EVENING BULLETIN INDUSTRIAL EDITION: HONOLULU, T. H., 1009.
and rainy district that the supply of water
can always ho depended upon.
Tho following table accurately shows tho
amount of water received by tho plantation
through ItH three Irrigation ditches during
the 12 months ending December 31st, 190S:
Average Dal. Average Gal.
Name of Ditch. Per Day. Per Month.
Haiku 25,116,885 7C6.0CG.000
Lowrle . 44.853.279 1,368,025.000
Walhee 19,505,540 69C.749.1C7
Totals 89,535,710 2.730,839,167
Total delivery for 12 months ending De
cember 31st, 1908:
Tho Pumping Plants. In addition to tho
89,535,710 gallons of water received dally
through tho three ditches, 7 pumping plants,
halng a combined capacity of 81,000,000 gal
lons in 24 hours, nro conveniently situated
at various points upon the place. Water Is
lifted by these- pumps to an average head of
220 feet. California crude oil being the fuel
burned for generating tho power.
The dally individual capacity of tho 7
pumping plants, over which 1'. F. Delnert
has supervision Is given hero? No. 1 Btatlou
17,000,000 gallons; No. 2, 4,000,000 gallons;
No. 3, 7,000,000 gallons. No. 4, 10,000.000 gal
lons; No. 5, 23,000,000 gallons; No. 1, Klhcl,
10,000,000 gallons; No. 3, Klhcl, 10,000,000
The pumps nro operated only when the
ditch water Is Insufficient for plantation pur
poses. Surplus water from tho tao stream Is used
by tho II. C. & S. Co. In payment for which
the Walluku Sugar Company has the use of
certain lands at Walluku and Walkapu be
longing, to the first named company.
Variety of Kalnfall. A comparison of tho
following tnhle giving tho relative monthly
inlnfall for the months ending December
31st, 1908 at Puuncne, tho plantation head
quarters, and at Kallua, near tho conduit In
tho liana district, will. prove Interesting:
Month. Puuncne. Knllua.
January 0.21 4.12
February 1.25 10.13
March 1.57 5.92
April 0.07 12.45
May 0.00 8.03
Juno 0.00 8. CI
July 0.14 9.87
August 0.00 13.49
September 0.43 10.89
October 0.08 5.90
November 1.55, 7.81
December 1.19 ' 12.CS
Totals C.49 115.93
A preceding table with tho ono Just given
Indicate that 210.87 Inches of rain fell at
Keanao for the 12 months preceding Decem
ber 31st, 1908, and that only C.49 inches fell
at Puuncne during tho same period, thus
showing tho dilTerent weather conditions
piovalllng within a radius of a few miles.
Tho average dally temperature at three
places upon tho plantation proper aro also
given for tho 12 months ending December
Placo. Maximum. Minimum. Average.
Puuneno .... 85 CI 74
Camp Ono ..82 07 74
Camp Soven.. 87 67 77
Mr. Baldwin's Career.
Mr. II. P. Unldwln who Is now president
of the compnny and managing director has
had chargo of tho plantation slnco February
1st, 1902, and Is also head of tho well known
firm of Alexunder & Ilaldwln, doing business
In Now York City, San Francisco and Hono
lulu. Mr. Baldwin first became engaged In
cane culture at Lahalna, Maul, forty-seven
years ago and has been actively Identified
with the Industry ever slnco. Ho remained
ono and one-half years at I.alialna and then
went to Walheo, where he remained for
seven years, becoming head lunn upon that
old plantation, which was then managed by
8 T, Aloxander, who afterward becamo Mr.
Baldwin's partner In tho firm of Alexnnder
After leaving Walhee, Mr. Baldwin went
to Pala In 1869, where ho became a cane
planter and the organizer of the I'nla Plan
tation, which recently was merged Into tho
new Maul Agricultural Company, tho stock
of which Is now controlled by members of
tho Aloxander & Baldwin families. Shortly
after Mr. Baldwin arrived at Pala, S. T.
Aloxander becamo manager of tho adjoining
Haiku plantation. Mr. Alexander gnvo up
this management of Haiku In the 70's and
took up his lcsldenco In Oakland, California,
II. P. Baldwin then becoming manager of
Haiku and Pala.
