Search America's historic newspaper pages from 1770-1963 or use the U.S. Newspaper Directory to find information about American newspapers published between 1690-present. Chronicling America is sponsored jointly by the National Endowment for the Humanities external link and the Library of Congress. Learn more
About The Saratoga sun. (Saratoga, Carbon County, Wyo.) 1891-current
Saratoga, Carbon County, Wyo. (1891-current)
- The Saratoga sun. : (Saratoga, Carbon County, Wyo.) 1891-current
- Alternative Titles:
- Place of publication:
- Saratoga, Carbon County, Wyo.
- Geographic coverage:
- G.F. Canis
- Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (July 14, 1891)-
- Carbon County (Wyo.)--Newspapers.
- Saratoga (Wyo.)--Newspapers.
- Daily ed.: Saratoga daily sun, <July 4, 1891>.
- sn 83002748
- Preceding Titles:
- Related Titles:
- View complete holdings information
- First Issue Last Issue
The Saratoga Sun
One of 11 newspapers that began publishing before Wyoming gained statehood, the Saratoga Sun published its first issue on July 4, 1891 under the ownership of George F. Canis. The second issue of the Sun did not appear until ten days later, and successive issues were published weekly. The first tagline for the Sun, "devoted to stock, mining and irrigation interests," reflected the views the paper would hold for its entire publication. On the final page of the first issue of the Sun, Canis made clear his intentions for the paper, "to give all the news concerning events of interest in the valley and to record the progress made towards the development of this rich and promising section of the country." It was on this page that Canis also introduced the phrase that would become one of the paper's taglines, "The sun is independent in everything and has nothing to boom for, the sun shines for all." Canis ended this introductory final page with a statement that the Sun was a paper for the people, and if an event that people wanted to see covered was not, all they needed to do was ask, and it would be included.
John F. Crawford purchased the Sun from Canis in 1902, though Crawford had been listed as its proprietor, and at times its editor, since late in 1892. One of Crawford's first acts as owner was to purchase the competing paper, the Platte Valley Lyre, and combine the two into a single newspaper that served Saratoga and the surrounding towns. Crawford was also the second president of the Wyoming Press Association, an organization that still exists to support the official newspapers of Wyoming and that works to unite publishers and foster an ethical publishing field. Crawford first published the Sun with the tagline "The Sun Shines for All," but in 1905 began to use different taglines every week to encourage movement to and investment in Saratoga and the Platte Valley, such as "Before you move to the west investigate the resources of the Saratoga Valley."
Crawford sold the Sun to R. I. Martin in 1918, and he began a co-ownership with his son, R. D. Martin, in 1921. R. D. Martin became the sole owner of the Sun in 1939. In 1968, the Sun was sold to Clifford Hamilton and R. Richard Perue, with Perue becoming sole owner in 1974. M. D. Lindsey bought the paper from Perue in 1982 and sold it to Gary Stevenson in 1991. To this day, the Saratoga Sun is the official newspaper of Saratoga and the surrounding towns and is dedicated to keeping citizens up to date on local, national, and global news, with an emphasis placed on the Platte Valley.
Provided by: University of Wyoming Libraries