Newspaper Page Text
SICUT DIXIT ALLELUIA! Vol. No. 30 I 1 LJi NEW PHILADELPHIA Work was begun this week on an addi tion to Sacred Heart school (upper photo) here that will increase the number of classrooms from four to eight, and on a new two-story rectory to replace the one present ly in use. According to the Rev. Ambrose Freund, pastor, the project will in clude renovation of the existing school building, built in 1910. The three-story addition to this structure will be a wing 36 feet by 83 feet extending from the rear, including two stories with two classrooms on each, and a base TV Education Plan Periled By High Cost KANSAS CITY, Mo. Recent earmarking of 242 television chan nels for educational purposes is nf dubious value because of prohibi tive costs, in the opinion of par ticipants in the National Catholic Educational Association convention here conversant with TV problems. The Very Rev. William J. Dunn, S.J., president of the University of San Francisco, said the executive committee of the NCEA college and university department put the problem in a nutshell with this finding: “It’s too important to let pass by, too costly to do anything about.” The Rev. Edward J. Kammer, C.M., vice president of De Paul Un iversity and a recognized authority on television, said cost of estab lishing a television station with 14 mile range is quarter of a million dollars, while operating costs would be another quarter million yearly. In a large city like Chicago, where 14-mile range could not pos sibly cover the metropolitan area, cost of founding an adequate sta tion would be trebled, he said. o----------------the Bishop To Ordain 37 At Josephinum Fourteen seminarians at the Pon tifical College Josephinum will be ordained subdeacons by Bishop Ready Saturday morning, April 26, in the seminary chapel. The cere monies will begin at 9 o’clock. At the same time 14 other sem inarians will receive the last two minor orders, exorcist and acolyte, and nine the first two, porter and reader. The Bishop will be assisted by the Very Rev. Msgr. Adrian Brande boff, rector of the Josephinum, and members of the faculty. Seminar ians will be minor ministers for the ordinations. School To Be Enlarged, Rectory Built At New Philadelphia Parish la ■i ment with a cafeteria-auditorium accommodating 200. Also provided by the addition will be a library, office, kitchen, and lavatory. The extension, as well as the new rectory, will be of light-color ed brick to match the original school building. This building will have its face lifted, with a new flat concrete roof deck replacing the present pitched wood roof, and other inter ior and exterior changes. An entirely new heating and lighting system will be installed throughout the entire school. Throughout the day, the public may tour all the hospital buildings in order to get a first-hand view of how the government cares for dis abled war veterans. Facilities for picnickers are provided, enabling families to bring, their lunch and stay all day. To Show Weapons Among the displays is an exhib it of infantry and artillery wea pons under the direction of Col. Loren G. Windom of the 166th Regimental Combat Team. This project, together with an exhibit of planes by the 11th Airborne Division, Lockbourne Airbase, was made possible through the efforts of Maj. Joseph E. Tritschler, also of the 166th. The Columbus NCCS is one of ten central and southern Ohio organizations sponsoring the event. The Holy Name Society in the Co lumbus diocese is promoting large attendance for the occasion as a demonstration of faith. The NCCS chapter in the Colum bus diocese was introduced by Bishop Ready in January, 1950, to aid disabled war veterans in VA hospitals. Numerous athletic, mu sical and social programs are un dertaken during the year. Serving on the Columbus NCCS committee are Mrs. Thomas C. Allison, chairman Mrs. Ursula Far rell, vice chairman Miss Margaret Gallen, chairman of hospitality Charles P. Gilbert, treasurer Miss Betty Kulp, secretary John A. Mc Andrews, chairman of entertain ment Miss Theresa Selegue, chair man of hostesses Maj. Joseph i i The new rectory and adjoining two-car garage will be built on the site of the present rectory, which has been sold and will be moved to another site. Dimensions of the rectory will be 35 feet by 47 feet. Cost of the school addition and the rectory has been estimated at more than $180,000. Krause and Helmkamp, Akron architects, who drew plans for the new structures, say both will be completed substantially by early September. The same firm design ed Sacred Heart Church, dedicated in 1928. Bishop To Offer Field Mass