Newspaper Page Text
EVENING BUILETIN INDUSTRIAL EDmON: HONOLULU, T. H., 1009.
11 The Mill. Tlie capacity of tlio mill la 900 tons of raw sugar per week, or 1100 tons of cane per diem, with an average extraction of 91 per cent, of sucrose content of cane. Tlio mill Is n Cora, unlit In St. Louis, U. S. A. It is a 9 roller mill with crusher, and revolv ing knives nil direct-connected untl geared to one engine. Tliu boilers are of the Heine tjpo throughout the whole mill plant, seven on trash and five on oil. The total horse IKiwer Is 2380, 23 horsepower being used throughout the factory and refinery for mak ing raw sugar and refining the same; 80 horsepower to run tlio machine shop. In the boiling bouse are the usual modern uiulpmeut for clarlf Ins. defecating ami evaporating the Juice. A large fly-wheel duplex, high duty pumping plant supplies the water tu the water motors running the twcutv-nlno centrifugals, Tlio engine was built by the Hlsdon Iron Works of San Francisco, Cnl., and ro-constructcd to a duplex tjpo by the Honolulu Iron Works Co. There Is nlso u large central fly-wheel a cuum pump, which performs all of the work in the factory, being connected with the sev eral condensers of both the l.llllo evapor ator and tbo thrco Kllby 20-ton vacuum pans and one Dcaly type 35 ton vacuum pan. This pump wns built by the Geo. E. Dow Pumping Engine Co. of Sun Francisco, Cal. Refining Work. There are 20 crystalllzers of the Dock tyie, nil connected with friction clutches on the one-Hue shaft. The centrifugals, as mentioned, are water drhen. Tho capacity of the factory, when working on refinery goods, Is 133 tons refined sugar In 24 hours. 11 Is built fire proof. The most up-to-date labor-saving device lu this factory Is tho sugar-bag conveyor, built and installed by the Wagner Manufacturing Co., of San Francisco. Cal., which handles all of tho sugar when bjggcil, convejlng it from tho sugar room out Into the ware houses, from there onto cross conveyors to different points throughout the entire length of the buildings. Much of the machinery In the mill and factory is run by electrical power, there being motors throughout the different parts of tho factory. The totul horso power of d) names In tho dinnmo room Is In the neighborhood of 250. The machine Bhop Is similar to most of the plants, having the usual quota of lathes, drills, pinners. Bhapcrs and pipe-cutting machinery. In the blacksmith's nml carpenter's shops, largo tools and tho necessary machinery are driven by electrical motor power. The plantation Is lit up with electric lights, tho lighting s)s tern Including the otllce, warehouses, factory, mnchlno shop, blacksmith shop, carpenter shop, merchandise store, hospital, plantation stables, manager's house and two churches. The Company controls 8500 arable acres, C347 acres under cultivation In growing cane. The upper fields nre harvested by sys tem of flumlng. Tho wnter being pumped to the higher ditch lines Is used for flumlng the cane down on the lower contours, where the water Is again caught and used for Irri gation The cane Is Ilunied down on to the cars. The cane grown above 300 feet elevn Hon is harvested in this manner. Ilelow 300 feet It is taken off by a system of portnblo tracks and loaded by hand on tlio cars, where they are dropped down by gravity to the main railroad lines From hero they are hauled to the mill ard by locomotives, A telephone s stein of 50 'phones and miles of wires for same. Is maintained, the plantation having a total length of 11 miles, nil of which Is used in performing dally work. The plantation has four locomotives, the smallest one being 18 tons and the largest 25 tons. They ure of the Ualdwtn saddle tank type. There are 600 cano cars and 60 mud tank and fertilizer cars All of these cars are built for live tons each Thero nio some 414 miles of portublo track switches and curves, and 30 miles of main railroad. On account of the lnrge number of