Newspaper Page Text
' if. ' EVENING BULLETIN INDUSTBIAL EDITION: HONOLULU, T. H., 1909. i9 mill situs ate repair sbopg, blacksmith and carpenter shops, roundhouse, machine shops, laboratory and several large warehouses. The laboratory Is a thoroughly equipped affair, whero three chemists and three as sistants are kept constantly busy nnalyilng cane delivered to mill and keeping chemical control of all sugar house work, so as to reduce manufacturing losses to n minimum. The machine shops keep six machinists In constant employment, Ico Is manufactured on the grounds for the convenience of employees. The capltul stock of Ewa Plantation Is $3,000,000. George F. llenton ling been manager of the Ewn Plantation for ten years and has been Identified with the, sugar industry for 32 years. Ho was born in tho United States. Those holding the most important places upon tho plantation aro: II. a. Iloswcll, Chief Engineer of Mill. A. 8. Guild, Head Bookkeeper. Thos. O'Dowda, Head Sugar Boiler. A, II, McKeovcr, Head Overseer, W. A. Ilamsay, Chief Engineer of Pumps. V. E Greenfield, Head Chemist. C. It. McLean, Ilcsldcnt Physlclnn. P. A. Swift. Storekeeper. I). Douglas, Head Blacksmith. J. H. Shand, Head Carpenter. Geo. Oldlng. Head Water Overseer. The officers of tho Company arc: K. D. Tenney, President, C. M. Cooke, Vice-President. C. II. Athcrton, Treasurer. T. II. Petrlo, 8ecrotnry. T. It. Koblnson, Auditor, E. D. Tenney, J. II. Castle, Chns. M. Cooke, Chas. H. Athorton, T. II. Petrlo, Directors. Castlo & Cooke, Ltd., Honolulu agents. Homestead Cottages on Ewa Plantation, Oahu, OAHU SUGAR COMPANY, LIMITED The Plantation of Oahu Sugar Co., Ltd., at Waipahu Ranks Among the Best on the Islands. The lands of the Oahn Sugar Company aro on tho lower slopes of tho Wulanno and Koo luu mountains, extending from sea-level up to CS0 feet. Nearly all the soil Is of do composed volcanic rock anil contains much Iron. In enrly times these lands wcro used for cattlo grazing and this added to tho rich fertility. Tho Company wns duly Incorpor ated In 1897, and at present haB an area of 13,000 acres, 8240 or which Is at present planted to cane. Lahulnn cane Is grown al most exclusively, tho Yellow Caledonia not proving as satisfactory In this soil, Upon Kord'B Islnnd In Pearl Harbor, aro planted 320 ncres of cana which Is transported by ferry to tho landing and from thenco to mill by railroad. Tho total sugar output for 1908 was 35,320 tons and tho estimate for 1909 Is 32,000 tons. Cano Is planted at elevation ranging from 15 to 550 feet above sea level. Plowing Is done with three sets of Fowler's English pious, which turn the soil over to an aver age depth of from 15 to 18 Inches. One large plow has been put in which cuts to n depth of 3G inches. The system of cultivation Is Identical with that of tho adjoining planta tions, Tho method of transporting cano from field to mill Is over thirty-eight miles of main and lateral railroad, tho rolling stock consisting of 450 cane cars of about four- flUlfcni' -fliiaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitt ii4 ton capacity each nnd five Baldwin locomo tives. The necessity for the above length of tiuckagc can be more fully understood when It is known Hint the plantation lauds extend twelve miles with nn averago width of eight miles. Tho Company furnishes work In the mill and In tho fields for over 2000 men. As the average annual rainfall Is only fiom eighteen to twenty Inches, no depend ence Is plnced upon moisture from that source, but from a system of artesian wells and n limited amount of tunnel work in tho mountains. The plantation has thirty-six reservoirs, ranging In capacity from 3,000,000 ton water-driven