Newspaper Page Text
GRATIA PLENA DOMINUS TECUM Vol. 1, No. 40 Rector Of Josephinum Announces (Resignation 111 Health Forces Msgr. Brandehoff Into Retirement Very Rev. Msgr. Adrian F. Bran dehoff, J.C.L., rector of the Ponti fical College of the Josephinum for the past seven years, has resigned his post because of ill health. His retirement became effective June 24. The resignation was acknowl edged and accepted by the Most Rev. Amleto G. Cicognani, Apos tolic Delegate to the United States, the Josephinum being the only seminary in the U.S. under the di rect jurisdiction of the Holy See. After a period of recuperation, the forty-year-old priest will be as signed to a new post in his own Diocese of Fort Wayne by his Bi shop John F. Noll. Monsignor Brandehoff was born June 23, 1911 in Cloverdale, O. He attended Immaculate Conception School, Ottoville, and St. John’s School, Delphos, before entering the Josephinum Orphanage follow ing the death of his father in 1922. In the fall of 1923, he enrolled in the Josephinum seminary as a student for the priesthood, and completed the entire 12-year course there. He was ordained May 26, 1935. and was the first priest to receive Holy Orders from the pres ent Apostolic Delegate. Monsignor Brandehoff celebrated his first Solemn High Mass in St. John’s Church, Delphos, on June Bishop Ready will preside Sun day at 4 p. m. when cornerstone laying ceremonies are held for the new addition to the Sacred Heart School, New Philadelphia. Work on the addition, which was begun late in April, is progressing rapidly and, according to the Rev. Ambrose Freund, pastor of Sacred Heart, the buildings should be ready for occupancy by the first of September. Besides the addi tion to the school, the project also includes a new two-story rectory. The addition to the school, which was built in 1910, will increase the number of classrooms from four to eight. The remaining one-third of the old building is being complete ly renovated, with new floors, lighting and heating being install ed. The entire project will cost $200,000. The three-story addition is in the form of a wing 36 by 83 feet ex tending from the rear of the pres ent building. There will be two classrooms on each of the top two floors and a cafeteria-auditorium aeating 200 in the basement. The entire building is now going through a complete face-lifting. When completed, a new flat con crete roof will replace the old pitched wood roof. The extension as well as the rectory, will be of light-colored brick to match the present school building. The dimensions of the new rec tory will be 35 by 47 feet. An ad joining two-car garage is also in cluded in the rectory project. Krause and Helmkamp of Akron, Summer Schools In Full Swing Summer schools of religion, su pervised by the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, were in full swing this week in several of the rural parishes of the Diocese. Classes in catechism, liturgy, bi ble history, and the lives of mod ern saints—together with a guid ed recreation program—were being offered at the following churches: St. Genevieve, Calmoutier St. Pe ter’s, Millersburg Church of the Ascension, Johnstown Our Lady of Lourdes, Ada and St. Rose, Spring Mountain. Classes are scheduled to begin later at St. Peter and Paul Church. Glenmont Church of the Nativi ty, Utica Our Lady of Sorrows, West Portsmouth Sacred Heart, Milford Center and St. Francis de Sales, Newark. Teachers taking part in the pro gram include students from St. Mary of the Springs College, Co lumbus St. Charles College, Co lumbus and Mt. St. Mary Semi nary, Norwood. From St. Mary of the Springs are Mary Catherine Zang and Margaret Ann Mathy Thomas Bender comes from St. Charles while the fol lowing from Mt. St. Mary’s are par ticipating: William Dugan. John Fahey, Wil liam Huber, Robert Reilly, and Francis Schaefer. 