Mr, Baldwin resigned from activo manage
ment of the II. C. & S. Co. In April, 190C, his
son, Mr, F, F. Baldwin taking his place.
World's Largest 8ugar Plantation.
Tho Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Com
pany controls the largest sugar-cano pro
ducing plantation In the world The huge
steel mill building, erected at Puuncne In
1900-02, 300x460 feet Is not the largest In
the world, nor cIocb tho factory turn out
mure sugur annually than any other planta
tion In tho world, however It turns out more
sugar annually than any plantation In these
Two large 12-rollcr mills, ono mado by the
Honolulu Iron Works Company, Honolulu,
and ono by the Fulton Iron Works Company,
St. Louis, and each preceded by a Krajewskl
crusher, and Smith revolving cane knhes,
constttuto tho crushing plant. Both mills
aro 34x78, ono of them being a new one, n
portion of the other having been removed
from Sprcckelsvlllo when tho old mill wus
abandoned. They nro fitted with modern
Improvements, the hydraulic and water
Jacketed bearings being a spcclul feature.
All of tho cano la brought to the mill in
railroad cars and Is dumped upon tho two
endnlcss cnrrlcrs and fed thenco through the
revolving knives nnd crushers to tho milt
proper. Tho bagasse, or wasto from the cano
Is fed automatically to the furnaces which
aro equipped to burn crude oil If necessary
There Is room In this enormous building for
another 12-rollcr mill should the Increase In
crop require It.
In the boiler house, fourteen multitubular
boilers 7x20 feet each aro set In two rows
upon opposite sides of the room. Space for
bIx now bollors has been left. Besides ba
gasse and oil tho boilers consume wnstu mo
lasses. Draught for tho boilers Is obtained
through two smoke- stacks, each 12 V4 feet In
diameter and 180 feet high.
Tho first nine rollers and crusher of No.
1 mill aro driven by a Hamilton-Corliss en
glno of 760 horsopowcr. Tho last thrco rolls
of this mill aro driven by a 250 horsepower
engine. No. 2 mill Is driven by seperato en
gines In a manner similar to No. 1.
Juice extracted by tho mills Is pumped up
stairs by two Guild and Garrison pumps to
three liming tanks of 3500 gallons capacity
each, where It Is treated with lime nnd
measured. It is then pumped from liming
tanks through Juice hcntcrH to n Bet of
twenty-eight Intermittent settling tanks and
allowed to stand until tho dirt settles. Tho
clear supernatant Julco Is then drawn off
and flows by graWty through u set of ten
mechanical filters, after which it flows by
gravity to tho evaporators. Tho mud Is
taken from tho bottom of tho settling tnnks
to another set of ten settling tanks, whero
it is treated with lime and then pumped
through filter press, which separates tho
clear Julco from tho mud. Tho mud is sent
to tho fields whero it Is used for fertilizer.
Tho Julco Is pumped upstairs and unites
with tho clear Julco from tho settling tnnks,
both being sent to tho evaporators.
Tho two evaporators of tho I.llllo typo each
have a rated capacity to evaporate 450,000
gallons of Julco In 24 hours. Tho apparatus
Is set In quadrupla effect und works with
exhaust steam alone. Tho Julco upon leav
ing tho ovnporators Is only about 30 per cent,
of tho amount which enters them nnd now
Is known as syrup and Is ready for tho vac
Four vacuum pans of tho Kllby mnko havo
a capacity of 35 tons of dry sugar each nt
ono striko and one of tho Deoley typo has u
capacity of 25 tons. Tho syrup, after hav
ing been boiled, goes to tho centrifugals, of
which there aro twenty-eight 40-Inch, mado
by tho American Tool and Muchino Com
pany of Boston and water driven.
No, 1 sugur und first molasses Is tho re
BUlt obtained from tho centrifugals. Tho
No. 1, or A, sugar, Is bagged and sown by u
machlna which Is tho first of tho kind In use
In Hawaii. These machines, of which thero
aro two, aro very Ingenious contrivances, onu
man alone operating a mnchlne nnd sowing
three bagB of sugar per minute, whito two
men aro required to tuko the bags away after
they havo been sown.