centrifugals; six 30-lnch Weston centrifugals, also water driven; one 50 ton and one 25-ton vacuum pans, both of German make; three Inrge crystulllzers, capacity 1250 cubic feet each; 22 small crys talllzers, capacity C25 cubic feet; twelve boilers, two of which burn oil; and eleven gravitation snnd filters worked by one man, constitute the principal mill nnd boiling house machinery. An electrical engine supplies power for oH'rntlng tho carpenter, blacksmith and ma chine shops, this being n prominent feature. Cano brought to the mill In railroad cars 7-' Laborer's Cottage on Oahu Plantation Waipahu, Island of Oahu. Typical Vacuum Pan In Mill of Oahu Sugar Company, gallons to 25,000,000 gallons each. Eight large and six smaller pumps furnish 80,000, 000 gallons of water per duy while from three to five millions gallons nru furnished dally through ditches extending to Klpnpn, Knlena, Wulkaluua and Wnlawa. ThlB sys tem of mountain water Irrigation constitutes 251.000 feet of ditches nnd 10,000 feet of tunnels, and is about sixty miles In length, furnishing all portions of the plantation with water with tho exception of Ford's Islnnd, which Is Irrigated by artesian water. Ono shaft pump 284 feet under ground Is In opera tion. . Twenty-flvo horses nnd 125 mules perform necessary plantation work. During tho season of 1908, 8 tons of sugar per acre was tho average output. The goncrnl headquarters of tho plantation nro situated at Waipahu, where has been erected a thoroughly modern mill, the capa city of which is considerably over 200 tons of sugar por day. During tho month of May, 1908, 1557 tons of cane was the average grind and the uvorago output of Btigar ier day was 229 tons. Tho milt buildings are of skeleton steel structure work with corrugated galvanized Iron sides and roofs, with Iron floors and wero erected by Mllllken Urns, of New York M Milken Ilros, nro at present erecting n largo sugar warehouse which will have ii capacity of from 7000 to 8000 tons of sugar. Within tho mill house have been Instnllcd completo mechanical appliances. The mill is a 12-roller, 34x78 mill, prececdod by a crusher and revolving cano knives. Two Hamilton Corliss onglnes of 260 nnd 160 h.p. respectively drlvo tho four threo-roller mills. Two quadruple effects, capacity 20,500 squaro feet heating surface; 10 42-Inch Wes- Is unloaded direct upon tho endless carrier by the aid of a new cuuu unlondur construct ed by Mr. Itosso. This unloader is operated by hydraulic power anil has proved very sat isfactory. The finished product is shipped to Honolulu by Ilia Onhu Railroad Cn. The cane curs at tho mill are bundled by hjdrautlc power nnd nro returned from tho cano car rier automatically. E. K. Dull has been manager of the Oahu Sugar Company since incumber 1st, 1901 and has hud 23 years' experience in tho sugar Industry, having been manager of the liana, Kekuhn, and lleela plantations pre vious to his taking charge at Waipahu. Tho following Is tho list of emplojees: Head Overseer. 12. Worthlngton. Chief Mill Engineer, C Dosso. Bookkeeper, II. G. Danford. Assistant Bookkeepers, E. Pierce and A. Stelnke. Timekeeper, P. Humane. Pump Engineer (ChlcO. E. M. Scovllle. Sugar Boiler, C Arnemunu, Assistant Sugar Boiler, W K. Orth. Chemist, P, A. G. Messchuert. Btoro Manager, J. II. Arenilt. Stenm Plow Engineer, P. Hupozo. Carpenter, .1, Dyson. Physician, Dr. It. J. McGettlgau. Officers of tho Company: President, J. P. Hnckfold lBt Vice-President, M. P. Ilohlnsou. 2nd Vlco-Presldentfl P. Lewis. Treasurer, W. Pfotcnhnuer, Secrotary, T. Klamp. Auditor, A. Hanebcrg. Directors, P. J. Iiwroy, P. Muhlcndorf, J. A. McCandlcss, 11. Focko. Honolulu Agents, II. Hackfeld & Co., Ltd.