2, 1935. His .first assignment was as assistant pastor at St. Peter’s Church, Fort Wayne, where he re mained until July 3, 1941. He was then appointed for a year of work and study at the Mat rimonial Court in the Archdiocese of Chicago. During this period, he W Msgr. Brandehoff was in residence at St. Sylvester's Church. Prior to his appointment on Jan. 22, 1945, as rector of the Joseph inum, he served as Officialis for three years in the Fort Wayne Di ocesan Matrimonial Court. The name of his successor, who will become the sixth rector at the 64-year-old institution, has not yet been announced. Bishop To Bless Cornerstone Sunday At New Philadelphia who also drew plans for the Sacred Heart Church dedicated in 1928, are the architects for the present project. Contractor for the con struction is Hinson and Gundy, Inc. of Dover. The official ground breaking for the new addition was held last April 15. Actual construction was begun soon afterwards. Two Local Nuns Hurt In Atlantic City Taxi Crash ATLANTIC CITY, N. J.—(NC)— Two Columbus nuns wei*e among six nuns injured here last Monday in a taxicab-trolley collision. They are: Sister M. Brigetta, O. P., and Sister M. Leonita, O.P., both of St. Mary of the Springs College, Columbus. Sister Brigetta and Sister M. Bernadette Marie, of Immaculata College were treated at a hospital for chest injuries. Sister M. Leon ita and the other nuns were dis charged from the hospital .after treatment. The other nuns were Sister M. Columbiere of Immacu lata College Sister M. Joseph Rosa line, and Sister Rita Joseph, both of the Immaculate Heart Convent, Philadelphia. Sister Brigetta was elected treas urer of the National Catholic Coun cil on Home Economics at the council’s meeting here. Graduation exercises for the largest class of nurses ever to complete the three-year diploma course at St. Francis Hospital will be held Sunday afternoon, July 13, at St. Joseph Cathedral. Twenty-two graduates, including two men, the first ever to gradu ate at the hospital will receive their diplomas at impressive exer cises starting at 3 p. m. Bishop Michael J. Ready will preside and the address will be delivered by the Right Rev. Msgr. Francis J. Schwendeman, S.T.D., pastor of Holy Cross Church. 300 Invited Three hundred invitations have been extended to relatives and friends of the graduating class, ac cording to Mother Superior Ferdin, and. Sisters of the Poor of St. Francis and administrator of the hospital, and Sister M. Theresa, S.P.S.F., R.N., director of the school. Open House will he held at the Nurses Home. 308 East Town street, from 4 to 6 p. m. following the graduation exercises. Prospect ive student nurses are being in The Sacred Priesthood The Sacrament of Holy Or ders sets the priest apart from the rest of the faithful who have not received this consecration. For they alone, in answer to an inward supernatural call havfe entered the august minis try, where they are assigned to service in the sanctuary and become, as it were, the instru ments God uses to communicate supernatural life from on high to the Mystical Body of Jesus Christ. Let all then who would live in Christ flock to their priests. By them they will be supplied with the comforts and food of the spiritual life. From them they will procure the medicine of salvation assuring their cure and happy recovery from the fatal sickness of their sins. The priest, finally, will bless their homes, consecrate their families and help them, as they breathe their last, across the threshold of eternal happiness. From the Encyclical "Mediator Dei" of Pius XII Labor Party Gains Ground In Holland Catholic Moderates Lose Seats As Rightist Group Splits The Vote THE HAGUE—(Radio, NC)—Con trary to general expectations, the Catholic People’s Party has lost its strength at the Netherlands gen eral elections. The Labor Party emerged as the strongest political group in the country. Both will have 30 each of the 100 seats in the lower chamber of the Netherlands “Staten Generaal” (parliament). This is a loss of two for the People’s Party, and a gain of