Newspaper Page Text
EVENING BULLETIN INDUSTRIAL EDITION: HONOLULU, T. H 1009.
15 ,v imiiHi-T " ""'- ' Principal Street In Kahulul, a thriving 8hlpplng Port and Railroad Centre on the Island of Maul, win National Bank and Masonic Tern pie Bulldlngi In the Foreground. The Bald- cryBtalizors, two nine roller mills and Alter Iircss nro all upon tho ono main mill floor tho vacuum pans nlono being upon tho floor above. Tho centrifugals, boiling houso pumps, boilers and tho largo sugar room aro on the cemented ground floor. Tho steel staging for crystalizcrs, pans and filter presses was furnished by Mllllkcn Ilros. of Now York. Adjoining tho sugar room n largo sugar warchouso has been built 74x200 feet, and an extension Is being built to It this year. Tbo Kahulul Ilallroad Company has built a branch road to tho mill which enables tho finished product to go direct from the bag ging room to tho Bugnr room, wbenco it is transported by rail to Kahulul and shipped to Its destination In tho American-Hawaiian steamers. Cano coming from tho fields In cars is unloaded at tho mill by two four-chain (Ircgg unloadcrs direct upon tbo two endless cano carriers, which convey It direct to tho crush ers and on through tho two nlno roller mills. Tho unloaders aro assisted by a tilted plat form which lifts tho cars to a proper auglo to facllitato unloading tho cano. Tho mill yards havo been enlarged so that 600 cane cars may stand near tho mill at ono tlmo. In tho Julco weighing, recording Ilowo scales, furnished by E. O. Hall & Son are In use. Among other machinery In the mill and boiling houso, tho following aro tho most Important: Doming liming tanks, Honolulu Iron Works julco boaters, Intermit tent open settling tanks, ono Honolulu Iron Works triplo effect, capacity 100,000 gallons in 24 hours, ono triplo effect (same capacity) with a 10 foot fourth effect, making a double quadruple effect so piped that cither triplo effect can bo operated Independently, giving u combined capacity of 200,000 gallons In 24 hours, ono 10-foot Honolulu iron Works vacuum pan now used as a crystalllzer, ono now 12-foot Honolulu Iron Works pan, capac ity 35 tons of dry sugar which is used for first sugars and supplemented by a 10 foot Deely pan, which, with an 8 foot molasses pan, complete tho boiling houso equipment. Fourteen open unjackctod crystalllzors, capacity 750 cubic feet each, aro a foaturo of the mill. Six now Watson & Laidlaw 40 inch water-driven centrifugals havo been Installed for No. 1 sugars and eight 40 Inch Weston centrifugals of tho American typo and fitted with solid splndlo ball bearings, which wero formerly bolt-driven, nro now driven by wa ter pow cr as aro thoso of Scotch make Low grade sugars aro convoyed from tho centrifugals to vacuum pons by sugar ele vators. First sugars aro carried to bagging bin by belt convoycr of tho Jcffroy typo in stead of screw conoyors formerly In vogue Tbo steam generating plant has been re cently mado mora efficacious by tho addition of three 7x20 foot roturn multitubular boil ers which wero mado by tho Honolulu Iron Works. Four old Galloway tubular tandem combination bollors which nro still In use glvo a total of seven bollors. A prodigious steel self-supporting smoko stack, tbo shell of which was furnished by Mllllken Tiros., has been erected at the mill and looms up predominantly ImproHslve to a height of 150 feet. A laboratory cottage has been built near tho mill to prevent jar ring of tho delicate balances. Tho well equipped machine shops havo been enlarged by tho addition of a 28 Inch by 20-foot latho and ono Amorican 30-Inch radial drill press with a 3Gx3Cx8 foot metal planor. A No. 6 Bandry bolt-driven power hammer enables heavy Bteam plows, etc., to be readily handled. Tho total output of this largo sugar factory Is 150 tons of raw sugar in twenty-four hours. Schools and Homes. In addition to tho public school at Pain the children of tho employes hnvo a kinder garten run by tho plantation, and a school houso and cottage for tho teacher, has also been built by thu management, while the town of I'ala supplies the teacher. During tho month of September 1908, tho company employed 17C skilled and 2400 un skilled laborers and 70 contractors; making a total of 2G46 men. A houso and ono ncro tract of land Is given to nny laborer desiring it who will llvo upon it for a term of three )cars. Several I'ortugueso havo taken ad vantage of this offer, and havo neat homes of their own. II. A. Daldwln has managed tho Immense properties of tho Maul Agricultural Company since Its Inception In January, 1904. Prev ious to this tlmo Mr. Daldwln was manager of tho Haiku Sugar Company plantation which Is now absorbed In tho larger company. Delow Is given a list of thoso holding oth er responsible