OCR Interpretation

The Daily bulletin. (Honolulu [Hawaii]) 1882-1895, August 02, 1889, INSURRECTION EDITION, Image 2

Image and text provided by University of Hawaii at Manoa; Honolulu, HI

Persistent link: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn82016412/1889-08-02/ed-1/seq-2/

What is OCR?

Thumbnail for

"fit '
UiIsuccgssM Attempt
Am Force of Natives
Palace Yard at Time
Lieut. Robert Parker
The King at His Boat House
with Twelve of Hia
Sharp Skirmishing Since 10:15
O'clock A, M.
Sovoral Insurrectionists Killed and
Surrender of Rebsls.
. Tuesday, July 30, 1880.
Early this morninglhe inhabitants
of Honolulu were generally notitletl
by telephone from the Central Of
fices that a revolution was in pro
gress, and that the revolutionist"
were in the Palace Yard, also in
possession of theTSovemmeut Build
ings. It appears that Robert W. Wilcox,
well-known as a Hawaiian Govern
ment pupil at a Military Academy
in Italy, led about one hundred
armed men over the Palace wall
from Likelike street soon after three
o'clock in the morning. There was
only the usual guard at the gates,
who could offer no resistance. A
guard of the revolutionists was also
put in possession of Aliiohiui Hale
(the main Government building) and
the Kapuaiwa building, containing
sundry public ollices.
The King, who was bleeping at
Ilonuakaha, the Queen's private re
sidence, Queen and Punchbowl
streets, was apprised of the situa
tion by telephone from one of the
native women within the Palace.
His Majesty immediately telephon
ed to Jas. W. Robertson, Vice
Chamberlain, who repaired with all
haste to the King, and they hur
ried off to the :oyal boathouse,
where the King has-remained ever
since, the royal standard floating
from the llagstatf.
Lieut. Robert Parker took- chaige
of the Palace with twelve of the
Household Guards, and although
repeated demand weie mode upon
him by Wilcox to surionder he re
fused to do so.
It is believed that the plan of the
insurrectionists wi to secure, the
person of the King and demand of
him a new Constitution and a new
Cabinet, also his abdication in fa
vor of . Liliuokalani, his sister, the
Upon the members of the Cabinet
receiving information of the Mate of
affairs, they held a council with His
Excellency Geo. W. Merrill, United
States Miiiistei ; Major Wodchoiibe,
Senlior CanavarroandM. d'Anglade,
respectively the British, French
and Portuguese Commissioners ;
also Captain Woodward of the
U. S. S. Adams. The Cabinet de
cided to make u demand, in the
namo of the Government, upon Wil
c6x to surrender. Minister Thutbton
had 'left for Molokai the evening be
fore," but the steamer Kuala" was
despatched for lihn this forenoon.
The foreign representatives ad
vised th asking of Wilcox as to
what his demands were for a prelimi
nary, they deHiiing to have hostili
ies averted if possible, for which
they were prepared to use tl elr
ollices. But. they were informed by
Mr. Damon, after the incidents
about to be related, fiat he could
not gain access to Wilcox and that
they could not approach the Palace
without danger of their lives.
The Cabinet appointed Col. V. V.
Ashford to take charge of the troops
and report to thorn all arrangements
he might bo able to make for pie
eerving the authority of the Govern
ment. Minister Damr n was appointed to
carry the demand for s ..tier to
Wilcox. Heprouici.il m the King
street entrance of the Pulace u taw
minutes beforq ten o'clock, attend
ed by Lieut. Kamana of the police
force. HtRvas refused admittance,
Wilcox declining to receive any com
munication from the outside.
In Iho meantime the Honolulu
Rifles 'were ordered to report at the
Armory, which thoy very promptly
did to tho number of nearly a hun
dred. The following notice, signed
by John 11. Soper, Marshal, and
countersigned by tho three Minis
ters, was nostcd all over town:
V.fnrv niilr-hnrlind Male Kill-
ployec of the HAWAIIAN GOV
ERNMENT within the City, with
out except'nn, is ordered forthwith
to Report for Duty to the Marshal
of the Kingdom."
Shortly before the visit of Minister
Dnnion to the Palace gate, six sharp
shooters fiom the Honolulu Rifles
were posted in the Hawaiian Opera
House, commanding a view of tho
front of the Palace. G. Sehumau,
a private in the llilles, who was on
guard in Palace Square, was arrested
by tho rebels, who took him within
the ard, disarmed him and then
le'.cased him.