three for the Laborites. On a percentage basis, the num ber of votes cast for People’s Par ty candidates declined from 31.04 jer cent in 1948 elections to 28.67 per cent. On the other hand, the Labor Party votes rose to 25.60 per cent in 1948 to 28.97 this year. The losses of the People’s Party are partly explained by the gains made by the Catholic National Par ty. a rightist group Leaded by Ch. J. I. M. Welter, which now has two seats in parliament and obtained 2.71 per cent of the votes. The gains of the Labor Party, which in its general policy resem bles the British Labor Party, are attributed to the losses of the com munists. The latter declined from 7.74 to 6.16 per cent of the votes cast and will have only six repre sentatives in parliament, a loss of two. Only minor changes have result ed from the elections in the distri bution of the remaining 32 seats tion of the remaining 32 seats dis tributed between four minor par ties. The Catholic People’s Party re mains, however, the strongest po litical group in the upper cham ber, the 50 members of which &ere elected by the provincial councils. The party gained one seat and will be represented by 17 members. Labor has 14 seats in the upper chamber, the Anti-Revolu lutioniaries 7, and the Christian Historical Party 6 seats. Record Class .Of Nurses Will Receive St. Francis Diplomas 22 To Graduate July 13 Exercises Held at Cathedral School Ranks Second Among 58 in State vited to attend. The St. Francis Nurses school ranks second highest in the state since last November, based on the performance of graduates tak ing the state board examinations. Of the 58 schools in the state, so ranked, it is exceeded only by the school at Western Reserve Univer sity, though the course there cov ers five years instead of three. The two men gradutes in the class are: Robert J. Mohr of At tica, O., and Clifford S. Thomas, of Marion. Identical twin sisters are also graduating. They are: Elizabeth Jean and Florence Joyce Keener. 315 East Maynard ave nue. Martha White of Bellaire, an other graduate, was the first pres ident of SNAC, the Student Nutses Association of Columbus, started in 1950. Three of those to receive diplo mas completed the course last February and have already taken their Mate boards. St. Francis holds graduation exercises only once a year. The three are: Mar garet Brown, Johnstown, O., and Patricia Sauers and Madonna Kel (Contmued on Page 2) The Cathouc limes Columbut 16, Ohio, Friday, July 4, 1952 Bishop Makes 22 Appointments To Diocesan Posts H.N. Program For Next Year Set At Meet lishops’ Statement To Be Basis For All Meetings, Public Demonstrations Catholic men of the D»ocese of Columbus will unite to urge the observance of God’s law as the most certain way tu peace and hap piness, according to an announce ment made Sunday afternoon by Major Joseph Tritschler, of Our Lady of Peace parish, diocesan president of the Holy Name Union. More than 100 men, represent ing the Holy Name societies of nearly as many parishes of the diocese, heard Mr. Tritschler out line the program of study and ac tion for the coming year, at a spe cial meeting of officers held in St. Christopher's school hall. The Rev. Albert E. Culliton, pastoi of St. Christopher’s and director of the Diocesan Holy Name Union, pre sided. The program calls for the use of the 1951 Annual Statement of the Bishops of the United States. “God’s Law: The Measure of Man’s Conduct,” as the basis for all Holy Name meetings and the theme of public demonstrations. “Make all people you come in contact with in your daily life conscious of God‘s law and how it applies to their daily life,” Father Culliton told the men. A specific plan of action given the men, calls for their including the objective of the year in their Holy Communion intentions and for daily prayer for those who violate the natural law of God. Topics for the monthly meet ings, beginning in September, will follow the general objective. These topics