Newspaper Page Text
The Road To
True Peace Leads Through Mary Vol. No. Ill, No. 35 "lu w 'J 1W Mr i ,. .A fe'/ rL«. 6 ,v- This was the scene Sunday afternoon in front of St. Nicholas church, Zanesville, when some 3000 Catholics in the Zanesville area participated in a procession, open air May crowning and Benediction of the Most Blessed Sacra In an impressive demonstration of devotion to the Blessed Mother, some 3000 Catholics of the Muskin gum County area gathered in Zanesville Sunday afternoon to par ticipate in a procession, open-air May crowning and Solemn Benedic tion. The men. women and children gathered from towns surrounding Zanesville, and formed the proces sion. sang hymns and recited the Rosary as they made their way to the front of St. Nicholas church where an altar had been erected. The outstanding feature of the parade was a beautiful float bear Tremendous Crowd Witnesses Impressive Canonization Rites VATICAN (TTY (NC) His Holiness Pope Pius XII solemnly proclaimed Pope Pius a saint on what the Holy Father described as one of the ’’happiest days of Our pontifi cate, to which Providence has allotted so many sorrows and cares.” The Pontiff told of his joy at the privilege of canonizing Pius in an address which he delivered after the formal proc lamation of sanctity. He spoke to what was one of the largest gatherings of Cardinals. Archbishops, Bishops and members of the laity ever to come together in St. Peter’s Square. The conval escing Pontiff noted that’“for per haps the first time in the history of the Church the formal canon ization of a.Pope is proclaimed by one who had the privilege of serv ing him in the Roman curia.” In the tremendous crowd w it nessing the solemn and colorful ceremonies were two Cardinals. 11 Archbishops and 27 Bishops from the United States, as well as a number of priests and hundreds of lay people. With his canonization here Pope Pius became the first occupant of the chair of Peter to be proclaim ed a saint in 242 years He was (he first Pope in history to be both beatified and canonized by his suc cessor. The present Pontiff had beatified Pius in 1951. Speaking under a great paint ing depicting the newly proclaim ed saint ascending to heaven in glory, Pope Pius XII cited the hero ic virtues and accomplishments of the man he had just canonized. “It was this sanctity even more than the supreme office he held that made Pius the outstanding hero of the Church and as such today the Saint raised up by Prov idence for our time,” the Pontiff said. The Pope listed three out rtanding marks in the life and work of St. Pius X: his un swerving aim to "reestablish all things in Christ," his indomit able championship of the Church, and his sanctity, which was the inspiration and driving force of his accomplishments. The solemn ceremony, enacted on the steps of St. Peter’s Basicila| ended with the imparting of the Apostolic Blessing, in which the Pope for the first, time publicly invokes the name of the new saint in prayer. The first canonization ever tele Zanesville Area Catholics Honor Mary I :KWtfdKJT V. L’.‘ V w w* ht1" ing a statue of the Blessed Mother. Children dressed in white accom panied the statue to the church. On each side marched the uniformed members of the Fourth Degree of the Knights of Columbus, Columbus council, as an escort. Then in various divisions were the Sisters from St. Nicholas con vent and pupils of St. Nicholas ele mentary school Sisters from St. Thomas Convent and the students of that school the Rosecrans sen iors in caps and gowns followed by other high school students. There also were nurses from Good Samaritan Hospital and a Pius Is Extolled As 'Saint Of Our Times’ By Holy Father vised, the ceremoy set a number of other precedents. Because of the Marian year, together with the enormous worldwide appeal of the new Saint, more people from more countries were present at the rites than at any other canon ization. Even the Iron Curtain Confirmation Of 275 Adults Is Set Sunday Confirmation of 275 adults and a Pontifical High Mass in St. Joseph Cathedral Sunday will climax the observance of the Feast of Pente cost in the Columbus Diocese. Bishop Edward G. Hettinger, Auxiliary to Bishop Ready, will of fer the Mass at 11 a.m.. and will administer the Sacrament of Con firmation at ceremonies scheduled at 3 p.m. Assisting Bishop Hettinger at the Mass will be Msgr. Harry Connelly, pastor of St. Joseph Cathedral. Fa ther George Fulcher and Father Bernard McClory, assistants at St. Joseph Cathedral, will be deacon and sub-deacon respectively. Fa ther George F. Schorr, vice chan cellor of the Diocese, and Father James A. Geiger, assistant at St. Joseph, will be masters of cere monies. The sermon will be given by Father Ralph Huntzinger, who is chaplain of the Discalced Carmel ites Monastery of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and also a student of advanced studies in education at Ohio State University. The Schola Cantorum of St. Charles Seminary will sing the Mass. In preparation for the Feast of Pentecost, a public novena to the Holy Ghost has been under way since last Friday in all churches and chapels of the Di (Contmued on Page 2) & ment in an