During the incident just related,
shot was tired from the Palace
Yard, but by whom or in what direc
tion is not known. Another shot
immediately followed, it is believed
bv one of the Rifles sjtiard at n for
eigner on horseback persisting in
passing the line after being oidcred
Firing then almost immediately,
became general on both sides, Min
ister Damon having to get away be
tween the two tires. The rebels
turned the field-pieces in the yard
upon their besiegers, but they were
only allowed to tire a few shots, for,
as fast as they came to serve the
guns, they were greeted with bullets
from the sharpshooters.
The llnng was at times quite
brisk. Before the skirmish had
continued long, it was reported that
Robert Boyd, Wilcox's lieutenant
and a Hawaiian Government gradu
ate of an Italian naval academy,
was fatally wounded. George Murk
ham was also reported mortally
wounded, and another man to be
lying dead near the Government
building "Kapuaiwa."
Early in the afternoon four revo
lutionists were captured after escap
ing from the Palace Yard over the
wall. Two of them were wounded,
one rather seriously. Drs. Rodgers
ana Wood dressed his wounds at.
the Police Station. The prisoners
reported their comrades desirous of
getting out of the scrape.
About two o'clock the Govern
ment buildings were captured by
the Ritles without resistance.
Sharpshooters for the Government
were posted in Kawaiahao Church
and private residences commanding
the Palace Yard, as well as in the
Opera House. Whenever anybody
appeared in the yard he was fired
at, and many were knocked out.
Wilcox was been in rear of the
Palace by different persons. He
wore an Italian uniform.
The Government has two machine
guns 'at the Station, and is ready
for further emergencies.
About 11 o'clock a squad of
marines from the II. S. S. Adams
landed and m:n ched to the United
States Legation on Alnkea street,
where they were stationed for pro
lection of American interests. The
Legation was the main rendezvous
of the foreign representatives.
The both telephones were forbid
den to make private connections
early in the forenoon. This adds to
the difficulty of getting accurate in
formation from the fiont.
Prof. W. D. Alexander was re
fused permission in the morning to
-enter the Government Surve3' office,
where 'ho debited to wind the astro
nomical clock. Iu the afternoon,
however, he entered without ob
struction, as the garrison had ie-
Firing continued very brisk at in
tervals until nearly four o'clock,
when for a time only occasional
shots were heard. The Government
felt' thai, the rebels were virtually
prisoners iu the bungalow, and that
it only remained to force a capitu
lation before 'night.
Chas. Clark was arrested by Officer
Laisen on a charge of treason and
locked up in the station-house.
A report was in circulation that
the U. S. S. Alert and Nipsic weie
in bight, but it was without founda
tion. About ."0 of the revolutionists
surrendered their arms to Lieut.
Robt. Parker, and are in custody iu
the' basement of the Palace.
The saloons were closed all day
by order of the Marshal,
' Loonians, a Belgian who was second
in command of the rebels, came over
the Palace wall, it Is Mipposed to
get food, was arrested and taken to
the, Station House.
The barracks are in clwrge of the
Household Hoops who me well
No steamers left this poit, with
the exception of the Kaala on Gov
ernment service.
Business place were closed and
the streets filled with orderly crowds
of all nationalities throughout the
Knrly in Iho day Mr. C. P. Frank
lin, a guest at the' Hawaiian Hotel,
while passing down Richards btreet
was struck by a stray bullet in tho
shoulder, inflicting a slight wound.
During the heiglil of the bailie iu
the forenoon, shot fairly rained in
the vicinity of the Marine Railway.
Three grape balls about an inch iu
diameter tore through the roof of
Mr. James Lyle's house, two of
them in the eaves and the Ihiid near
the roof peak of a loft coinmuuicat
ingwith the dwelling, This balj
was cut In two by the iron roollug,
struck a rafter and fell within four
or llvo yards of a lady who was tak
ing an airing and looking out over
the bay. Several balls struck on
land and water close to the house,
Mr. Lyle ill onco moved his family
and that of ft daughter visiting them
iinder the lailway cradle until the
shower ol lead was over.
Stray bullets from tho direction
of thu Government "building fell on
aids of St Andrew's Cathe
dral and of tho Hotel.
After the Battle
Wednesday, July 31, 1889.