Tho first molusses, which Is tho result of
drying No. 1 sugar, Is taken back Into pro
cess and put Into crystalllzers, of which there
nro twelve Within tho crystalllzers it Is
oporatcd upon for about six days by stir
rers and then dried In the centrifugals, whero
It becomes No. 2 sugar and second molasses.
Tho No. 2 sugar Is worked over again Into
No. 1 sugar while tho second molasses, if of
a poor quality, Is used as fuel or mixed with
cano tops and fed to the stock. Second mo
lasses If of a sufficient quality, is given n
Bpvclal treatment and Is, Anally dried In n
bpcclal set of eight 30-Inch centrifugals and
becomes No, 1 sugar.
Tho capacity of the mill Is from 2400 to
2700 tons of cano per twenty-four hours, de
pending upu-i tho quality of cano. Tho sugar
output is from 275 to 375 tons In twenty-four
Tho system of mill control Is complete.
IloportB of weight of cane, sugur extraction
sugar recovered, nnd sugar tests, are mado
up dally und submitted to tho superintendent
of tho factory.
Tho chemical laboratory, superintendent's
office mnchlno shops, blacksmith shop, car
penter shop, nnd tho sugar warehouse ca
pacity 95,000 bags, are all within the one
sugar factory building.
Twenty labor camps nro situated at various
points on tho cstnto.
"Puuneno" Hospital. Thn II. C. & S. Co.
in addition to its many other Departments,
maintains nt Sprcckelsvlllo a very good
Plnntntlon Hospital, with beds for Borne 60
ward patients, (Plantation laborers) and
three private rooms for accommodation of
tho whlto employees. Tlieru will be found u
very good operating room In the llospttul
fully equipped for any kind of surgical work
and nlso nu X-ltay room with X-llay appara
tus and Finson light, so that accurate diagno
sis of fractures Is made possible, and treat
ment of certain forms of skin diseases, not
otherwise amenable to treatment, cut! thus
be successfully carried out. Tho patients nro
very well looked after, thero being three
while nurses uttnehed to the Hospital, In
nddttlon to u number of other assistants, und
the results obtained nro excellent
The Hospital Is nicely situated un n Hllght
elevation, where It gets the full benellt of the
cool sea breeze, and tho grounds nro largo
enough to give tho patients plenty of chance
for fresh-air nnd sunshine.
MAUI AGRICULTURAL COMPANY
One of Maui's Most Profitable Sugar Estates Made Up
By a Combine of Several Companies. -Elaborate
And Expensive Irrigation System.
THIS Maul Agricultural Company was
formed In January, 1904, and Is a con
solidation of tho old Pala Plantation
Company and tho Haiku Sugar Com
pany, with tho new Knllallnul Plnntntlon
Company, Kula Plantation Company, Maka
wao Plantation Company, Pulehu Planta
tion Company and tho Knllua Plantation
Company, Lately tho mill Itself was taken
over by tho Central Milling Company, tho
stock of which Is entirely owned by the com
panies forming tho combine Tho last five
1 - I
Sugar Mill of the Maul Agricultural Company at Pala, Maul.
companies control 5,000 acres of land, one
half of which Is planted to cane.
Upon tbo Haiku division of tho Maul
Agricultural Company thero are 10,000 acres
of land nnd upon Pala division 12,000 acres,
which, with tho 5,000 acres of now lands re
cently acquired, will give tho new company
an approximate total of 33,000 acres. Of
this, about 12,500 acres aro adapted to thn
successful cultivation of sugar cano. A ma
jority of tho remainder is forest and pas
ture lands. In addition to the plantation
properties tho company owns tho Haiku and
Grovg ranches, whero 2,000 bead or cattle
and sovoral hundred bond of horses and
mules aro kept.
