynolds, state regent at that
time, and to members of the Eliza
beth Montford Ashe and Thumas
Hadley chapters for their leadership
in the movement. Dr. Charles Lee
Smith, state president of the S. R
will make a brief address on out
first constitution. Miss Virginia
Horne, of Wadesboro, will present
the work of the state committee and
Mrs. Roberts, president-general, will
accept. Governor Hoe" will express
the appreciation of the state and a
luncheon will be served the national
honor guests and Governor and
Mrs. Hoey and Miss Hoey.
Committee on restoration: Mrs.
Stewart C. Pratt, chairman, Miss
Virginia Horne, Miss Helen Bryan
Chamberlain’ Mrs. W. H- Belk and
Mrs. H. R. Marshall.
The following article was written
by Mrs. J. A. Yarborough, state pub
licity chairman of the Daughters
of the American Revolution:
On the new highway 301 at Hali
fax stands a modest frame house
which is one of the most noted his
torical buildings in all North Car
olina.
With a two year celebration of
the sesquieentennial of the Consti
tution of the United States in pro
gress, it is timely to point out that
in this little building in 1776 the
first Constituton of the State of
North Carolina was drafted.
Recently Constitution House,
which was in the direct line of the
new highways, was turned by the
State Highway Commission to face
the intersection of the two roads
which pass through Halifax. The
commission built a curved drive
way leading up to the house which
connects the two roads, landscaped
the grounds and enclosed them with
a reproduction of the original picket
fence. The three markers which
were on a brick wall in front of the
house have been placed on huge
boulders and a memorial oak plant
ed in the yard is the gift of Mrs. W
N. Reynolds of Winston-Salem in
commemoration of the visit of
George Washington to Halifax in
1791. The following inscriptions on
the markers tell the story of the
importance of the buiiding:
"in this house, 1776, the Con
stitution of North Carolina was
framed. The house was restor
ed under the auspices of the
Elizabeth Montford Ashe Chap
ter, D. A. R., trustees, Ursula
M. Daniel, Annie Howerton
Taylor, Florence D. Wilcox.’’
"In patriotic commemoration
of the visit of George Wash
ington on his tour of the South
ern States, 1791. Marked by
the N. C. D. A- R.”
“1776-1926. In commemora
tion of the Halifax Resolves
adopted April 12, 1776. The N.
C. Declaration of Independence.
Erected by Elizabeth Montford
Ashe Chapter, D. A. R.”
In an age when many historic
buildings of the state have been
ruthlessly destroyed, the members
of Elizabeth Montford Ashe Chap
ter, D. A. R., are to be commended
for their preservation of Constitu
tion House.
Restorative Program
Miss Ursula Daniel, organizing
• regent of the chapter, proposed that
the members concentrate upon the
restoration of the ancient building
which had almost reached a state
of complete decay. It stood on a
(Continue'* Page Thriteen)
Miss Stallings
Becomes Bride
Of S. D. Rogers
Wedding Takes Place In Knox
ville; Bridegroom Former
Resident Of Wilmington
KNOXVILLE, Tenn., Jan. 27.—
In a private ceremony on Saturday
afternoon, January 20, at the home
of Dr. P. B- Baldridge in Knoxville,
Tenn., Miss Edith May Stallings of
Raleigh, became the bride of Sidney
Dawson Rogers of Maryville, Tenn.
Dr. Baldridge, pastor of the First
Baptist Church of Knoxville, offi
ciated at the ceremony.
The bride wore dusty pink en
semble with dark blue accessories
and a shoulder corsage of purple or
chids. Only members of the im
mediate families were present.
Mrs. Rogers is t h e youngest
daughter of Mrs. G. R. Stallings and
the late Mr. Stallings of Raleigh.
She received her education at Peace
institute. Mrs. Rogers made her de
but in Raleigh at the annual Debu
tante Ball in 1938.
Mr. Rogers is the youngest son of
Mr. and Mrs. W. F. Rogers of Wil
mington. He was graduated from
the Engineering Department of
North Carolina State college in 1939
and is now connected with the
Aluminum company of America and
is located in Maryville, Tenn.
After a short wedding trip Mr.
and Mrs. Rogers will be at home in
Maryville, Tenn.
* ik A
MISS MARY MASON
BECOMES BRIDE OF
RICHARD REGAN, JR.
Mr. and Mrs. Leon Mason, of
this city, announce the marriage of
their daughter, Mary Elizabeth, to
Richard Regan, Jr., son of Mr. and
Mrs. Richard Regan, Sr., of Long
Island, N. Y.