Yesterday afternoon the Govern
ment decided that it was ueeessary
to dislodge Wilcox from Iho bunga
low into" which he hud withdrawn
his remaining force. Half-past four
was fixed as the tiinu for the grand
attack, but it was an hour later be
fore preparations were completed.
Having no ordnance to bring to
bear upon the building the use of
giant powder cartridges was rescu
ed to. These were hurled by strong
arms from Palace Walk and some
from Richaids street, and as they
exploded the report made people at
a distance think tho rebels had got
the cannon into play again.
A terrific fusillade was at the-same
time begun and kept up with
scaicely an intermission for about
an hour from all the commanding
points of vantage. A galling fire
was poured into the lower, Hat of the
bungalow by half a dozen citizen
marksmen posted in the Hawaiian
Hotel Stables.
Then suddenly was heard the
commanding shout, "Hold on,"
after which only a desultory shot or
two was heard from the church, and
the explosion of one bomb at the
bungalow. The cessation of the
fray was caused by the beleaguered
rebels displaying a white sheet and
calling out their "Surrender."
The gates were thrown open and
a force of volunteers entering re
ceived the submission of Wilcox and
about thirty of his followers. The
remainder of them made good their
escape over the Palace wall. The
Unity who had surrendered to
Lieut. Parker in the afternoon
were previously sent to the Station
under guard.
Wilcox and his gang were escorted
also to the Station. The rebel chief
bore himself sullenly and proudly
through the crowded streets, casting
looks of disdain to right and left as
cries of vengeance were heard, such
as "String him up," etc.
In the meantime about seventy
blue-jackets and marines had been
landed f i om the U. S. S. Adams to
assist in preserving peace in town
during tho night. They marched
with fife and- drum music to the
United States Legation, and with a
machine gun afterward look a turn
round the streets', finally quartet ing
for the night at the old Armory. Their
presence gave great heart to resi
dents who had regarded the approach
of night and its dread possibilities
with tiepidation. They returned on
boaul this morning.
The city was well patrolled by
regular and. special armed police,
and the Honolulu Ritles dining the
night, and this morning dawned
without further tiouble to be re
ported. Additional arrests fpr treason aic
those of J. J. McDonald and J. M.
Poepoe the lawyer.
A liui.LiTnx representative had
a long talk this morning with First
Lieut. Robert Parker of the House
hold Guards, the brave officer who
held the Palace all day, though at
limes exposed himself to the great
est danger. 1 his dating young
officer is deserving of the highest
credit for the stand ho look. Lieut.
Parker told the following slory to
the. reporter :
I was on duty as usual in the
Palace with twelve men, including
two sergeants and one corporal. A
sentry was at each entrance to the
Palace yard. I was asleep when,
between four and iivc o'clock in the
morning, the guard aroused me and
said that Wilcox with a number of
men was at the mauka gate. The
sentry was called out to by Wilcox
and told to open thu gate, but in
stead called out, "Line Compnny."
I at once stationed my men inside
of the Palace and called in the four
sentries from the yard. It was not
daylight but I could see one of Wil
cox's men climb over the muuka
gale and open it from the inside.
Wilcox then marchul his men, about
eighty, to the front of the Palace
and formed into line. Wilcox came
to me and commanded me to give up
my sword and the Palace to him. I
told him decidedly I would not. I
marched up tho Palace steps, ho fol
lowing me with a loaded pistol. I
looked half round all the way up,
expecting every moment to be a
dead man. I had only my drawn
sword In my hand. When he got
half way up he turned around and
went to his company. About sixty
were carrying guns. He came again
to mo and asked me where tho field
pieces were, but I refused to en
lighten him. However, alter a short
time he found them and placed
them In position iu the yard, and
then broke open tho powder maga
zine. I went out to the barracks
and icportcd to Capt. Kahulewai,
and ho ordered' me to go buck and
not allow anyone inside of the Pa
lace, Wilcox boon after came lip
the steps again and called out to
me to give up the Palace, as
he wauled to put the field pieces
inside. I shouted out from the
door that I would not give up until
I lost my last man. He went away
but soon returned and this time de
manded to know where the guns and
fuses were. 1 said I did -not know.