Btignr bugs used by this plantation a Cottrall print ing press wns set up to print tho plantation's trade mark on the bags. Tlio Inside cotton bags arc all sewn at the mill and 2,500 nro turned out dally. Tho Company manufac tures Its own lime for use In the factory and for fertilizing purposes. It Is burnt from coral rock found on the estate. In January, 1907, Mr. Geo. ltoss took the management of the plantation previous to that dale ho was for fifteen enrs manager of Ilakalau plantation. Ho has been con nected with tho sugar Industry In these Islands for twenty-six years. Kollowlng Is a list of the cmplojeos: Head Overseer, Robert A. McKcague; Chief Mill Engineer, A. W. Kccch; Book keeper, Geo. C. Iloss; Cashier, W. S. Wltto; Timekeeper, C. Irwin; Pump Engineer, J F. Darcy; 8ugar Hollers, C. limbic, II. Fred rlchs; Char Houso Foremen, W. N, Peter son, Chas. Copp; Chemist, J. A. Vcrret; Mill Superintendent, F. Trcskow; Store Manager, F. J. Swadllng (Storo Is owned by Davlcs & Co); Steam Plow nnglnecr, U. A. Mnnsbrtdge; Carpenter, C. Gcrtz; Physician, H. D. Cooper. Officers of tho Company: President, John A. Tines:. Vice-President, N. Ohlnndt. Treasurer, S. Hussman Sccrctnry, W. J. Mntson. Directors; J. A. Duck, N. Ohlnndt. Cnpt W. Mntson, S. Sussmnn, M. Ehrman. J. L Koster, W. O. Irwin. Honolulu Agents, W. O. Irwin & Co, Ltd. WAIANAE SUGAR CO. One of the Oldest, Smallest and Most Profit able Properties of Oahu. THE most picturcsquo plantation on the Island of Ouhu Is thut of tho Walu nao Sugar Company situated between Ewa aud Walaluu plantations. Tho Oahu Hal road & Land Co's tract runs by the plantation and mill, but no government road runs near It and tourists get but a momen tary gilmpso of a mill whoso hugo smoke stack rises up from a plnteau surrounded on three sides by steep inountnliis and on tho other side by tho bay of Walanao. Sev en thousand acics in fee simple uro held by the company, of which 1000 nro under culti vation, tho remainder supplying pasture for about five hundred head of cattle. Tho lauds runge from eight to throe hundred feet above sea level nnd nro situated In tho Wala nao and Lualualcl valleys. Nine hundred acres uro grown in the latter, which Is about flvo miles from Walunno village. Tho Walanno Company wm originated hj Judge Wldemann In 1878. At that time La. Iialna cane was planted and has been sue ccssfully grown ever slnco without intermis sion, It being the only vurlety used at tho present day. Cane at Wnlanae does not tassel as much as on most pluntutlons owing to climatic conditions. It ripens in from eighteen to twenty-two months and matures souner upon tlio lowlands than on tho higher elovattons. Cultivation of tlio cuno lands is not an easy matter owing to tho tough and tolling country nnd the rocky nature of tho soil Cultivation Is facilitated lij tho nld of one sot of Fowler's steam tackle and tho oidln nry initio plows so universal throughout the Islands From COO to 1000 pounds of Hack fold's high grudo fertilizers nro used per uccro In n systematic manner. Tho lands to bo fertilized nro irrigated and then two dnys later tho feitlllzer Is placed whllo tho soil Is still wet. In this manner tho desirable properties of the fertilizers nro dissolved nnd Intermingled with tho soil nnd aro not washed away as they would bu should tho fertilizers bo placed upon the soil before lirlgatlon began. Tho lands are irrigated every soveu or ten days. Tho annual rainfall for the lower lands at Walanao does not average more than two Inches, thus necessitating nil elaborate, sjs tern of irrigation, operated at all seasons of the enr. Most of tbo wutcr used for Irri gation purposes Is obtulncd from a pumping stutlon containing three pumps and central ly located. Tho combined capacity of these pumps is 11,000,000 gallons in twenty-four hours, yet 9,010,000 gallons is tho uvcrugo dally output. One Worthlngton pump has a capacity of 5,000,000 gallons per duy, another