At Chillicothe Hospital May 4 The Columbus Committee of the National Catholic Community Serv ice will play an active role in the Hospital Day program, May 4, at Chillicothe Veterans Administra tion Hospital. The “visit-a-vet” day gets under way at 9 a.m. with a field Mass, with Bishop Ready as celebrant. Members of the Holy Name Soci ety, the NCCS and their families, veterans, and visitors will receive Holy Communion at the Mass in a demonstration of faith. Tritschler, chairman of transpor tation. Other members are Miss Pauline Albert Harold Breitfeller, Donald Flynn, Mrs. Theodore Hinterschied, Miss Helen Lang, Michael Murphy, Miss Christina Ricci, Edward O. Ryan and Thomas J. Ryan. The Right Rev. Msgr. Roland T. Winel is moderator, and Rev. A. E. Cul liton and Rev. John Simon are con sultants. o----------------- Teacher Units Will Consider Study Courses Reports of the various commit tees on curriculum development in the schools of the Diocese of Co lumbus will be given at the final meeting of the year which will be held Saturday, April 26, at St. Jo seph Academy, E. Rich street, Co lumbus. Bishop Ready will be present for the meeting. The Rev. Bennett Applegate, act ing superintendent of schools, is arranging the meeting, which is the fourth for the present scholas tic year. Chairmen of the seven estab lished committees are: Mother Mary of the Angels, St. Cyprian’s school, Elementary Directing com mittee the Rev. Thomas Gallen, St. Charles’ seminary, music the Rev. Thomas Sabrey, St. Charles’ seminary, vocations Sister M. Wil frid, Holy Redeemer school, Ports mouth, audio-visual the Rev. Rich ard Endres, St. Nicholas’ school, Zanesville, high schools the Rev. Bennett Applegate, acting super intendent of schools, guidance, and the Rev. Robert W. Harwick, Rose crans High school, Zanesville, pub lic relations. The u i ulum development committees were set up several years ago, and have held a series of several meetings each year since. The final meeting this year is expected to hear some important reports. 1 he Catholic Liuies Columbus 16, Ohio, Friday, Apr. 25, 1952 Patronal Feast Of Cathedral Is Wed.9 April 30 Wednesday, April 30. is the feast of the Solemnity of St. Jos eph, and the patronal feast of St. Joseph Cathedral. Bishop Ready will be cele brant of a Solemn Pontifical Mass in the Cathedral at 9 o’clock in observance of the oc casion. The Rev. Hugh Murphy, of St. Charles’ seminary, will preach the sermon. Students of the Cath olic high schools of Columbus will sing the Common of the Mass, and the St. Charles’ sem inary choir will sing the Propers. The feast of the Solemnity of St. Joseph falls annually on the second Wednesday after Easter Sunday. o------------------ Mark Jubilee Of St. Thomas’ Parish May 11 Solemn Pontifical Mass, Confirmation Planned Church Is 50 Years Old The golden jubilee of the found ing of St. Thomas the Apostle Par ish, East Fifth and Cassady Ave nues, Columbus, will be observed Sunday May 11. Bishop Keady will be celebrant of a Solemn Pontitical Mass of Thanksgiving at 10 o ock, and will administer the Sact ament nf Confirmation at 3 o’clock in the afternoon. The Rev. Harry Estadt, Pastor, and member^ oi the parish have been busy making preparations for the festive occasion. Among the arrangements is he publication of a souvenir booklet telling the his tory of the parish and its accom plishments. Since its establishment in 1902, St. Thomas parish has shown steady growth, but it has been in more recent years that rapid expansion has been noticed. During the past four years alone the school has been enlarged the church extend ed in the front and a new sacristy added to rear, and a convent pur chased for the Dominican nuns who teach in the school. Former Mission Area Before the turn of the century, a number of Catholic families lived in the area east of the present St. Thomas church. Mass was offered for them at regular intervals in Taylor’s Station, about two miles east. Priests from the Cathedral and St. Patrick s church took care of the spiritual needs of rhe peo ple. The building of a steel plant at Rarigville, now East Columbus, brought about an increase of popu lation in the area. This made it possible for the Catholic families in Taylor Station, those living on the surround ng farms, and those in the growinte East Columbus, to form the nue’eus of the little par ish. The Rev. Andrew J. Johnson was given the task of forming the parish under the patronage of St. Thomas. This was on May 26, 1900. In 1901, Thomas D. Cassady do nated a piece of ground on the northwest corner of East Fifth and Cassady avenues for the new