About eight o'clock ho came up tho
steps of the palaco wilhhis pistol at
full cock pointed at me. 1 had two
men back of me with their guns
loaded and instructed them to firo
at Wiloox if he moved his hand. Ho
made another demand for cnlrnnco
to the palace, but as before was re
fused. Immediately after I noticed
he was getting thu guns in the yard
ready for action. While walking
through Iho basement of the pa'kico
1 must have b?.en mistaken for Wil
cox by the sharpshooters in the vi
cinity of Likelike itreet, for three
bullets were aimed nt me iu rapid
succession; one went just over niv
head, a second close to my right,
side, while the third grazed my
left shoulder. We 'managed to
get some, breakfast but got noth
ing more to eat until evening
after the surrender. After the
sharpshooters began to get in their
work a number of Wilcox's men
sought lefugc in the bungalow,
while thirty took position on the
steps in l ear of the palace. I told
them to give up theii arms but they
would not; then bald that if they
did not move away I would shoot
them. I stationed two of my men
at the door, but after a few minutes
the thirty men laid down their arms,
and 1113' men picked them up. I
took the men into the kitchen in the
palace basement and told them (hey
were prisoners. About 5:30 o'clock
they weie let out from the front of
the palace and taken to the Govern
ment building. About seven o'clock
I saw a man run from the bungalow,
and knowing that it meant surrender
I opened the front entrance of the
palncc. Soon the Rifles came along
and Wilcox was marched off to the
Station. I had' a good view of all
that took place as 1 was on tin:
lookout all day.
I..VNI. , Thcnameofll.R.H.PrlnccssLiliu
okalatii was freely made use of on the
streets yesterday in connection with
the revolution, and in view of this
fact, a Bulletin reporter called on
the Princess at her residence, Wash
ington Place, this morning, and in
the presence of her husband, Hon.
John O. Dominis, asked her the fol
lowing question :
Reports being around that you
were implicated with Wilcox in liis
designs, and that he held secret
meetings at your Palama residence
which you attended, will you say
whether or not such is" the case?
The Princess icplicd that bhe
knew nothing whatever of Wilcox's
intentions until the Ministers in
formed her after her return from
llilo in June; that after being so
informed she at once told Wilcox
she did not approve of his designs
if such 'was his intention, and told
him he should desist without further
delay ; that she had never been pre
sent at any of his meetings.
The Princess also stated in con
versation that Wilcox had been liv
ing at her Palama residence, but
after her return from Kauai a couple
of weeks ago, she ordeied him away
liom the house and he look up his
quarters in the servants' cottages in
rear. The Princess also said that
when Wilcox was in San Francisco
she received a lette'r from him. In
reply she wrote that if he had any
designs he need not return, but if he
only intended to come just before
the election and run as representa
tive that would be all right.
So far there are five dead, their
names beiug as follows: Loika,Poni,
Helelua, Kawaiwai and Sam Tucker.
Keki, who was shot through the
neck, is at his home iu Kalihi and is
not expected to live.
Following is the list of the wound
ed: Tom Ilopa, a Tuhitian, wounded
in the left thigh, the bone being
shattered. He is in a critical condi
tion. Kamni, right hand badly shot and
a bullet wound in the loft thigh.
Walu, three fingers of the right
hand shattered.
George Markham, shot in the left
Robert Boyd, scalp wound on the
right side of the head, and wounded
iu the thigh.
The above mentioned are at the
Queen's Hospital In custody, it not
being considered safe to move them.
The following wounded men are
in the hospital at Oahu prison : Ku
uumoana, hit in the shoulder ; Ma
kolo, thigh wound, and Keawo,
wound in calf of leg.
None of the Government forces
was hurt.
thi: damage to property.
The interior of the bungalow in
tho Palace yard, where the rebels
were located the greater part of the
day, presented a scene of devasta
tion lliis morning, Tho roof is dam
aged very considerably by the giant
powder cartridges which exploded
on It. The rooms upstairs nt the
Richards street end presented a sorry
appearance. Furniture was all
smashed to pieces, the floors were
strewed with broken glass and bul
let holes were seen iu thu walls iu
every diiection. It was terrible
to see what damage had been done.
On the matting in several of tho
rooms were large patches of blood,
and many cloths were lying around
sutuiatt'd with blood. On the back
verandah down stairs was a long
trail of blood looking as if a wound
ed man had been dragged along.
The damage to the lower part of the
bungalow was small compared to
that on the first floor.
Nearly all the windows on the
Ewa sltlo of the Palace wore smash
ed, and many on the Wnikiki side.
The front of tho Opera House is
badly peppered with bullet shots.