The marriage took place on Janu
ary 22, at Elkton, Maryland
After February 1 the couple will
make their home at Long Island.
They are making a tour of the
southern states.
Sibley-Wood
Wedding Plans
Are Announced
St. James Episcopal Church
To Be Scene Of Wedding
Wednesday Evening
Of widespread interest to society
are the plans for the wedding of
Miss Frances Sibley, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Sibley, of this
city, and Edward J. Wood, son of
Mrs. E- J. Wood, also of this city,
which will be solemnized on Wed
nesday evening, January 31, at St.
James Episcopal church, at S
o’clock.
The Rev. Mortimer Glover, rector
of the church, assisted by Dr. A. D.
P. Gilmour, pastor of the First
Presbyterian church, will officiate
at the ceremony.
Miss Sibley will have as her dame
of honor, her sister, Mrs. Henry
McQueen Emerson, and Miss Eliza
beth Sibley, her sister, will be maid
of honor. Bridesmaids will be Mrs.
Donald Brock Koonce, sister of the
bridegroom and Mrs. Robert Wiley
Smith, of Columbus, Georgia.
Mr. Wood will have as his best
man, his brother, John Dalziei
Wood, and groomsmen will be Alex
ander Sprunt Hall, Dr. Donald
Brock Koonce, Louis Henry deRos
set, of Raleigh, formerly of Wil
mington, Henry McQueen Emerson
John Haughton London, of Pitts
boro, and Dr. Charles Pattison Gra
ham.
* * *
MARGARET NEWLAND,
ROBERT GOODE FORD
ANNOUNCE MARRIAGE
Mr. and Mrs. C. B. Newland, ol
Penderlea, announce the marriage of
their daughter, Margaret, to Robert
Goode Ford, of Cherryville, on June
12, 1939, at Harrissonburg, Va. Mr.
and Mrs. Ford are residing at Kure
Beach.
* * *
SUMMER ROUND-UP
CHAIRMEN TO MEET
The summer round-up chairmen
of the twelve grammar schools are
requested to meet in Miss Columbia
Munds’ office in the courthouse
Tuesday afternoon at 4 o’clock.
Miss Rosemary White Becomes
Bride Of James Chadbourn Bolles
Historic St. James Episcopal
church was the scene of a brilliant
wedding last evening at S o’clock
when Miss Rosemary White, daugh
ter of Mr. and Mrs. Elvie Linwood
White, of this city, became the
bride of James Chadbourn Bolles,
of Burlington, formerly of Wil
mington.
The church was beautifully dec
orated with southern smilax, palms,
and cybodium ferns in the chancel
and on the altar were two vases
of Easter lilies and burning candles.
The family pews were marked with
white satin and Easter lilies.
The Right Rev. Thomas C. Darst,
bishop of the Diocese of East Caro
lina, officiated at the ceremony be
fore a large assemblage of society.
A program of nuptial music was
given by William G. Robertson, or
ganist, while the guests assembled
and during the ceremony.
The bride was attended by her
sister, Miss Margaret Mayo White,
as maid of honor. Mrs. Henry Em
erson attended the bride as dame
of honor. Bridesmaids were Miss
Dorothy Sparkes, Miss Nancy Crow,
Miss Elizabeth Metts, all of this
city, and Miss Mildred Rawlings, of
Goldsboro.
Miss White, the maid of honor,
wore a lovely gown of pink net
fashioned with very full long
sleeves being caught tight at the
wrist by a narrow band. The skirt
was long and flowing. Miss White
wore in her hair two blue gar
denias and carried a bouquet ol
blue gardenias. She completed her
costume with a gold locket.
Mrs. Emerson, the dame of hon
or, was dressed in a lovely gown
of orchid net fashioned on the same
lines as that of the maid of honor’s
dress and wore in her hair two
pink gardenias and carried a bou
quet of pink gardenias.
The bridesmaids were gowned
identically as the two other • at
tendants with the exception of the
shade of their dresses, those being
a soft blue. They carried bouquets
of pink gardenias and in their hair
they wore two gardenias.
The bride, escorted to the altar
and given in marriage by her fa
ther, was lovely in a wedding gown
of ivory satin made on old fash
ioned lines with a low round neck
line, this being bordered with a
wide collar of rosepoint lace. The
sleeves were short and puffed and
she wore long white gloves. The
bodice was made on simple lines
and the long skirt formed a court
train in the back. Her veil of
bridal illusion was worn cap shape
and over her veil of illusion was
used a web-like length of Venetian
roscpoint lace, which had been
worn by brides of the bridegroom’s
family. She also wore a beautiful
necklace of circular clusters of
pearls, bracelet, pin and _ clips to
match, also worn by brides in the
bridegroom’s family. She carried a
beautiful shower bouquet of gar
denias and lilies of the valley.