church. Work on the erection of the brick structure, Gothic in de sign, began at once. The corner stone was laid on April 6, 19U2. The following August the church was dedicated by Bishop Henry Moeller. Assisting were the Pastor Father Johnson, and the Revs. A! bert Reinhart, O.P., J. D. Pender gast, O.P., Lucas Rath, C.PP^., R. A. McEachen and D. P. Quailey. The choir from St. Patrick’s Church sang the Mass, and uniformed com panies of the Knights of St. John and the Hibernian Rifles formed a guard of honor for the Bishop. Still without a rectory, the little parish undertook the building of the present spacious home in 1903, completing it in 1904. First Pastor Dies Father Johnson’s health began to fail ’n the summer of 1913. He was able to continue until Dec 8 1915, when be offered Mass for the last time He died a little more than a yea» later, Dec 15, 1916. In Jure 1916.v the late Bishoo Hartley sent the Rev. John II O’Neil to serve as pastor of the East Columbus parish In the fall of that year the Dominican Sis ters from St. Mary of the Springs began to take charge of Sunday School. It was not until 1921 that the school wat built, and the same (Continued on Page 2) o---------------- J. M. Shea Takes New Job With Cincinnati Weekly The resignation of James M. Shea from the staff of The Catholic Times was announced this week. He has been associate editor of the paper since its inception last Oc tober. Mr. Shea will begin work next week as associate editor of the Catholic Telegraph-Register, offic ial weekly newspaper of the Cin cinnati Archdiocese. Men's Council Notes Rise Of Indecent Literature And Condemns U.M.T. TOLEDO, O. Some 300 men from every section of the country took part in the 32nd annual meet ing of the National Council of Cath olic Men here this week, and every one was given an opportunity lo express his views in a program de voted principally to workshops and pan^l discussions. At the closing business session Francis Nally of Toledo, who had served as first vice president of the NCCM, was elected president to succeed Stewart Lynch, Wilm ington (Del.) attorney. Mr. Nally is news editor for The Catholic Chronicle, newspaper of the Toledo diocese, and a correspondent for the N.C.W.C. News Service. Other officers elected were: Al bert J. Sattler of New York, vice president Judge David McMullan of St. Louis, secretary, and Dr. George Ellis of Washington, D. C., treasurer. The officers, with Mr. Lynch serving as member-at-large, comprise the NCCM’s executive committee. “Evil Of Indecency9* The convention took cognizance of the ‘tremendous volume” in the sale of pornographic literature in recent years and called upon Con gress as well as State legislatures to enact adequate laws to combat “this evil of indecency.” The NCCM went on record in op position to Universal Military Training and expressed the opinion that the present Selective Service legislation is a sufficient protec tion for the country. Other resolutions treated of: The importance of coordinating the activities of parents and facul ty members of Catholic schools in every parish in the country be cause of the foreseeable increase in the future enrollments of Catho lic schools. Recognition of “a trend to place religion in its proper place in the nublic schools" as evidenced by the New York State Board of Regents in authorizing local school boards to permit public school pupils to open and close each school day with brief prayer. Urge NCCS Support Continued support of the pro grams of the National Catholic Community Service and the Edu cation and Youth Departments, N.C.W.C., for preparing a pre induction training program for high school and college youths about to be inducted into the na tion’s armed forces. Recognition that it “is impera tive” to improve State laws to pro tect labor and the consumer and a declaration that national laws in this field, “while still inadequate,” surpass State legislation. A declaration “strongly con demning” the imprisonment of news reporters “bent upon proper duties of their profession” and pro testing the “poisoning of those fountheads of news which should give forth clear and protective truth.” Calling upon the NCCM mem bers to actively participate in and to inaugurate where necessary pro grams to secure job opportunities “for all people” and to work in parish, school, neighborhood and home to break down discrimination against and segregation of minori ty groups. 