Considerable damngc was done to
tho Interior. One shell from a field
piece passed tliiough the front door,
two green baize screens, tho inner
wall, through the outer wall of the
Royal box, the back of a chair, ex
ploding in the wall on the other side
of the box. Another shell passed
through the front window and lodg
ed in the counter weight box of the
led curtain wheie it now is. The
back of one of tho seals in the gal
lery was smashed to piece. The
windows and roof were riddled with
bullets. Very little dunrige was
done lo the Government building.
Business was resumed to-day but
the saloons arc still closed. Lurge
crowds of curious natives weie
hanging around iu the precincts oi
the Station House.
Wilcox i9 locked up safely in a
cell at the 'Station House. He takes
his arrest in a very cool manner, and
still wears his ltalinn unifoi in of black
with broad yellow stiipes.
Capt. Kulialewui held Iho barracks,
with sonic of the Household troops.
Wilcox entered the barracks alone
early 111 tho morning and made a
demand, but wns told to get out,
which he did.
Several of those arrested have
mude impoitant confessions which
will materially assist the Govern
ment. Wilcox's effects are in charge
of the Marshal.
J. M. Poepoe, the lawyer, w.19
witli the rebels in the Palace yard iu
the morning, hut soon after the first
shots were fired, scaled the wall and
got away. Later on he was arrest
ed. Loomans, the Belgian, before his
arrest went down to the King's boat
house and asked to see the King. The
guai ds sent him away. ' It is pretty
generally understood that he had
evil designs.
The Queen was at her Waikiki
residence all day.
Minister Thurston returned from
Moloktii at 1 o'clock this morning.
Up to the time 'of going to press
55 arrests have been made, not in
cluding those lying wounded at the
Queen's hospital and at the prison.
Melius of i
Incidents in the Aftermath.
Eesidence of the Heir Appa
rent the Starting Point
. of tho E eh el" March.
Thursday, August 1, 1889.
A mooting of the Cabinet was
held yesteulny to confer with the
King iu regard to holding a meeting
of the Privy Council. That body
will meet at 2 p. m. Fridaj'.
K. W. Wilcox, the leader of the
revolution, and Albert Loomenn,
the Belgian, Wilcox's first lieuten
ant, were brought up iiivlhc Police
Court this moiuiug and charged
with treason dining tho past three
months, more paiticularly on July
29th and 30th.' V. V. Ashford ap
peared as counsel for Wilcox, and
W. A Whiting for Loomenn. At the
lcquest of counsel the case was re
manded to Monday, August 5th.
Wilcox has cast off Ins Italian uni
form, appealing in Court in citizen's
dress. It appears thai Loomenn has
only been iu the country between
two and three months.
While Hon. Henry Watcrhousc
was on tho plains this morning lie
met A. S. Mahaulu, one of those
who were in the Palace yard with
the rebels. Mnllaulu wa9 the man
who ran out of the bungalow and
held up the white fiug. He told Mr.
Waterhouse he thought it best for
him to give himself up, and was at
once driven to the Station House by
Mr. W. and locked up. Mnhauln
describes the scene in the bungalow
previous to surrender as boinething
terrible to witness. Wilcox would
not go out with the flag, so he had
to do it himself.
Several other arrests have been
made this morning.' Among the ar
rested at the Station House arc
members of the King's Own,
Queen's Own, Prince's Own and Lc
leiohoku Guards, Albert Kunulakea,
Kahananui, Charles Clark, A, S.
Mahaulu, J. M. Poepoe and Alex.
J. K. Kaunomano, cx-member for
Hamakua, is under arrest. A letter
from him to Wilcox was found on the
latler's person when searched at the
Station House after arrest.
Minister Thurston was at the Sta
tion House lust evening examining a
number of those under arrest. De
puty Attorney-General Peterson was
employed in the samo woik to-day.
Deputy Marbhal Creighton, act
ing as coroner, empanelled a jury
and held an inquest yesterday on
tho bodies of the five men killed 011
Tuesday. This afternoon ho has
held tin inquest at Kalihi on the
body of the sixth victim, Keki, A
verdict will be returned as soon as
all tho evidence is in,
John E. Bush, editor of the Ka
Olaio," and W. II. Cunnnlngs, were
taken to the Station IJousu shortly
vff 1 'Wi ttoiatmm M
before noon to-day for tho purpose
of being examined. Bush is held
in custody but Cummitigs has been
let go.
Albert Kunuiakca and J. J. Mac
donald wore released from custody
this afternoon, there not being suf
ficient evidence to warrant their de
tention. Others may be released.