positions upon tbo placo: Frank Alexander, Assistant Manager; Sam Hocking, Head Luna Pain Division; II. W Itlce, Head Luna Knlnm Division; C. C. Krumbaar, Head Luna Hnmakuapoko Divi sion; 1' F I'eck, Head Ltiuu Knluanut Dlvl sion; W. 8. Nlcoll, Dookkecpor; W. D. Lowell, Chief Engineer; J. P. Foster, Head Sugar Holler and Chemist; F. P. Itosecrnns Manager Pala Store; W. F. Mosrman', Man ager Hnmakuapoko Store, ngcr Hnmakuapoko Btoro; II. P. Hoblnson, Head Carpenter. Each one of tho soven companies com prising tho Maul Agricultural Company has Its officers. Tbo names of tho board of man agers governing tho whole concern follow: II. P. Daldwln, President. S. M. Damon, Vlco President. J. P. Cooke, Treasurer W. O. Smith, Secretary. J. Wnterhotitto nnd C II Dickey Alexander & Daldwln, Limited, nro tho Honolulu and San Francisco agents of the Maul Agricultural Company. War has built at Its own expense and without assistance from cither tho Federal or Terri torial Governments a breakwater and dredg ed n basin costing upwards of $125,000.00 for tho purposo of giving safo anchorago for sailing vessels and steamers that ply to this port, which now ranks next to Honolulu In Importance. Tho total exports and Imports at this port will total upwards of 150,000 tons per annum. It Is a port of call for tho American Hawaiian S S. Co's. steamers, somo of them over 12,000 tons burden. Tho Union Oil Co's. steamers, tho Matson Navi gation Co's. steamers, nnd the Inter Island S. N. Co's. steamers nil call regularly with freight and passengers at Kahulul Exten sions to tho Ilallroad nro planned, which when completed, will open up a vnst form ing country to tho East of Pala, but there arc serious engineering problems to bo solv ed beforo this work Is completed. Tho build ing of wharves and shipping facilities at this port nro also planned, nnd when com pleted will largely Incrcnso tho present load ing capacity, and will cxpcdlta tho despatch of ships. The 100 horsepower steel tug Lcsllo Dald wln Is a part of tho company's completo equipment. This tug Is cnpablo of deliver ing 5,000 gallons of water an hour in case of fire or for ship purposes. It Is gear-rlggcd for pumping leaky vessels. Is fitted with searchlights for night work, and can operato In four feet of water If necessary. Tho tug Is used for towing vessels and tho sugar lighters of tho harbor. The town of Kahulul has been laid out In streets, nnd many improvements have been established, so that old residents, ro- A Pineapple Field at Haiku, Jamci Llndtay, Owner of This Field Is Secur ing a Phenomenal Crop From Thlt Small piece of Land. KAHULUI RAILROAD COMPANY This Is ono of the oldest It not tho oldest Ilallroad corporation In tbo Territory of Ha waii, having beon started by T. W. Hobron, W. II. Dalley and W. O. Smith In tho year 1881, under chnrter granted by II. A. P. Carter, then Minister of tho Interior for tho Kingdom of Hawaii. Tho property of tho corporation was afterwards acquired by tho Wilder S. S. Company's Interests, from whoso hands it passed into tho possession of tho Hawaiian Commercial & Sugar Co. about tho year 1900. Tho Kahulut Ilallroad has al ways been a considerable factor In tho prog ress of Enst Maul. Tho Company controls tho water front of Kahulul Hoibor and Day nnd under prcmlt from tho Secretnry of BBBBBBBBBBCfcnBHBBkA flfc J. N. S. WILLIAMS Superintendent of Kahulul Railway. turning after an absence of years, scarcely know tho plnco. The princlp.il olllca of tho Ilallroad Com pany Is ot Kahulul. Thu following tint tho officers: Hon. II. P. Il.ildwln, President nnd Gen eral Munugor. Jnmus II. Castle, 1st VIco-Prcsldcnt, W. II. Costlo. 2nd Vlco-Prcsldent. J. P Cooko, Treasurer. E. E. Paxtou, Secretary. D. II. Murdoch. Auditor. J N. S Williams, Superintendent. Messrs, Alexander & Daldwln of Hono lulu, San Francisco, Now York nnd Seattle oro tho Agents. Tho staff at Kahulul con sists of tho following named gentlemen, J. N. S. Williams. Superintendent; F. H. lions, Merchandlso Department; It. N. Cor batey, Cnshler; Jas. A. Hattio, Asst. Hook kcopcr; T. D. Sklnnor, Dookkeopcr Mor chandlso Dopt.; C. D. Klnny, Trairic Master; W. S. Mountcastlo, Freight Agent; John Makahlo, Wharf Foreman; John Vnsconcol los, Master Mechanic; C. Lnrscn, MaBtor Carpenter. Covcrnmcnt Pilot and Harbormaster sta tioned at Kahulul: Captain E. II. Parker. Federal flovernment Officers connected with tho Port ot Kahulut nro: Deputy Collector of Customs, W. O. Aiken. Quarantlno Officer, Dr. John Weddlck. Assistant Postmaster, A. J. Gossln. Territorial flovernment Officers, connected with tho Port of Kahulul Pilot and Harbor master, Capt. E. J, Parkor. Kahulul Wharf and Harbor, Showing Breakwater and Dredger at Work. ''iM'almmiliMAmmthlit. t Ji'JlWfr wm Wl . il-l. " .