1 Ohio Editor A bp. Ritter Is Elected President New Head For NCCM Asks Increase Of Devotion To God and Mary Columbus Ordinary Speaks At Famed Pilgrimage In City Of St. Augustine By Jane Quinn (Special to The Catholic Times) ST. AUGUSTINE, FLORIDA “Like the shepherds and the ori ent kings, almost 2,000 years ago, we have come to a hallowed place to find ‘the Child with Mary, His Mother.’ and here to seek their blessing,” Bishop Michael J. Ready of Columbus declared as the pur pose of the pilgrimage of over 2,000 prelates, clergy and laity of Florida to St. Augustine’s Mission of Nombre de Dios and the Shrine of Our Lady of La Leche on Low Sunday afternoon. Archbishop Joseph P. Hurley, Bishop of the Diocese of St. Au gustine, gave Benediction at the outdoor Mission Altar, following Bishop Rteady’s sermon. Earlier the Archbishop had led' the faithful accompanying the Most Blessed Sacrament in solemn pub lic procession through city streets to America’s most sacred acre, the site of the first permanent Catho lic mission and Our Lady’s first shrine in the United States. Auxiliary Bishop Thomas J. Mc Donough, of St. Augustine, carried the Blessed Sacrament in the pil grimage, and Sodality and school children marched with the statue of Our Lady of La Leche. Largest In History The Rev. John J. Fitzpatrick, di rector of the Mission Shrine, intro duced Bishop Ready, who gave the sermon for this 22nd annual Low Sunday pilgrimage to America’s Oldest Mission. It was the largest pilgrimage in the history of the Mission. Proclaiming the need for “a strong increase of devotion to God, to Holy Mass and Holy Eucharist, and to the Blessed Mother,” Bishop Ready said, “These are the realities which Nombre de Dios and La Leche preach to us and to the world. These are the realities which we and the world most ur gently need in this present trou bled hour of human history.” He continued: “It is because of the Child that we honor the Moth er,” stating that when the St. Au gustine Mission was new, “there were voices raised in Europe pro claiming the Divinity of Christ but discrediting the devotion always paid in the Church to Mary, the Mother of Christ.” “To us,” he declared, “who in herit the glory of 20 centuries and who accept without amazement the active existence of a 400-year old institution on our shores, it would be amusing, were it not also (Continued on Page 2) Nurses To Hear Bishop Bishop Ready will address the Sixth Biennial convention of the National Council of Cath olic Nurses at the Hotel Statler in Cleveland, Friday, May 2. He will speak at the afternoon session on that day. The con vention is scheduled May 1-4. Marion Doctor Honored for Civic Service MARION—Dr. E. L. Brady of St. Mary's parish is shown receiving a plaque in recognition of his 20 years as president of the Marion County Tuberculosis and Health Association at a dinner in his honor at the Hotel Harding recently. Presenting the award is Mrs. Walter E. Hane, who succeed ed Dr. Brady when he retired from the post this year. At right is the Very Rev. Msgr. William J. Spickerman, V.F., pastor of St. Mary's, who gave the invocation at the dinner. Medical, welfare, and civic officials took part in the event. Of Catholic Educational Group Archbishop Ritter Will Dedicate Our Ladv Of Peace School Bishop Ready will offer Mass at 9:30 a. m., Sunday, April 27, in Our Lady of Peace church. Columbus, after which he will dedicate the new grade school of the north end parish. The ceremonies will culminate more than six years of effort on the part of the pastor, the Rev. George Foley, and the parishioners. The parish was among the first founded by Bishop Ready, being formally erected on January 17, 1946. The cornerstone of the new school was laid last June 24. The building includes six classrooms, ■four of which are being used this year. The new building is of one-story brick construction, and faces on E. Dominion boulevard. Ramsey and Croce were the architects, and the Lang construction company were the builders. Besides the six classrooms there is an office and a teachers* room on the first floor. The basement provides a cafeteria, a meeting room, kitchen, storage rooms and a heating unit. Four Dominican Sisters from St. Mary of the Springs are in charge of the school. There are 153 pupils in eight grades. Modern Structure The new school is made of red brick with limestone trim. The steel sash windows have block glass, known as prismatic light di rectional, which cuts down the glare of sunlight and eliminates the need for shades. Each classroom is equipped with green chalk boards, display boards, a wardrobe for clothing, germicidal lamps, and fluorescent lighting. The floors are covered with asphalt tile, while the ceilings are covered with acoustical material. There is little plaster in the building, since