Tho headquarters of tho Maul Agricultural
Company aro located nt Pala, ten miles from
Cano wns first grown at Haiku about fifty
years ago, whllo S. T. Alexander, II. P, Bald
win organized tho old Pain Plnntntlon com
pany and planted tbo first cano entirely of
the Labalna variety. Lahalna Is tho prin
cipal vnrloty grown nt tho present tlmo, It
seemingly thrives bettor than Yollow Cale
donia, which is so extensively grown upon
tho Islnndb of Hawaii and Kauat.
Crop for This Year.
Tha 1908 sugar output was 22,800 tons.
Tho estimate for 1909 Is 25,000 tons. This
places tho Maul Agricultural Company
among tho leading plantations of the Hawai
Klpened cane Is conveyed from tho field
to tho mill by tho ordinary V flumes nnd
by cars. There are about ten miles of rail
road supplied with 500 cars and two 25-ton
Baldwin locomotives and ono 18-ton Porter
The officers of tho Hawaiian Commercial
& Sugnr Company are:
Hon. II. P. Baldwin, President.
Albert .Meyer, Vice-President.
Kmll Tschuml, becretnry.
Daniel Mejcr, Treasurer.
P. F. Baldwin, Manager.
Directors: Hon. II. P. Baldwin, W. Al.
Alexander, K. M. Walsh, Albert Meyer, Hit
ward Pollltz, F. II. Anderson, It. T. ltolph.
Honolulu Agents, Alexander & Baldwin,
Ltd.; Honolulu, San Francisco, Seattle and
Head Overseer, James I), Thomson; Chief
Mill Engineer, William Senrby; Bookkeeper,
William P, Walsh; Assistant Bookkeepers,
B, Williams and C. C. Campbell; Timekeep
ers, II. W. Poguo Camp V DIv., F. II. Hay
selden, Jr. Camp I Division; Sugnr Boiler,
William Lougher, Assistant Sugnr Boiler,
A. Audrndu; Chemist. II. E. Savage; Assist
ant Chemist, C Mclllnger; Store Manager,
John W. Wrenn; Carpenter O (1 Murusky;
Physician, Dr Frank K. Sawyer
Great Water Ditch.
Tho entire area planted to cano Is under
a complete system of Irrigation. About one
half tho land lies abavo tho pumping range
and is Irrigated by tbo old and new llama
kua ditches, both of which aro practically
controlled by tho company. Tho now llama
kua Ditch, tho Nahlku, Koolau and Klhcl
ditches, all operated In conjunction, extend
from Klhcl to Mnknplpl gulch In tho Nahlku
lands a dlstanco of nearly fifty miles, and
supply the company with CO.000,000 gallons
of wuter per day, tho capacity being 80,000,
000 gallons. Of tbo boveral Irrigation sys
tems of great magnitude which uru in opera
tion in the iBlands this Is by far tho turgor
and most uxpenslvu. Tho now Hnuiakua
ditch cost $310,045, tho Kooluu ditch $440,
000, while the total cost of tbo complete ex
tension of the ditch system wus about J800,
00Q. Tho averago annual rainfall at Hamakua
poko from 1900 to 1905 was 56.20 inches,
while tho averago for five years beginning
In 1890 was but 35 inches. Tho rainfall In
1907 averaged 52.69 Inches.
In addition to tho vast amount of wator
suppllod by tho Irrigation ditches four
Frasor & Chalmers pumping plants with a
smaller centrifugal pump, furnish tho plan
tation with 20,000,000 gallons of water per
day. With tho ditch running at Its full
capacity and with thoso pumps working, tho
plantation would recclvo over 100,000,000
gallons In twenty-four hours.
Situated at convenient points upon tho
property aro reservoirs for storing surplus
wator which havo a combined capacity of
approximately 300,000,000 gallons.
Tho sugar factory of the Maul Agricultural
Company Is located at Pala, whero a largo
now steel mill structuro has been erected.
Tho main building of which Is 120x240. Tho
material for tho building was furnished by
the American Brldgo Co. on plans mado by
tho plantation people Another building
00x120 contains tho clarifying apparatus and
tho machlno Bhops. Tho steel Btnglng for
pan and crystallzlng housa Is In still another
new building of 60x90 dimensions.
Ono notablo fcaturo of tho mill Is that tho
machine shops, clarlflers, quadruple effects,
xml | txt