impressive demonstration of devotion to the Blessed Mother. (Courtesy of The Times Recorder and Zanesville Signal). drill team from Holy Family parish, Columbus, and a detachment of uniformed Marines. The sodalities and various socie ties from a number of parishes each made up their own divisions while the Boy Scouts from St. Nich olas troop paraded. When the line of march reached the church, the crowning cere mony took place. Miss Sally Davis, of St. Nichola^ School, chosen for her high scholastic average, and Miss Bonnie Finnan, sodality pre fect at St. Thomas School, jointly placed the crown on the Virgin. Benediction of the Most Blessed countries were well represented under the circumstances, with many refugees from various Red dominated lands representing their persecuted brethren. The crowd which overflowed the great square covered every roof too and filled every avail able window overlooking the massed thousands. So great were the crowds that even people with special tickets began taking their places about six hours be fore the ceremony started, in or der to be sure of their spots at this memorable ceremony. The ceremony began with the great papal procession at 6:30, as the bright sun began to dip down behind the majestic dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. Over 500 members of the Hierarchy were in the color ful line. Following the Order priests came the diocesan clergy from all the basilicas and collegiate church es in Rome, the members of the Sacred Congregation of Rites which processed the cause of the new saint—and representatives of lay confraternities and other per sons from dioceses where St. Pius lived, served or ruled. Next came the papal court itself with lay and clerical attendants, chamberlains, chaplains, prelates of the signatura (the Church’s su preme tribunal), and the Grand Master of the sacred palace. Then came the papal cross borne by a judge of the Sacred Rota, the confessors of St. Peter’s Basilica— headed by Father Giles Kaczmarek, an American Conventual, the Ab bots General and Abbots Nullius, Bishops, Archbishops, Patriarchs and then the Cardinals. The members of the Sacred Col lege were followed by the Holy Father who was carried in the can opied gestatorial chair, flanked by two great “flabelle” or ostrich plume fans. The Pontiff carried a lighted candle in his left hand, using his right to bless the tremendous, ju bilant crowd shouting “Vivas” for the Pope. Arriv ing at the great center door of St. Peter’s Basilica the Pontiff took his seat on the special throne erected there. Other members of the procession took their places on both sides and in front of the throne. Then Cardinal Cicognani ap proached the throne, knelt and asked the Pope to proclaim Pope (Continued on Page 2) The Catholic Times Columbus 16, Ohio, iFriday, June 4, 1954 sf.1i I Sacrament followed. Father C. M. Mulvey, O.P., pastor of St. Thom as church, was celebrant Fathers Linus Dury, pastor of St. Michael church, and Chester Le Blanc, chaplain of Good Samaritan Hos pital, served as deacon and sub deacon, respectively. Father Dan iel Crowley, assistant at St. Thom as. was master of ceremonies. Father Paul G. Corbett of St Patrick church, Columbus, deliver ed the sermon. The ceremony ended when the Marine squad presented the colors, a bugler sounded taps and a salute was fired. Police, Firemen To Attend Mass Iii Group Sunday Pentecost Sunday will be Com munion day for the Catholic mem bers of the Columbus Police and Fire Departments, and members of the Fire Department at Lock bourne Air Force Base. The men will receive Holy Communion in a body at the 9 a.m. Mass at St. Jo seph Cathedral. All members of the Division of Fire and Police are welcome, re gardless of denominational aftiiia tion. The Mass will present an op portunity for the men to thank God for the many blessings He has bestowed on them, to ask His guid ance and protection, and to peti tion Him for the spiritual and tem poral help they need in their lives. The group is asked to be at St. Joseph Cathedral, Fifth and Broad Sts., by 8:45 a m. They will dress in full uniform. -----------------o--------------— Court Upholds Censor SPRINGFIELD, Ill.—(NC) The constitutionality of Chicago’s mov ie censorship board was upheld here by the Illinois Supreme Court. To the Reverend Clergy, Religious and Faithful of the Diocese of Columbus. My beloved Brethren: The 1953 report of mission work in the Diocese is excellent. I am eager to thank God for the abundant favors granted to you and your zealous co-laborers in the apostolate. Love and support for the missions indicate a living Churqji. Under your inspiration, the priests and religious and faithful have given full evidence of the vitality of the Church of Columbus. The various holy causes of mission propaganda and sacrifice out lined in the report are all worthy of the most complimentary com ment. They all add up to the magnificent total which sets a new mark for our mission effort in the future. Each year will see new victories arid greater totals as the love for the missions of Christ in creases in the souls of our good people. One cause, however, gives me special joy because it indicates the