The Honolulu Rifles, first battal
ion of Volunteeis, are entitled to a
great deal of ciedit for the elllclent
part they tonkin putting down the re
bellion. They responded promptly to
the call and faithfully carried out
the orders given by Col. V. V. Ash
ford through MojoY IL F. Hubbard,
commanding the battalion,
Capt. Larson of the police force,
as soon as he heard of the ichels
having possession of the Palace
vnrd. rode tin at full sueed and
moused Marshal Soper, and then
went to the Station House and -made
all preparations for its defense.
Tho Marshal jumped into his clothes
and with a six shooter in his lmnd
made his way lo the Station House,
and at once telephoned to over a
hundred while men with whom bpo
cial arrangements hud been made
before hand, that in c.isc they were
rung up to immediately report at
the Station House. Sergeant Dote
knew a long time before Capt. Lar
son that the rebels had met, but
when Dole reported to the officer in
charge he said all was quiet, and
Lursen went lo get his coffee. When
he found out the situation and con
fronted Dole, the latter said he for
got. Capt. Larsen notified Deputy
Warden Kingsley of Oahu Prison of
the state of affairs in good season,
and the prisoners were all locked up
111 their cells, with the exception of
beven who had been sent out to look
after the stock in the Government
yard. Five of these joined the re
bels voluntarily, the other two be
ing forced to join.
Tho Fire Department was in
readiness for any emergency on
Tuesday. Chief Engineer Wilson
was on special duty at the Station
House, but the department oiders
issued by him were well carried out
by Mr. J. C. White", tiie engineer
and fire marshal. lie patrolled the
city day and night and rcpoiled
every hour at the Station House.
No. 1 Company were nt their house
with all apparatus in readiness.
Companies No. 2 and 4 each had
two horses attached to their engines
daj' and night, No. 5 was stationed
on Maunakua street, while the Hook
& Ladder wagon and the various
hose carts were manned leady to be
out at a moment's notice. The de
partment was about two hundred
strong and the men wore blue shirts
to distinguish them from the rebels.
The Chief Engineer had a strong
guard at the Water Works.
Loomenn 'the Belgian, it is under
stood, held tho position of spy for
the rebels. -
Keki, the native who was shot in
the neck, died at his home in Ka
lihi, Wednesday afternoon at 2
o'clock. This brings the list of
dead up to six.
James Kauhane, an ex-policeman,
was wounded in the head by a giant
powder cartridge while in the bun
galow. He has made his escape.
Wilcox does not squeal on any
one, but takes all the blame to him
self. The rebels met at Princess
Liliuokulani's Palama residence
Monday evening, and in the enrlj'
morn of Tuesday marched from
there, 180 strong, right along King
street to Richards street, from there
along Palace Walk to the rear gate
of the Palace yard. The name given
lo the organization was "Liberal
Patriotic Association" with seventy
sworn members.
Before the King left- Ilonuakaha
for his boat house, Tuesday morn
ing, his private carriage was driven
down to Ilonuakaha in charge of
five of the rebels, one of whom sent
word in to His Majesty, asking hiirf
to take adrivc. The King refused
the invitation.
Latest Enformation.
At an inquisition taken at Hono
lulu, Island of Oahu, on the 30th
and 31st day of "July and the 1st of
August, A. D. 1889, before Charles
Creighton, one of the coroners of
said island,, upon tho bodies of
Loika, Ponl, Sam Tucker, Keki, Kelc
lua and Kawaiwai (all native male
Iluwaiians), thero lying dead, by
the oaths of the jurors whose names
are hereunto subscribed, who being
sworn to inquire when, how and by
what mean--the- above mentioned
came lo their death, upon their
oaths do say that the said persons
came to their death by reason of
gunshot wounds inflicted while said
persons were in open insurrection
against tho Hawaiian Government
on July 30th, 1889. In ' testi
mony whereof the said coroner and
the jurors of this inquest havo here
unto set their hands this 1st day of
August, 1889,
Ciias. Creighton, Coroner.
Geo. Lucas, Jr.,
Wm. II. IIoogs,
John E. Bidwell,
Wm, B. Oleson,
J. D. Tucker,
D. Shepherd.
Late Thursday afternoon Charles
Clark, John Sheldon, George Ellis
and a native named Jack wero re
leased from custody.
D, W, Pun had a charge pi con.
spiiaoy entered against him two
was then released on a ball bond of.
