Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1789-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About Knoxville journal. [volume] (Knoxville, Iowa) 1874-1986
Knoxville, Iowa (1874-1986)
- Knoxville journal. [volume] : (Knoxville, Iowa) 1874-1986
- Alternative Titles:
- Knoxville (Iowa) journal <Mar. 6, 1952>
- Place of publication:
- Knoxville, Iowa
- Geographic coverage:
- F.C. Barker
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 19, no. 1 (June 11, 1874)-v. 131, no. 38 (Sept. 15, 1986).
- Knoxville (Iowa)--Newspapers.
- Archived issues are available in digital format from the Library of Congress Chronicling America online collection.
- Oct. 1, 1930 issue also called Knoxville journal diamond jubilee ed.
- Publisher varies.
- Republican, <1876>.
- sn 82015854
- Preceding Titles:
- Succeeding Titles:
- Related Links:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
Iowa Voter and Knoxville Journal
The Knoxville Journal was the second newspaper established in Marion County and the first published in the county seat. In the fall of 1855, William Stone purchased a press in Keokuk, Iowa, and brought it to Knoxville on an ox wagon, publishing his first issue in early October. The Journal printing office was destroyed in a fire the following March, forcing Stone to suspend publication for a short time until he partnered with George W. Edwards to revive the business.
Over the next few years, the Journal changed hands several times. In 1860, it was purchased by William Horner and James Honnold, who changed the title to the Marion County Republican. Benjamin F. Williams purchased the paper in October 1861 and published it for nearly five years before selling to William G. Cambridge in August 1866. The following March, Cambridge sold the paper to Andrew F. Sperry and Francis C. Barker in exchange for the Guthrie County Vedette in Panora, Iowa. After taking over the Knoxville paper, Sperry and Barker changed the title to the Iowa Voter.
In August 1872, Sperry retired, and Barker continued as the sole editor and publisher of the Iowa Voter. Two years later, he changed the title back to the Knoxville Journal on June 11, 1874. With this change, Barker sought to reinforce the newspaper's connection with the town of Knoxville, writing, "The Journal is proud of its home, and proud of the name of one of the most moral, peaceful, and prosperous - best, and consequently happiest, cities of Iowa; not ashamed of the name Knoxville as a part of its own, and indulges in the hope that Knoxville may never have occasion to be ashamed of the Journal."
County, state, and national news were all well represented in the Knoxville Journal. Items of local interest included legal notices, board of supervisor minutes, probate proceedings, and other miscellaneous events and announcements. The 1870s brought some significant changes to Knoxville and Marion County. Two railroad lines were extended to Knoxville: the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy in 1875, and the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific in 1876. Around the same time, systematic coal mining began in Marion County when the Union Coal Company began operations about four miles east of Knoxville. The Journal played an important role in keeping residents informed of these developments and their effects on the city.
Provided by: State Historical Society of Iowa