are: “Morality and Educa tion,” September “Morality and Politics,” October “Morality: The Need of Today,” November “God’s Will: Man’s Measure in the Mora) Order,” December “Human Px*a son,” January “Natural Law and Revelation,” February “Moral In tegrity,” March “Religion and Morality,” April “Moral Stand ard Applies Universally,” May, and “Morality and Economics,” June. The meeting also urged the men to judge political candidates in ac cordance with moral standards and to encourage public officials to1 abide by God’s law. A special plea was made for the men to vote and to have all parish society member ships vote. Other objectives of the program include a recommendation to en courage good wholesome movies, radio and television programs, not merely to condemn the bad ones. Charles Leach, of Holy Rosary parish, was chairman of the spe cial committee which prepared the program for the coming year. Assisting in Sunday’s meeting were the other officers of the Dio cesan Union: William McGrath, of St. Agatha’s parish, vice president Edward Wolfe, of St. Aloysius’ par ish, secretary, and Gus Grodian, of St. Christopher’s, treasurer. o---------------- Msgr. Kerrigan’s Brother Succumbs In Massachusetts The Right Rev. Msgr. John J. Kerrigan, V.F., pastor of Sacred Heart Church, Coshocton, was to celebrate a Requiem High Mass for his brother, Joseph Gerald Kerri gan, 48, who died Monday at his home in Dorchester, Mass. Mr. Kerrigan is also survived by his wife two son, James and John another brother, James B., of Kan sas City, Mo. and three sisters, Ann, of Coshocton Mrs. John Joyce of Dorchester and Mrs. Edward Hayes, of Somerville, Mass. -----------------o--------------- Msgr. Levesque Named Bishop Of Hearst, Canada OTTAWA (NC) Msgr. Lou is Levesque, 44, Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Rimouski, has been named Bishop of Hearst, Ontario, by His Holiness Pope Pi us XII, it was announced here by Archbishop Ildebrando Antoniutti, Apostolic Delegate to Canada. He succeeds Bishop G. L. Landry who retired last January because of ill health. Bishop-designate Levesque was born at Amqui, studied at the Grand Seminaries of Rimouski and Quebec and was ordained in 1932. Special studies in Rome, Jerusa lem and Paris followed. He served as a professor and later as superi or of the Grand Seminary here. ----------------1------ o----------------munists Paulists Elect Superior NEW YORK, (NC) The Rev. William Michell, C.S.P., was elected 11th superior general of the Paulist Fathers at a meeting of the general chapter at the motherhouse here. He succeeds the Rev. James Cunningham, C. S. P. Division Msgr. Schwendeman Father Connelly Official The Most Reverend Bishop announces the following appoint ments of the Clergy: Effective June 30, 1952: The Rev. George F. Schorr, J.C.D. appointed Vice Chancellor of the Diocese of Columbus. Effective July 15, 1952: The Right Reverend Francis J. Schwendeman from Pastor, Holy Cross Church, Columbus, to Pastor, St. Leo's Church, Colum bus, and Dean of the Central Deanery. The Reverend Joseph A. Hakel from Pastor, Holy Trinity Church, Jackson, to Pastor, Holy Cross Church, Columbus. The Reverend William Stecker from Pastor, Church of the Atonement, Crooksville, to Pastor, Holy Trinity Church, Jackson. The Reverend Richard Connelly from Pastor, St. Joseph Church, Sugar Grove, to Pastor, St. Colman's Church, Washington C. H. The Reverend Andrew Hohman from Pastor, St. Genevieve's Church, Calmoutier to Pastor, Church of the Atonement, Crooks ville. The Rev. Robert R. Schmidt from Assistant Pastor, St. Leo's Church, Columbus, to Pastor, St. Joseph Church, Sugar Grove and Chaplain, Boys' Industrial School, Lancaster. The Reverend Bernard Jones from Assistant Pastor, Sacrod Heart Church, Columbus, to Pastor, St. Genevieve's Church, Calmoutier. The Reverend Charles Jones from Assistant Pastor, St. Rose Church, New Lexington, to Pastor, St. Philip Neri Church, Murray City, and St. Pius