Mr. Bolies was attended by J.
Holmes Davis, Jr., as best man.
Groomsmen were Peter Browne
Ruffin and William I. Corbett, of
Wilmington, Martin Lee, of Char
lotte, James J. Harris, of Char
lotte, Stowe Moody, of Charlotte,
Morgan A. Reynolds, of Charlotte,
and George Bagbv, of Charlotte,
and Robert Gold, of Greensboro.
Mrs. White, the bride's mother,
was charming in a gown of ivory
lace and a corsage of orchids. Mrs.
Rose Mayo Furlong, grandmother
of the bride, was lovely in a dress
of violet chiffon and a corsage of
gardenias and lilies of the valley.
Mrs. Charles P. Bolies wore a be
coming gown of black net and a
corsage of orchids.
me brides parents entertained
at a beautiful reception at 9 o’clock
at the Cape Fear Country club.
The ballroom was decorated through
out with smilax, cybodium ferns
and palms and the mantle was
banked with cybodium ferns and
white snapdragons. The bride’s table
was appointed with a lovely lace
cloth over satin and centered with
buddelia in a silver bowl and on
both sides were burning tapers in
silver candelabra.
Later in the evening Mr. and
Mrs. Bolies left by motor for a
wedding trip to Florida and Nas
sau. Mrs. Bolies wore for traveling
a smart navy crepe frock trimmed
with light blue and a light blue
wool coat trimmed with gray fox
and matching accessories.
Mrs. Bolies received her educa
tion at St. Mary’s school in Ra
leigh and Salem college in Winston
Salem. Mr. Bolies attended Culver
Military academy at Culver, Indi
ana, and was graduated from the
University of Pennsylvania and is
a member of the S. A. E. frater
nity.
Mrs. Bolies is a popular member
of the social contingent of this
city and has been feted at a num
ber of lovely social events since
her engagement w'as announced.
Among those entertaining in her
(Continued on Page Thriteen)
Sadie Elmore,
Lee Spence, Jr.,
Announce Plans
Wedding To Take Place Sat
urday Evening, February
3, At Covenant Church
Of much interest to society in the
city are the plans for the wedding
of Miss Sadie Charles Elmore,
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John
Archer Elmore, of this city, and
Union Lee Spence, Jr., of Raleigh,
which will take piace on Saturday
evening, February 3, at 6:30 o'clock
at the Church of the Covenant.
Dr. J. H. Whitmore, pastor of the
church, will officiate at the cere
mony.
Miss Elmore will be attended by
Miss Carol Slocum as maid of honor,
and bridesmaids will be Miss Cathe
rine Waite, of Culneper, Virginia,
Miss Mary Worthy Spence, of Car
thage, sister of the bridegroom.
Miss Margaret Darst, and Miss May
Ella Williamson, of Ashevilie, a
cousin. Junior bridesmaids will be
cousins of the bride, Astrid Par
mele and Ingrid Parmele, of Argen
tine Republic, South America.
Mr. Spence will have as his best
man, William B. McDonald, of Ra
leigh, and groomsmen t ill be S. B.
Ilagier,'of Raleigh, Eugene Stewart,
of Carthage, Franklin Harper El
more, and Glenn Stevens, of Ra
leigh.
# * *
MISS BEULAH KELLY, ,
WILLIAM C. WELLS
ANNOUNCE MARRIAGE
WILLARD, Jan. 27—Mr. and Mrs.
A. B. Kelly, of Willard, announce
| the marriage of their daughter,
i Beulah Mae, to William Carroll
j Wells, on Friday, September, 8,
1939, at Conway, South Carolina.
Mr. Wells is the son of Mr. and
Mrs. George T. Wells, Sr., of Wil
lard. The couple will make their
home in Wallace, where Mr. Wells
is connected with the Longest
Lumber company.
* * «
Birth Announced
Mr. and Mrs. C. D. Kelly an
nounce the birth of a son, Gene
| Lenwood Kelly, at the Marion Sprunt
annex on January 23. Mrs. Kelly is
the former Eleanor Elizabeth Ezzell,
of Raleigh.
Attractive Bride Of Week
Mrs. William E. Todd, who before her wedding on Thursday evening, January 25, at St. John’s Episcopal church
here, was Miss Reba Myers Lyell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James S. Lyell, Sr., of this city. (Photograph by Adams
Studio.)
4 \ '_

xml | txt