success of mission work in the future. I refer to the success which crowned the Holy Childhood efforts in the schools. The teach ers. religious and lay, have given to youth a sense of responsibility to the Church which must bear great fruit in the years to come. We are not alone in preparing for the battle of the future Christ's enemies are indefatigably planning and working to hinder the Church and to stop her victorious march to victory. Youthful missionaries now will be the veteran defenders of Christ and His Holy Church tomorrow. We are encouraged by the past year to expect even greater success in our mission apostolate throughout the present year. It is Mary’s Year and through the power of her intercession we antici pate redoubled sacrifices and prayers for souls. We plead for Our Lady’s aid in serving our Divine Redeemer. We salute the Queen of the Missions and rally to the holy crusade for souls with a pledge of loyalty on our lips—“Duce Maria.” With sentiments of blessing and appreciation to you and to our Brothers in the sacred Priesthood throughout the Diocese, to the devoted Sisters and to all whose prayers and sacrifices contributed to the welfare of the missions. Devotedly in Christ, MICHAEL J. READY Bishop of Columbus Hope Dims For Spread Of Missions In China ROME (NC) The dark picture for missionary activi ties in the vast area of China and the promise presented by Africa dominated the discussions of delegates attending the annual sessions of the Pontifical Mission Aid Societies. Meeting here were the repre sentatives of the Pontifical Soci eties for the Propagation of the Faith, the Society of St. Peter Apostle for the Native Clergy and the Missionary Union of the Clergy. Bishop Fulton J. Sheen, Auxili ary of New York and national di rector of the Society for the Propa gation of the Faith in the United States, was among the delegates. The sessions opened with a greet ing from His Eminence Pietro Car dinal Fumasoni-Biondi, Prefect of the Sacred Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith. Discussions on Red China brought out that the Christians there are resisting atheist propa ganda with heroic courage How ever, concern was expressed for the children who are being syste matically indoctrinated in Marx ism from infancy. The sessions also emphasized that the time appears ripe for re newed missionary activities »n the Scandinavian countries. St. Charles Graduates Ten Seminarians I il Ten seminarians of St. Charles Seminary, Columbus, received their Bachelor of Arts degrees Wednesday in commencement exercises presided over by Bishop Edward G. Hettinger, Auxiliary to Bishop Ready. Bishop Ready is in Rome for his official "ad limine" visit to the Holy See. Pictured above, left to right, first row: James Ogurchock, Msgr. Glenn, Leo Finnen second row, Robert Duggan, Ralph Torowski, Thomas Peters, Charles Wells third row Jerome Raiser, Charles Lenhard, John Dreese and Edward Trenor. Diocesan Aid To Missions Totals 8178,557 In 1953 Archbishop Leo J. B. Nigris. sec retary general of the Pontifical Society for the Propagation of the Faith, reported that the world-wide contributions to the society were almost 25 per cent higher in 1953 than in 1952. The total contributions from all countries in 1953, he reported were $9,992,554. as against $8,000,268 in 1952. Most of the increase, it was brought out, was due to the larg er contribution from the U.S. So ciety for the Propagation of the Faith. In 1953, Archbishop Nigris stated, the American society ex ceeded its 1952 contribution by $1,143,474. The sessions of the Propagation of the Faith were held under the chairmanship of Archbishop Philip Bernardini, president of the soci eties. The delegates included in ad dition to Bishop Sheen, the na tional directors for the Propagation of the Faith in 16 countries. These contributions included those in which the donor specified a particular mission: the Indian and Negro Missions collection part of the Missionary cooperation plan appeals and 40*7 of the Mission Sunday collection. Concerning specified gifts. Fa ther James Kulp, diocesan director of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, stated: “The S.P.F. is anxious to forward specified gifts. We pledge prompt, safe serv ice so that we can prevent un worthy appeals.” The Indian and Negro Missions collection has been distributed amon£ all such missions according to the recommendation of the Bishop of each needy mission, as provided by the Council of Balti more. The Mission Sunday Collection portion is allocated among all home missions by a committee of Bishops whose secretary is Bishop Noll of Fort Wayne. The next biggest increase was in ‘•membership dues and donation5 Registered members of the S.P.F. now top 15,000 Members receive “Mission”, the Have You Made Your Easter Dut Price Ten Cents $3.00 A Year Propagation Of Faith Report Notes Increase Members of the Columbus Diocese contributed a grand total of S178.557.69 towards the support of the Missions dur ing 1953, it was revealed this week through a letter from Bishop Ready who at the same time announced the annual report of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith. The report, which