Mission, Moxahala. The Reverend Kenneth Wise from Assistant Pastor, Holy Fam ily Church, Columbus, to Assistant Pastor, St. Augustin* Church,' Columbus. The Reverend John Simon from Asistant Pastor, Holy Nam* Church, Columbus, to Assistant Pastor, Holy Family Church, Columbus. Th* Reverend William McEwan from Assistant Pastor, St. Augustin* Church, Columbus, to Assistant Pastor, St. Ros* Church, New Lexington. Th* Reverend Paul W. Meyer from Assistant Pastor, St. Mary's Church, Portsmouth, to Assistant Pastor, Sacred Heart Church, Columbus. The Reverend John Tagu*, Assistant Pastor, St. Mary's Church, Portsmouth. The Reverend Richard Dodd, Chaplain Director, Camp St. Joseoh and Camp St. Rita. The Reverend Peter Grabaskas, Chaplain, Maryhurst Candidacy, Columbus. The Reverend Robert Gately, Assistant Pastor, Holy Cross Church, Columbus. The Reverend Jerome Kendzie.-ski, Assistant Pastor, St. John the Evangelist Church, Columbus. The Reverend Vito Perrini from Assistant Pastor, Immaculate Conception Church. Dennison, to Assistant Pastor, Holy Nam* Church, Columbus. The Reverend Paul Elsner, Assistant Pastor, Immaculate Con ception Church, Dennison. The Reverned James Garrity, O.M.I., Chaplain, State Hospital and State School, Columbus, with residence at SS. Simon and Jude Church, West Jefferson. The Reverend William O'Neil, C.PP.S., Assistant Pastor, St. James the Less Church, Columbus. By Order of the Most Reverend Bishop ROLAND T. WINEL Chancellor We’ll Rule U. S. In 10 Years, Priest Told By Red Persecutors LOS ANGELES (NC) “We’ll take America in 10 years.” This is the threat Chinese Com made repeatedly to the Rev. Robert Greene of Maryknoll, who arrived here by freighter from Hong Kong two months after the Reds had put him through a 192 hour nightmare of torture. They sentenced him to be beheaded, and then suddenly expelled him from China. Speaking of the threat to take Father Hohman Father Schmidt Father B. Jones Father C. Jones America, the Maryknoller said: “If they told me that once they told me a thousand times. “They believe it. They really mean it. They say it again and again everywhere. That’s their aim.” But the greatest enemy of the Communists is not America, Fa ther Greene said. He put it this way: (Continued on Page 2) The eight new pastors appointed effective as of July 15, 1952, are: The Right Rev. Msgr. Francis J. Schwendeman. S.T.D. from pastor. Holy Cross Church. Columbus, to Pastor. St. Leo’s Church. Columbus, and Dean of the Central Deanery. A native of Marietta. Monsignor Schwendeman attended St. Mary’s Parochial School in that city, and studied at St. Joseph’s College, Col legeville. Ind.. St. Gregory Semin ary, and Mt. St. Mary of the 'West. Cincinnati, and the University of Fribourg. Switzerland, where he earned his doctorate in Sacred The ology. He was ordained July 6. 1931, in Columbus by Bishop James J. Hartley, following which he was sent to Fribourg for advanced study. He served successively as chaplain of St. Thesese’s shrine, as chaplain for the State Institution for the Feeble Minded, and on the faculty of St. Charles Seminary. He served as vice chancellor and as chancellor of the Diocese. The Rev Joseph A. Hakel from pastor. Holy Trinity Church. Jack son. to pastor, Holy Cross Church, Columbus. Born at Erie.Pa., Father Hakel was educated at the paroch ial schools of that city, at St. Vin cent College. Latrobe. Pa., at the American College, University of Louvain. Belgium and at St. Bon aventure Seminary, St. Bonaven ture. N. Y. He was ordained in Columbus, February 4, 1934. by Bishop Hartley, and has served as an assistant at St. Mary’s Church, a professor of Latin and Greek at St. Charles, chaplain of St. Rita’s Home and pastor of the Church of the Atonement. Crooksville. The Rev. William Stecker from pastor, Church of the Atonement, Crooksville, to pastor. Holy Trin ity Church, Jackson. Born in Co lumbus, Father Stecker was edu cated at St. Dominic’s and Aquinas High School, at St. Joseph’s Col lege, Indiana. St. Gregory’s Sem inary, Mt. Washington, Cincin nati and Mt. St. Mary Sem inary of the West. He was ordained by Bishop Hartley, May 26. 