Twenty white special officers have
been sworn in, ten for duty in the
daytime, the other ten nt night. '
Capt. Kahalewai of the Household
troops, who was in chargo of the
barracks on the day of tho attempt
ed revolution, was arrested Thin
day ovetiing about five o'clock and
taken 10 tho Station House A
posse of policemen went to the bar
racks to make the arrest, but the
guard at the door rofitscd them ad
mittance, as tho captain hud en
tered on the books thnt no police
men were to be allowed inside the
barracks.. The police, however,
gained admittance to the Pulace
grounds, and found Kuhalewni In
side the Palace. It is slated that
on the iiteum; of t'ic uprising, Wil
cox, the romT leader, was ineide of
the barracks fully fifteen minutes
in conversation with Cnpt. Kahale
wai, and that when Wilcox left the
building he. had the pi liners for lift
field pieces witli him. On the 2-1 111
of June last the King appointed
Knhalewni to be Aido-de-Camp on
his personal staff with tho rank of
The rebellion was planned so
quietly that nearly every foreigner
residing in Honolulu and vicinity
disbelieved the report when first re
ceived and were rendered almost
speechless with surprise when they
saw indisputable signs of the insur
rection. Natives, women and children by
the hundreds, with nil portable bag
gage fled to the mountains early in
the day and remained there through
out the night.
Previous to the first shot Palace
Square was thronged with people of
various nationalities and prominent
positions wero occupied by boys
watching the movements of the re
bels within the Palaco wall. , At the
second shot, which came a few sec
onds after the first, there was a uni
versal stampede of the spectators to
places of safety, and when the gen
eral firing began, the non-combatants
were at a good distance.
During the forenoon the halynids
of the Hag over iho U. S. Consulate
parted and the Stars and Stripes
ignominiously tumbled down. Heavy
guns were then sounding and rifle
shots came in rapid succession. It
being understood that the U. S.
S. Adams' force was to be called
ashore when needed, by the Consu
late flag, a little anxiety was felt
until 'Mr. M. Melnerny hoisledan
American flag overhis building op
posite the Consulate.
When a squad of marines came
ashore in the forenoon and inarched
to the U. S. Legation, cheers wero
given by the townspeople and cour
age was revived.
When the ulue jackets of tho
Adams came ashore with a gatling
gun at dusk, crowds followed ex
pecting them to storm the rebels.
They had no intention of advancing
on the works, however, and went
to quarters at the old Armory for
the night.
When Wilcox was made prisoner
and was being inarched to the
Station House followed by a pro
miscuous throng, some of whom
shouted "hang him," he appeared
calm and walked erect. His voice
trembled a little, however, when he
spoke at the Station House.
One of the most amusing events
of the evening of the rebellion was
told by a Rifleman, who said that
he and others kicked the prostrate
form of a man in the Government
Stables, and getting no response
continued their search for live reb
els; but to their great astonishment,
when they came back to carry off
the dead man, ho was gone, having
been "playing possum."
While the guests were dining at
the Dudeit House down town on
King street, two bullets struck tho
side of the house near one of tho
dining room windows. The missiles
wero recovered and are preserved as
Friday, Aug. 2, 1889j
8 a. m. The U. S. S. Alert and
Uipsio have arrived at Honolulu
from Fanning's Island.
Robert W. Wilcox, the insurgent
leader, is a half canto Hawaiian. Ho
openly proclaimed iu the Legisla
ture, when a niembor some years ago,
that ho was of illegitimate birth and
that a white man was to blamo there
for. Ho is piobahly thiity to thirty
five years of age. His height is all
of six feet, his caningo erect and
bearing giand. With stem Roman
features ho would scarcely ho taken
for a Polynesian anywhere. His com
mand of English is limited, and, as
may ho considered natural from what
follows, his manners uro decidedly
Italian, ho practising tho shrugging
of shoulders, expressive gesticulation,
nud overweening politonesa charac
teristic of tho Latin inccs and their
Under the policy followed by suc
cessive Governments, of affording
special education to Hawaiian youth
abroad, Wilcox, ulthough a grown
inun, was sent from legislative Unties
in 1880 to undeigo a course of train
ing at a royal military ucudomy of
Italy. Thero ho won merits and be
came probably a proficient military
engineer. His period of tuition was,
however, somewhat abbreviated by
his recall iu 1887.
- i,i

xml | txt