Worthlngton pump, 2,000,000 gallons, and a Itlsdon duplex pump 4.000.0CO gallons. Wa ter Is pumped against a head of 150 feet and Is conveyed to Luuluulel and other imrtlons of the plantation through n nine mile system of galvanized steel flumes. One small cen trifugal pump has been put In at Mikalua and Is run by gasoline, nnd has a capacity of 1,000,000 gallons dally, but as this Is surface water tho supply is not steady. Various small mountain streams furnUli tho plantation 2,000,000 gallons of water dully, brought down to tho cane lands, a dis tance of nine miles, In an open ditch. Tho pumping Btntton and this ditch supply tho property with all wator used for irrigating the cane. Tho pumps nro driven with elec tricity geneiatcd lit n power station by wu ler brought through a twelve Inch plpo from the mountains. Tho capacity of this iiower station, which Is tho only one now In tho Islands used for this purpose, Is 400 horse power. Two hundred and fifty horsepower is transmitted over a wire thrco miles long to tho pumping station where It Is used. Tly tho use of electrlctty tho pumps nro run 75 per cent cheaper than by steam motive pow- WAIANAE SUGAR MILL This Is One of the Small But Very Rich Properties en the Island of Oahu. or. Tho principal cost of operation Is tbo labor. Several tons of sugar per acre or sixty tons of cane, Is tho average output. The 1908 crop netted 6C8G tons of sugar. The estimate for !j'J Is about the same. Six hundred laborers, most of whom work under the day labor sjstem, aro employed. The usual nationalities, minus Porto Itlcans, me lu evidence. Forty Hawallans, work for the place In the capacity of lunas, team sters, dltchmcn, etc. The new and modern S2xG0 nine-roller mill, driven by two sepa rate Hamilton Corliss engines, uud having it cupaclt) of u tons of iuw sugar In twenty four hours, wns erected by the Honolulu Iron Works and Is nn exemplary model of that film's hnndlcraft. The mill and bolting houso machinery comprise the following list. Three Hono lulu Iron Works vacuum pans, combined ca pacity 23 tons; one Honolulu Iron Works qundruplo effect, capacity 120,000 gallons in twent-four hours; eight 20x42 Mlrless, Tail At Watson centrifugals; four mud piesses, one Honolulu Iron Works beater, twelve settling tanks, four boilers aud tho bugusse-burnliig furnaces. J. M. Duwsett uud O. N. Wilcox aro the principal owners of tho Walanao Company, Ltd. F. Meyer has been manager of this com pany for tho past iiiuo tears aud wus llrst emplojed upon tho Walukeu plantation at Illto twent eight jeurs under C. C. Ken nedy, the present manager of Walakea. The names of others euiplo)cd at Walanao follow: II, Anderson, Head Lunn: J. Schulinelster, Sugar Duller and Chemist; J M. Perry, Ac countant. The otllccrs of tlio company follow: fl, N. Wilcox. President. J. O. Carter, Vice-President. J M. Dowsctt, Secretary and Treasurer. II. Holmes, Auditor. J. M. Dow sett Is the Honolulu agent of tho company. WAIMANALO SUGAR CO: A PLANTATION which tho casual travel ler seldom visits, It being situated far from the beuten path, on tho wind ward side of Oahu, is the Wulmnnalo Plan tation. In 1877 John A. Cummins orgnnlzed tho Wulmnnalo Sugar Co. and was tho principal owner until 1893. Tlio Company's land hold lugs compriso G000 acres and ure situated be tween the precipitous palls of tho Koolau mountains and the sen, in the District of Kooluupoko. One third Is pasture, one third forest, and one-third cano lands. Luhulnn cano was first grown at Wulmnnalo but at tho present writing It only thrives on the verj best land, two-thirds of tho cane grown now being Yellow Caledonia and Hose Ham boo. Irrigation in Summer. Irrigation Is carried on at Wnlmanalo, us upon all Oahu plantations, but is found nee essary during the summer months only. Tho larger portion of tho 4,000,000 gallons of wator used dully for Irrigation is obtained from Mnunawlll lanch, several miles awu through a box Hume, ditch nnd tunnel. Two small pumping plants, on a situated near at lagoon upon the place and having a capacity of 2,000,000 gallons dally, and another with a enpacity of 1,000,000 for tho same length of time, located near tho mill, aro also op crated during tho very dry seasons und pro vided tho wator Is available Moun tain water In small qu intltles Is obtained from other sources than thoso mentioned. Tho yearly precipitation of rain at Wal manalo since 1890 is given below: Inches. Inches. Inches. 