painted masonry blocks make up the walls. The comparatively little -woodwork in the building is of oak. The old frame school building was used last fall as school began. Classes were first held in the base ment of the new building in No vember. In December the class rooms were used for the first time. Finishing touches on the building were not completed until after the (Continued on Page 2) “WHERE CHARITY AND LOVE ARE, THERE IS GOD” Price Tan Cents $3.00 A Year NCEA Convention Speaker Urges 2-Year Reduction Of Time Spent In School KANSAS CITY, Mo. (NC) Archbishop Joseph E. Ritter of St Louis was elected the new Presi dent General of the National Cath olic Educational Association at the association's 49th convention here. Msgr. Frederick G. Hochwait was re-elected to another three year term as the association’s Sec retary General, a post he has held since 1944. The former assistant superintendent of schools in the Cincinnati Archdiocese is also di rector of the Education Depart ment, National Catholic Welfare Conference. Three new NCEA department heads were elected during the con vention. They are the Rev. Cyril F. Meyer, M., vice president of St. John’s University, to head the college and university department Msgr. James O’Connell, rector of St. John’s Seminary in Little Rock, Ark., major seminary department and Msgr. Charles Lynch, rector of the Seminary of Our Lady of Providence, Rhode Island, minor seminary department. Brother Alexis Klee of Spring bill, Ala., was re-elected as head of the secondary school department, and the Rev. Leo J. McCormick, a 1 timore archdiocesan superin tendent of schools, continues as el ementary school department head. Continuing as Treasurer General is Msgr. Richard J. Quinlan of Win throp, Mass. Call For Expansion The delegates resolved “that Catholic schools strengthen their desire to know «nd to meet the concrete needs of the community and fully to prepare themselves for the rapidly expanding school population.” Convention participants heard the Rev. William I. Cunningham call for a “6-4-4 plan” of education, reducing the number of elemen tary school years from eight to six “for the average student.” The University of Notre Dame pro fessor advocated such a system for about 50 per cent of the school population, with more years of schooling for the lower quarter of students and fewer for the upper quarter. The reorganization would in volve only “problems of adminis tration,” he said, would eliminate “wasted years” for the greater por tion of students, and would bring the average student to completion of his general education at the age of 20 instead of 22. Catholic Schools Cited An armed forces chaplain, the Rev. (Maj.) Paul J. Cuddy of Lack land Air Force Base, San Antonio, Tex., presented statistics on serv icemen indicating much higher at tendance at Sunday Mass by for mer students at Catholic schools. “In tabulating the statistics from an average section of 203 men be tween the ages of 17 and 21, I found 55 per cent were regular at Sunday Mass, 45 per cent irregular ly at Mass or not at all, and 29 per cent little more than nominal Catholics as far as Mass attendance is concerned,” he said. “It may give heart to you who are teachers in Catholic school* that of this group 54 had an aver age of at least 10 years in Catholic schools, and of these 76 per cent were regular in attendance at Mass, 24 per cent irregular, but only 9 per cent could be classed as nominal.’’ Next year’s NCEA convention will be held in Atlantic City, N. J. o---------------- Vincentian Society Meeting to Feature Pittsburgh Speaker Members of 45 parish confer ences of the St. Vincent de Paul Society in the Columbus Diocese will hear a talk by D. M. Hamill of Pittsburgh, Pa. at 3 p. m. Sunday at St. Charles Seminary, 2010 E. Broad St. Mr. Hamill is an official of the Vincentians in the Pittsburgh Dio cese. The joint session was called by the Rev. Lawrence Corcoran, as sistant director of charities in the diocese. Father Corcoran has urged all members of the society to re ceive Holy Communion at Mass in their respective parishes this Sun day since the day is one of the group’s four major festivals. The program will also include a summary report of the organia tion’s works of charity and mercy. Lawrence Murnane, Columbus, president of the Particular Council, will be in charge. Following the meeting, Bishop Ready will officiate at Benedic tion. o---------------- Annual Prayer Day Set President Truman signed House Joint Resolution 382 which direct* him to designate an anuual day of prayer for world peace. The day designated must be other than a Sunday.