appears this week's Catholic Times on pages eight and twelve, shows an in crease of $24,000 over the previ ous year's contribution in mission charity by the faithful of the Di ocese. Biggest increases were in gifts to the Home Missions, both dioces an. southern and western, which showed $15,000 more than 1952 picture magazine edited by Bishop Sheen. All dues and donations are for warded to the Holy See and thence they are distributed equitably among all missions of the entire world. In this way. the Holy See can sustain me poorest missions, plan new ones and help missions which have just been turned over to native priests and sisters. The “Missionary Cooperation Plan’’ registered an increase of 20% over the previous year. The Plan provides that a missioner preach at the Sunday Masses of a parish, explain his problems and plans, and appeal for prayers and alms. Twenty one-missions are listed as sharers in this plan, an increase of three over previous years. The Diocesan Mission Fund pro vides for emergency repairs and relief in the 26 missions within the territory of the Diocese of Colum bus. Since these missions must meet inflated cost of living prices at times without warning, mission aries apply to the S.PF. office, and this fund has. according to Father Kulp, “earned the fervent thanks of its benefactors.” “Mass intentions are a form of aid very important to the Mis sions,” Father Kulp continued. “We distribute them among wor thy missioners so they are said promptly. About half of them are (Continued on Page 2) Msgr. Vogel Will Mark Golden Jubilee June 10 Msgr. Bernard P. Vogel will celebrate his fiftieth anniver sary in the Holy Priesthood June 10 in St. Leo’s Church, where he zealously served for 32 years. The affable prelate, who went into well-earned retire ment in May, 1952, after serving Our Lord in a number of missions and parishes for 47 years, will be the celebrant at a Solemn High Mass at 9 a. m. Father James J. Carroll and Fa ther James Kulp, both native sons of St. Leo's parish, will be a dea con and sub-deacon respectively. After Mass, the women of the parish will serve a dinner for clergy of the diocese, and for rel atives of Monsignor Vogel. Born in Columbus Aug. 8. 1879. Monsignor Vogel attended Holy Cross School. He took all of his preparatory and theological stud ies for the priesthood at the Pon tifical College Josephinum, earn ing his Bachelor of Arts Degree in 1898. He was ordained at the Jose phinum June 10, 1904, by the late Bishop Hartley. During his long and distinguish ed service as pastor at St. Leo's, the parish flourished and grew. Among the highlights were the en larging of the convent, purchasing of a new pipe organ, complete re decorating of the church, and in stalling the beautiful marble on the sanctuary amf church walls. charge also of St Patrick s, Mineral City. A year later, he was appointed pastor of St. Philip Neri Church, Murray City, where he remained until 1916. He then spent four years at Our Lady of the Angels Parish, Barton, before being ap pointed pastor of St. Leo's Church, Columbus, in 1920. Bell aire, Neffs, Malvern and Barton are now in the Steubenville Dio cese. When he retired two years ago as pastor of St. Leo's. Bishop Ready presided at a dinner in his honor, .. Known for his interest in chil dren and his kindness to them and the Sisters. Monsignor Vogel saw to it that St. Leo’s School was one of the best equipped in the city. Moreover because of his wide knowledge, he was often called upon by persons throughout Co lumbus to act as spiritual director and confessor. Pope Pius XII honored the es teemed parish priest on June 19, 1942, in elevating him to the rank of Domestic Prelate with the title of Right Reverend Mon signor. Bishop Ready appointed him pro synodal examiner Aug. 1, 1945, and renamed him to this office in January, 1950. During his pastorate at St. Leo’s he made two trips to the Vatican City—the first in 1935. and most recently in March. 1950. His sec ond trip lasted six weeks and took him to the Holy Land where he was privileged to spend Holy Week. In his early years as a priest, Monsignor Vogel labored with dis tinction in many small mission par ishes. He first spent two years at St. Elizabeth's. Roswell in Tus carawas County and the mission at Sherodsville. Then he was named assistant at St. Johns. Bellaire, and the mission at Neffs. In 1907. he was transferred to St Francis Xavier Church, Malvern, with Msgr. Bernard Vogel and later the Bishop presided in the sanctuary as Monsignor Vogel was celebrant at Solemn Benedic tion. Following Benediction, a recep tion was held as a public tribute to the beloved pastor. In accepting the prelate's resig nation. Bishop Ready declared: "You are, and have been, the good and faithful servant of Our Lord, Jesus Christ, and His Church. The church of Colum bus will continue to be edified by your pastoral works and will profit from your constant pray ers in behalf of your brethren in the priesthood." Monsignor Vogel now makes his home in a cottage on the grounds of St. Raphael's Home. With him is his sister. Miss Margaret Vogel, who supervised the rectory while hei brother was pastor i St Leo’s Church.