1890.... 97.39 1895.... 49 05 1900.... 44.33 1891.... 20 00 1895.... 41.52 1901.... 59.1 J 1892. ...38.34 1897....22.2G 1903. ...28 31 1893. ...4501 1898. ...41.24 1904. ...90-73 1891... .34.80 1899. ...3852 1905, . 33.14 190G....44O3 1907....G0.25 1908, ...35 83 If this rain wero ovenly distributed Irriga tion would bo unnecessary, but during oni' j oar sixty Inches of ruin fell In two months and In tho summer months when It wus raoBt needed practically no ruin full wiib recorded. Anothor curious feature Is tho temperature which varies moro than nny other location on Oahu. In Juno of one yeur tho thermo meter registered 92 dog. und In February It went down to 51 deg. but tho uvcrugo tern poraturo Is 75 deg. Plowing and cultivating Is performed In tho Bamo manner ns in other plantations of this group nnd considerable fertilizer lins to bo used. Tho sugar output for 1808 was 4242 tons, tho cstlmuto for 1909 being somewhat Iobb. Three hundred and fifty day laborers are tniplojed and about twenty companies grow cano near tho foothills on the profit sharing sjstem. Twelve mllci'of railroad track, sii plled with 100 curs und three locomotives are used to handle tlio crop. The mill was erected In 1878, and al though of tin old Scotcli mnko, bus proved very efficient, nnd while new machinery lias been Installed from tlmo to time, tho ortglunl mill building remains Intact. At first hut thno rollers wero used In 1887, two more rolls were added, followed later by a three roller mill, making eight rolls In nil. As they uro now arranged the new three roller mill nets us n crusher, No. 2 mill Is the original three-roller mill, und the two rolls aro placed last. No. 1 mill is driven by a GOhorsciKiwer Corliss engine, made by tho Fulton Iron Works of San Francisco. No. 2 mill Is driven by a 75 horsepower Scotch en gine made h Mlrless, Tult & Watson, while a 50 horsepower Putnam engine drives No. 3 mill. Six 30 Inch Scotch centrifugals, tbo ma chine shops driven by a plain slide-valve engine, thrco sets of mud presses, two vac uum pimps, low grndo molasses tanks, sugar storeroom nnd three hollers are located upon tho ground floor or tho mill One six foot triple effect one ten tun vacuum pan, one t line ton vacuum pan, six clarlllers with ca pacity of 50) gallons each, nnd six settling tanks of tho same capacity us tbo clarlllers constitute the principal boiling house ma chinery. Twenty tons of sugar In (en hours Is the capacity of the mill, Tho finished product, when bagged, Is con veyed from tho mill to tho company's land ing In covered curs, whero It Is placed upon scows nnd loaded directly Into tho hold of tho Btenmer J, A Cummins, which Is owned by tho company Tho Cummins Is a well built llttlo Btenmer and handles about 85 tons of freight nt each trip. Sho carries all of tho plantation's sugar and freight and a majority of tho rlco and other freight com ing in nnd going nut of tho district. George Chalmers, who has been a cane planter for twenty-two jearB, has success fully managed tho Wulmnnalo Sugur Com pany for fifteen soars, Tho principal em ployes under him nro: John Chalmers, Head Luna. A Irvlno, Accountant. W. McGowun, Sugnr Holler. John Ilngle, Engineer, James Nlcnl, Blacksmith, Wm. G Irwin &. Co nro tho Honolulu ngents. Tho officers of tho Company nro: W. O. Irwin, President. W M. Olffnrd, Vlco-Presldent. II, M Whltnoy, Treasurer. W. L. Hopper, Secretary. D, O. May, Auditor. i ,i 4 A