1934, at the Pontifical College Josephin um. He served successively as pas tor at St. Patrick’s, Buchtel chap lain of St. Aloysius Academy, New Lexington, assistant pastor of St. Francis deSaies Church. Newark, chaplain of Mercy Hospital, Mt. PRAY GOD TO SEND LABORERS INTO THE HARVEST Prien Ton Cents $3.00 A Yoar Father Hake! Father Stocker Father Schorr Becomes Vice Chancellor 8 Pastors Named In an official announcement this week. Bishop Ready made known the appointments of 22 priests, in cluding a vice chancellor of the Diocese and eight new pastors. The Rev. George F. Schorr, J.C.D. is appointed vice chancellor of the Diocese, effective as of June 30, 1952. A native of Lancaster. Father Schorr was ordained Oct. 27. 1945, in St. Joseph Cathedral. Columbus, by Bishop Ready. He was educated at St. Mary’s elementary and high schools in his native city, studied at St. Charles Seminary. Mt. St. Mary of the West, Cincinnati, and following his ordination served as diocesan notary, diocesan secre tary and as assistant pastor in St. Peter’s Church, Chillicothe, and St. Aloysius and Holy Cross parishes in Columbus. He earned three de grees. including his doctorate in Canon Law at Catholic University in Washington. w- Vernon as Vicarious Oeconomus at Our Lady of Lourdes. Marys ville, and Ss. Simon and Jude, West Jefferson. The Rev. Richard Connelly from pastor, St. Joseph Church, Sugar Grove, to pastor, St. Colman’e Church. Washington Court House. Born in Newark. Father Connelly was educated at Blessed Sacrament school that city, at University of Dayton. St. Joseph’s College, Col legeville. Pa., St. Charles Semin ary. Columbus, and St. Vincent’s Seminary. Latrobe. Pa. He served as chaplain in the armed forces from 1942 to 1946 with the rank of major, and was awarded the Bronze Star for meritorious service in connection with the Mediterran ean theatre of operations. He was ordained by Bishop Hartley in Co lumbus. March 4, 1939, and served at Holy Rosary. Columbus, at St. Mary’s Martins Ferry, and St. Mary’s, Lancaster, and at St. Lawrence in Ironton. In August, 1950, he was appointed State Chap lain of the American Legion. The Rev. Andrew Hohman from pastor, St. Genevieve’s Church, Calmoutier, to pastor. Church of the Atonement. Crooksville. A na tive of Fulda. Father Hohman was ordained by Bishop Hartley at St. Joseph Cathedral. May 3, 1942. He was educated at St Charles College and Mt. St. Mary’s Seminary, Cin cinnati. He served as secretary of St. Joseph and Calvary Cemeter ies. as assistant at St. Vincent’s Or phanage before going to St. Gene (Continued on Page 2) P.I. Court Says Labor Must Have Right To Strike MANILA—(NC)—The Supreme Court of the Philippines, in a de cision written by Chief Justice Ric ardo Paras, has upheld the right of workers to strike for better work ing conditions. The decision here is regarded as especially important, since in previous cases the Court has held that if a strike is declared for trivial, unjust or unreasonable cause the tribunal could declare it illegal. In his decision, Chief Justice Paras wrote: “The plea of the laborers for better working conditions and more working days cannot be trivial, unreasonable or unjust.” Labor circles hailed his decision as one of the most important gains of labor in recent years. They said they hoped that the Justice’s “strong and definite words” will encourage union members to stand by their union pledges. (Recently a strike at the branch of National City Bank of New York here was broken by the American manager when he ad vertised for workers to replace those on strike. Out,of fear of los ing their job 180 out of 250 strik ers returned thus breaking the strike.) The Case arose when the Philip pine Oil Industry Workers’ Union struck against Central Vegetable Oil Company.